1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having it not all figured out

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by teenageblue, Apr 25, 2017.

1. teenageblue

I'm an 18 yo cis girl thats been questioning for a few years now. I'm pretty sure I like girls, and I strongly lean towards id'ing as a lesbian/hope I'm a lesbian (even though that might be an ignorant thing to say in a heteronormative world, but I just would hate so much to have to date guys:/).+ I 'came out' to one of my friends by telling her I like a girl/have liked other girls but don't know what I am. there's just 2 things holding me back from using lesbian as an identity for myself.

1. I have had strong feelings towards one person in my life, and it was a guy. at the time I was convinced I was in love, but looking back at it now, I don't know if you can really say that at 11/12 years old. I was always nervous around him, thought he was the most beautiful person, my chest swelled up when he touched me etc. however, I don't remember once thinking about kissing him or touching him in any way (maybe because I was so young?) and I remember greatly trying to suppress this crush+hide it from my friends, thinking I would way rather not feel this way about him. today this guy is still my best friend and I feel nothing whatsoever towards him, I don't think I can deny I once had a big crush on him but it's now just a great platonic one.
    I've never felt this way about anyone else, even the girl I like now and have liked for the last few years I don't feel the crazy butterflies for, it's just a super nice feeling I get from her, always wanting her around + imagining kissing her and going further..

2. because of that one crush on that one guy, I'm held back from calling myself a lesbian, but bisexual doesnt feel right either, because I can't see myself with any guy at this point. HOWEVER, whenever I see a guy anywhere (in public or in pictures) regardless of whether they're a stranger or not, regardless of whether I think they're good looking, this uncomfortable/nervous feeling creeps up on me and I don't know if itvhas to do with suppressed hetero attraction (I know.....) or if its caused by my anxiety about the possibility of feeling attracted to them and discovering that I do like guys afterall. this physiological reaction has heavily increased after coming out to that one person because coming out more publicly is more of a realistic prospective now and I'm scared of there not being a turning back once I've come out for liking girls.
    I don't feel this way at all when looking at (attractive) girls, that usually just makes me feel really nice and warm inside, say oh my god!!!!! shes so hot/pretty!!, or give me that ~feeling~ down there. there's usually no butterflies or feeling in my chest, which then also makes me insecure about how genuine my attraction to girls is.
    I guess what I wanna know is: is it normal to feel this nervous around the gender you claim not to be attracted to?

I'm sorry this is so long, I hope someone out there can grant me w some wisdom or calm my mind down a little because I have daily freakouts abt not having this all figured out lol!!! thanks in advance n I hope everyone has a good day

Cydonian Knight likes this.
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I label myself as gay but i have a similar issue myself. I question myself from time to time, because even now i can notice when a guy is good looking. But its nothing more than that - oh hey he looks nice. Now and even during my middle school guy crush phase its always been purely because they were aesthetically pleasing. They were nice to look at, but i never wanted anything from them. Growing up in middle school i would crush on guys but it was always innocent - staring at them, feeling nervous, etc. I could never imagine wanting to kiss them or date them or anything. When other girls went gaga over a shirtless guy picture i just didn't get the facination - it was an 'huh okay...next!' sort of thing with me. I would try to play along and pretend but i think they could tell.

But with girls, i would check them out from as young as 6th grade. But because i mislabelled these actions/feelings as rude and inappropriate...i just spent the rest of my school life repressing it. I convinced myself i liked guys for the longest time, but because i didn't actually want to date a guy, i just simply never dated. Ever. I would get questions of if i was gay periodically from time to time and i always answered that i was straight because thats what i believed, but despite that it never felt right rolling off my tongue.

#2 AlexJames, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
    Cydonian Knight likes this.