1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to the club

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by kscurious, Apr 26, 2017.

1. kscurious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm planning on going to the club tonight by myself. what should i look for. what are the "signs" that someone is flirting with you. What are some warning signs for unsafe situations (I have common sense ones) but if there are any specific to the LGBT community it would be appreciated. Thanks

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The easiest sign is from mutual eye contact. When both you and another person make eye contact, and it sticks, that's usually a good sign. When the eye contact is repeated, then it's time to make an approach and start to interact with him - whether you just start to dance, begin with a hello, or simply nod to reciprocate the contact.

If someone comes up and just starts dancing with you, make sure to evaluate how he is behaving, be sure to get a glance in the other persons eyes and see if you both connect.

You do need to use your judgement as to whom to interact with in order to be safe. If someone appears heavily intoxicated or under the influence of a drug, I would personally stay way. If you order a drink, make sure to always keep the drink in your eyesight, never leave it sitting somewhere and if your talking with someone, be sure to remain conscious of the drink in your hand. I have never had this happen to me, but you do want to avoid having someone slip something in your drink.

Assuming your of legal age (24 I imagine is in Chicago), be sure to moderate your own alcohol intake. The most dangerous thing you can do is drink too much and loose your own ability to judge your surroundings. So know your limitations and stick to them. Drinking beyond your thresholds can lead to bad decision making, getting sick, horrible hangovers and engaging with people you may not have otherwise wanted to engage with. It might seem cool, it might impress people you are with or whom your meeting there, but it will certainly not be good for you.

When I go to a club, I will drink a lot of water throughout the day before I go to ensure I am hydrated (you will sweat a lot if your actively dancing), and I limit myself to no more than two drinks while I am there. Two drinks for me is just enough to be relaxed and allow myself to embrace the music. I will pace the two drinks throughout the evening (one when I get there and another a few hours later) . In between the two drinks, I drink lots of sparkling water to remain hydrated. For me, the atmosphere, the music, the people surrounding the dance floor, all do enough to allow me to age a great time - I do not need to be drunk in order to have fun and you should not need to either.

Finally, if you are going alone you should tell someone not going with you Where and when your going. Then send them a text that you are leaving the club, and then finally another when you are home safe.

You can have a great time in a club and meet great people. My husband and I went to one this past weekend and, even as a couple, met people from out of town whom we hung out with and enjoyed the evening with - even becoming Facebook friends to stay in touch. When you go, the experience you have will be what you make of it.

Good luck and have fun!

#2 OnTheHighway, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017