1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm struggling with my sexuality and I've never talked to anyone about it before

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Melissajuice, May 18, 2017.

1. Melissajuice

I'm a 19 year old girl in college and working a pretty professional job. I have had crushes on girls for as long as I can remember. When I was young I started having crushes on girls before boys. I've never told any girl I had a crush on that I felt that way. I've only had relationships with guys. I've never spoken to anyone about my sexuality. I find myself physically attracted to both men and women. I have a difficult time building an emotional and romantic connection with men and find it easier with women. However, I'm not sexually attracted to men or women. I find myself a little bit sexually attracted to someone when I am attracted to their personality and have an emotional connection with them. I really only like doing sexual things to please the other person though. I put 110% into all relationships I have and the most important thing to me is to make the other person happy and pleasing them makes me very happy. Every relationship I've had has been with a violent man who abuses me. I think it would be really difficult to find a girl that I could have a good relationship with. I'm a pretty feminine girl and I'm small and fit. A lot of people think I'm attractive. I'm attracted to other feminine girls. I don't care much about the way people look. I really value people's personalities and having shared interests with them. My interests are pretty out there though. I've never met a person with the same taste in music as me. I dislike most people and have a general distaste for the world around me but I know that's unhealthy and I'm trying to make it better. I don't look like I like girls at all really and I'm very shy. I'm not sure how I would ever meet a girl in the first place. I've been in college for a year and I've never spoken to anyone while there. Another problem is that I'm not really into sexual stuff. If I was in a relationship and I had strong feelings I would want to do sexual things because I like pleasing a partner. I wouldn't want to ever do anything sexual casually though and it seems like most people want that. I guess the question I'm asking is: is there any hope of ever finding another feminine girl to be with that likes really out there shit, doesn't care that I'm not super into sex, and could maybe understand me? I'm afraid that I'll never find anyone because I have trouble getting out of my shell and talking to people and I see myself ending up with another mean abusive guy. I'd like to share this stuff with a real person and I have a hard time opening up to people. I just wish I could open up to another girl that I had feelings for and have a relationship like that so I could figure myself out and find out what I want. I'm not sure what my sexuality even is I just know that what I'm doing isn't working for me. :help::help::help::help:

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no expert on people or relationships. Reading your post it sounds like you could be a demiromantic asexual.

Is there an lgbt+ on campus you could go to?

So what are your interests and what music do you like?

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    !

Hey Melissajuice,

Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

Only you can actually know your own sexuality.

From what you describe in your post, I can only say that you don't seem to just be straight. There is nothing wrong about that.

I would tell you that, given the fact that we grow up in a heteronormative society, many LGBTQ people grow up with internalized homophobia/mental blocks which have to be overcome to understand and accept our own sexuality.

The most basic thing is to listen to your body. To whom are you attracted? Forget stereotypes promulgated by the general population. You would be no less attracted to feminine girls as a gay/bi woman regardless of whether you, yourself, are a feminine or 'butch' woman. Stereotypes are bullshit. You are who you are. You can't and shouldn't expect to conform to stereotypes. You are a unique and wonderful individual. "Simply" (yeah, a basic word with a ton of implications) embrace who YOU are and just be YOU.

I hope that helps a little.:slight_smile:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. Take a deep breath it's going to be ok.

You absolutely have a chance of finding a girl. There are plenty of other girls who are attracted to you that look feminine. It's just they are much harder to spot than what society deems to be a stereotypical lesbian. We all have different music tastes and interests and there will definitely be others like you.
    It is more common than you think to need an emotional connection to someone before you find someone attractive.
    I agree with quantumreality you definitely don't sound straight but labels are not the most important.
    Does your college have a queer straight alliance or an LGBT group or anything?