1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More confident about same-sex attractions, now doubting opposite-sex ones

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by LunaMare, May 22, 2017.

1. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since joining a few months ago I've become a lot more confident about being interested in girls. I've told a friend about it and it felt so right that this can't just be my imagination anymore. but now the more I think about girls, the less I can see myself with a boy so I've stared to doubt my previous attractions.

I've never had a boyfriend except when I was 7. I obviously don't feel like that counts even though I was crazy about him when I was a kid.
    I've always been a romantic person and I wanted a 'boyfriend' but I've never actually been in love with one. Usually when me and my friends talked about a boy, I would say things like: yes I like him but... he's not my type, I don't want to be with him, something bothers me about him... And I turned down every boy that ever showed any interest in me. I always had this ideal boyfriend in my head but I never met anyone like that and it was always about character traits that aren't specific for a boy but count for girls as well (often things that are easier to find in girls)

I did have a few crushes. I often liked boys when I first saw them but when I got to know them better that often faded because eventually there was always something I didn't like about them. There are 2 guys I had a stronger crush on. 1 I met on vacation and liked him a lot but we were just friends and after the vacation I never saw him again. Don't know what would have happened if he'd had any interest in me. I only knew him for 1 week so maybe that feeling would have faded as well if I'd known him a bit longer. The 2th was a guy I met last year. From the moment I saw him I was interested in him but he is a real playboy. We are great friends and one day when we were at a party and both drunk we kissed. He was the first and only boy I ever kissed and I liked it. After that I did think about him a lot and we kissed once more but again just a drunk kiss. I know he is not interested in me and that doesn't really bother me because I could never be with someone that doesn't take relationships seriously. Then a while ago after my 'realisation' that I'm not straight, we kissed again and I felt nothing.

I also had quite some obsessions with celebrities and fictional characters like Damon Salvator, Jamie from Outlander and many others. I still think these men are incredibly sexy.

I've never felt like I've lied when I talked about certain guys/characters but I've just never been really in love with a guy or imagined a future with one. In the past I've never experienced crushes on girls as crushes because I didn't see it that way at the time but I know now there have definitely been attractions in the past. Still I've felt more things for boys then girls in the past. But ever since I admitted to myself that I like girls I can really see my future with a girl and a lot less with a guy. I notice girls all the time now and almost never guys. I used to have no problem seeing myself with a guy but the whole husband, house, kids thing and the stereotypical gender roles have never interested me.

Maybe this lack of interest in guys right now is because of the fact that my fantasies about girls are new and exciting or maybe I've just lived such a heteronormative life that I just assumed certain things were attractions, idk what to think. I feel like if I would be with a guy right now I'd always feel like I'm missing out on experiencing love with a girl but I don't think that would happen the other way around.

I' m starting to feel ready to come out to more people but I just really want to understand myself first and I thought maybe some of you would have some advice :slight_smile:

Thanks for sticking with me till the end :slight_smile:

2. gaylor

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow nice to hear, I am totally in a similar boat right now!! While I don't have any real answers for you, I'll just share my though process and maybe it'll help!

I try to keep reminding myself that it is totally okay to have feelings for men and women and that there is no rush to completely commit to a label yet. Although I am fairly certain I'm a lesbian and identify as such in my head, I think the transition from "straight" to something else can be difficult especially when you have lead such a heteronormative life for so long. Since I realized I liked girls I have slowly been abandoning the idea that I will end up spending my life with a guy. It has been gradual and I still sometimes go back and forth on the idea because I know for a fact I used to like guys, even though I somehow made it 21 years without a boyfriend.

I also wonder if my lack of interesting men is because of my exciting newfound interest in girls. The main thing is that I know it would be easier to just be with a guy, and if i truly still liked them or wanted to be with them it should be no problem. After months of thinking about this, my desire to spend my life with women has just grown stronger. So for me that had helped my gain confidence in the fact that I am just not into men even though it may take some more time to fully accept the idea.

Even if you still like men, you just might prefer women which is totally fine. I think you should just allow yourself to feel what you feel and be with who you want to be with, which may be a man or a woman, at the end of the day just do what will make you the happiest.

Hopefully that was helpful, Im still a little confused about this stuff myself!

3. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! it's awesome to hear a similair story!
    Why does all of this have to be so damn confusing???? :wink:
    You gave some great advice, definitely some things to keep in mind so thanks a lot :grin:

4. laviedadele

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel very similar. I am only interested in girls now, and I've told myself not to date another guy until I've properly explored my same-sex attractions. I have always felt something missing with guys, and any brief romantic encounter with a girl has felt infinitely better and like the tip of an iceberg. I can't ignore that. If girls turn out to be as dull as guys have done then fine, but I think it's unlikely. I have been beginning to date girls which has been a big step.

When I'm going about my day maybe 10 girls will catch my eye compared to a couple of guys. My fantasies about girls are more exciting, and I feel that difference is on a biochemical level, its something I can't control but its strong.

But it feels like a bit of a lie if I say I have never liked guys. I have. Not fallen in love but there was one guy I think I could've. Perhaps I like guys in a different way but I don't know yet. What has helped the most is to come out to people (as seeking girls/not straight/whatever) and be able to talk about it, I've found its a lot to deal with on your own. I also wanted to wait until I really understood myself first but it was troubling me so much I had to talk about it.

5. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey laviedadele!
    Thanks for the great advice. I have no dating experience whatsoever so I find it very hard to figure this out. I can really see myself in that last paragraph and I think I'll try to talk to some people. I feel like I'll always be in doubt if I don't decide to just take some action.

6. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going through this too. I feel like there is some truth in realizing that, although there was interest in guys before, a lot of attraction is a result of heteronormative expectation, or at least it was for me.
    I have the least possible amount of dating experience, as in I haven't even liked a person that was also gay/liked me back, but I still feel pretty confidently in my heart that I know my identity. Lots of self-exploration should really benefit!

7. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Breanna

If you know it in your heart, that's the most important thing of all. I feel like that too on most days but I'm still doubting myself and having no experience isn't exactly helping :wink:

8. Ibrake4Ramen

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hello Lunamar,

Excellent post! I wonder if anyone else was a little taken back by your story--it's so similar to mine and to others I know, it's almost unnerving.

Does the thought of losing that attraction to the opposite sex upset you? If it helps to put you at ease, my opposite-sex attractions have diminished over time but not disappeared and I don't think they ever will. This probably has more to do with increased self-acceptance and confidence than anything else regarding my own sexuality. Maybe this is the same for you?

Try not to get hung up on it. Sexual orientation is a spectrum and you don't have to "pick a side" despite what many--both straight and LGBT--might tell you.

Don't sweat it. You'll figure things out. :wink:

9. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for your advice!

It doesn't really bother me that I don't have any interest in boys right now. I feel ready to try and meet a girl. But I guess I'm afraid to rule out boys 'officially' like I keep thinking, how do I know I'm not going to fall in love with a guy one day? I feel like that could still happen. I know I don't have to pick a label but that just makes it hard to explain things to everyone. I don't want to tell every person I come out to my life story :wink: I think ´queer' would fit me best but I don't think it's a word that's understood by most straight people I know

And even though I feel quite confident right know I'm still afraid that if it ever comes to being with a girl, I'll realize it's not for me

10. peachy06

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I relate to this. I've felt that when I started considering if I could be gay, I practically stopped having crushes on guys. Before, I had a few crushes but this past year I have only had one on a guy, and now I don't feel any attraction to him so I think this could be a result of me no longer putting pressure on myself to be attractive to men. Compulsory heterosexuality conditions women to feel that it is necessary for them to achieve attention from men to be valued. I think as I gained more confidence and higher self esteem as well, that need for validation from men started to disappear.

I would say, try out some different labels, if you want. Read about other people's experiences. Above all, give yourself time and know that there is no time limit for this and that you don't even have to label yourself if you don't want to. Try to really listen to yourself and what your mind and body is telling you. Best of luck!

#10 peachy06, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  11. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks a lot peachy06! you're right, I want all the answers right now but I know I have to take it slow and listen to myself. It's hard because my mind changes all the time but I fell like I'm getting ther :slight_smile: