1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sexuality hints?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ADTR fan, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

so for those of us who do not have a good gay-dar (ie. me, myself, and... a few others i know) what are some tips for guessing someone's sexuality? i find that the majority of gay people i know, have their facebook interested section left blank. i had it that way until i put interested in men and women. anyone else know anything?

2. Ralf

1) BODY LANGUAGE: really big give-away there. anything from hair-flicks to walks can give someone away...

2) Voice: Not always the case, but sometimes gays have camp voices (could be confused REALLY easily with Camps, however)

that's all i know :astonished:

3. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tread lightly, ya'll, this would be flame bait anywhere else.

The truth is, you don't know. If a dude is flaming or a girl is butch, are they gay? Well, there is a higher chance, but it is still a crap shoot. I didn't stick out as gay, my roommate definitely doesn't. In fact, you'd never guess he was. Really you have no way of knowing for sure except for asking.

I do have a "little black notebook" of indicators that I use, but that doesn't mean they're fool-proof, and it would only filter out a fraction of gay people. At the end of the day, it's profiling and not really good for much more than gossipy speculation and titillation.

That is not to say it's impossible to tell. Some people just stick out. But that is probably more due to social norms keeping people in their box of gender roles and being out breaking that hold. If there wasn't such a strong pressure to meet gender stereotypes, it would probably be much harder to pick people out.

4. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Even though this seems pretty obvious, I never thought about it until someone told me they knew I was gay because I never talked about women. At the time I was kind of shocked, because I thought I had done such a good job acting straight...but in reality I had forgotten to do the thing that actually makes you straight (being interested in the opposite sex). :eusa_doh:

On that same note, I notice some gay people play the pronoun game. Like instead of me saying, "I saw this really hot guy the other day," I would say, "I saw this really hot person the other day." Not exactly like that...but you get the idea.

Of course it's impossible to know for sure unless the person lets you in on it.

5. Steam Giant

What someone says or doesn't say, or what they talk about, can also give them away.

For instance, when I start talking with a 19 year old female coworker about a beauty pageant. Or when everyone's sharing their conquest stories and I just keep quiet.

Now, anyone here will tell you that those aren't exactly *STAMP* "You're Gay!" However, when combined with other similar behaviors that you happen to observe, including, as Schnucki said, their body language or their voice, you could get a pretty strong hint that someone might be gay.

And of course, a hint isn't everything. For certainty, you have to ask ^^

6. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or you could be like me and try to pull acting straight AND being confused about the male obsession with breasts...:eusa_doh:

7. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

If you ask me even how people speak and how the walk and all that isn't an indicator as this could mean anyone really. Although how they act around people and what they say is the biggest hint to what gender they like, as said before. Straight men will blab on and on about girls and the likes while the gay man would probably stay quiet and not join in with the blabing. Also the fact with never going out with at girl would be a rather big indicator as well. Although this could be that they don't want one due to school issues or that. So really the only way to know is ask. Simple as that really. No matter how much you look into someones behaviour you will never get the real facts about them with out asking. If you were to meet me you wouldn't think that I was so you would miss out knowing by trying to read me than asking. Thats my 2p worth. :grin:

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i've got a really good gaydar but i have no idea how it works. i'm rubbish at reading other body language but i've always had an uncanny knack of picking other queers out... wish i could be more helpful!! It seems that often the eyes give it away for me.

9. ArcusPuer

-a twitch of some kind at the mention of gay related topics
    -many girls as friends
    -perfect eyebrows
    -smells nice
    -hair flicks
    -the voice, oh god the voice
    -awkward smiles at other guys

there is a bigger list but it's late.

these are some of the ones i go by as a general rule.
    the last one is iffy but kinda works.

10. haelmarie

I don't want to make a generalization, but male gays tend to be poised. They carry themselves well.

11. LivingInLyric

Mine's blank, too. Thing is, my boss, parents, and some aunts and uncles have me added as a friend, and I'm not comfortable with them seeing me put "Men" and "Women".

12. Paragon

Paragon Guest

check, check, check, check, check, check
    They must know!!!! I reckon most people suspect me, meh...

13. AtomicCafe

Most of the gay people I know are quite a bit older than me (like, between late 20s and 50s), so I usually look for what they say or don't say. I notice more closeted gay people get sort of defensive when marriage is mentioned, for example. Besides that -- and this is a generalization but it usually serves me well -- if I meet an attractive, kind, intelligent person over the age of about 25 or 30 who doesn't have a wedding ring, I tend to assume they're gay. My gaydar is really good but I have a hard time figuring why....

14. The facebook status being blank is a good one. Another is if they refer to significant others as 'they' rather than he or she. ((it's bad grammar though :eek:slight_smile:) As in "So then we went to their house and I kissed them" rather than kissed him/her. Or eyes is another one. If they're checking out members of the same sex, or if you get some good eye contact going on.

15. Alex19

the facebook status one is a definitely!!!! straight ppl wont hesitate to put what their interested in. but sometimes if it says something, it can later be altered or deleted for something else

16. littledinosaurs

These are how i tell if some guys are gay/bi :
    -standing with one leg bent and the other completely straight and slightly to the side (you'd know if it you saw it)
    -Jeans(or any pants that aren't sweatpants) and flip-flops
    -Blackberries
    -Vests (light fashion vests)
    -White shoes (not sneakers, shoes)
    -Facebook interested blank when other information is provided (such as birthday, sex, political views, etc)
    -nice looking jackets.
    -monroe piercing.
    -Designer jeans.
    -Makeup
    -Tight pants
    -Voice

(These are not meant to be offensive, they just have been good indicators in my history of viewing people in my area)

#16 littledinosaurs, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  17. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sigh maybe this is why I'm single.
    Affirmative: Facebook, Jeans + flip flops(I had no idea)
    Somewhere in between: Nice looking jackets - I Have some nice looking ones but the ones I typically wear are the "wear cuz its cold outside and don't really care how they look"

On the no side:
    blackberry - I have a cheap frequently dropped nokia $20 phone.
    vests: I own none
    White shoes: Once again - negative
    monroe piercing: nope
    Makeup: can't say I've ever worn makeup
    tight pants: I really can't stand tight jeans. Never owned any.

Not sure:
    Voice - Maybe[not a good judge of myself], but it probably just gets lost in football talk. :icon_wink
    Standing leg bent thing: Not sure what that is...possibly, I know I have atypical postures at times.

But in all seriousness, back to OP. For me:
    1. Stereotypical behavior(many get caught here but so do straight drama kids)
    2. Pronoun referencing. While some closeted gay people will lie and tell the other gender, more typically people just change the references to gender neutral.
    3. Gay rights. I tend to get suspicious when people get irked over some gay rights(or even gay related) issue. Even if they don't speak up facial expressions can be telling.

None of these are foolproof. More importantly,IMHO, it is just important to get to know people and be open about yourself.

18. x2x2x2x2y2

You can't really tell if someones gay. All the people who listed gay stuff, I pretty much don't do any of it. Except I never talk about girls unless my friends ask me. I've taught myself to not even look at a hot guy. Seriously, it's not hard for me to look away. I figured out all the typical gay manurisms when I was younger and taught myself not to do any of those cuz I didn't want anyone to be suspecious. Now I consider myself pretty good at it, though I wish I would/could talk about girls. lol I don't really know what makes a girl hot, which is my huge downfall when I talk to my friend about sex and girls. =\ i kinda like the fact that I don't act the way a stereotypical gay person would. ok I'm done ranting for now. Lol but I'm just a good example cuz my mom said she had no idea I was gay.

19. Corny

Corny Guest

I'm sorry, but looks, clothes and other behavior (standing with one leg bent .. seriously .. ?) don't help you at all.
    The *only* thing that imho is partially helping is if you closely observer if he turns his head after girls or if his eyes stay a bit too long on a guy. Most straight guys especially when single will look after a hot girl (or some even check every girl out), while most gay guys are totally oblivious to the fact that a hot girl just passed them.
    But even that is not a 100percent sign :slight_smile:
    Also they are often very quiet if their buddies are talking about this hot girl and that hot girl etc .. (but there are also those who make up stories for this kind of talk ..)
    And this:

20. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    Do tell.