1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholicism and Sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by bebebe, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    this may sound like an oxymoron but I'm curious if there are any Catholic writers, lay or otherwise that have tackled/written about the issue of sexuality and faith in an affirming way.

I'm a practicing Catholic and I don't see that changing (luckily I'm a convert so I didn't grow up with Catholic guilt) because my faith does provide a lot of comfort and other positives to my life. I'm also a pretty free thinker and have no problem recreating a story that fits for me rather than following the status quo.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would start by simply re-evaluating sexuality. I think that even though various Christian teachings have been very hurtful to every sexual--and that goes for straight, cisgender people too--they do get a lot right.

For example, we are cautioned to avoid jealousy of others' partners. In addition, we are enjoined to be loyal and to shun promiscuity. While not all people are programmed the same way (so I'm not going to call all of these things universally good), they do operate as good pointers for ethical sexual and romantic behavior. And they are all things supported by Christian teaching.

3. dano22

dano22 Guest

I am have been a catholic all my life and the church has been in my family's life for years and I honestly grew tired of how the church behaved towards not only gay people but towards people who are pro gay marriage catholics. They are frowned on by the church and some are even denied communion and confirmation because of their difference in opinion. I would personally look into other churches but its really up to you and for you to see what your comfortable. If you find enough support and love in your church thats great. It is just not working for me anymore.

4. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thanks Pret :slight_smile: This is my beliefs about human relationships in general.

Dano - I can totally respect where you're coming from. I already handed my Catholic gold-star back years ago when i refused to marry my son's dad.

I am very drawn to mysticism and this faith provides that (which helps me deal with my depression/anxiety). The rest I can give or take.

5. TheLonelyOne

TheLonelyOne Guest

My family and I are Catholic and I was raised Catholic, I never experienced this guilt at all and my family accepts everyone. Jesus never said anything about gay being bad, also he hung around with 12 guys all the time. :icon_wink Strangely idk where my feeling about not wanting to be gay came from.

6. dano22

dano22 Guest

You are very lucky to come from a very accepting catholic family. I know there are lots out there and some of my family members are not too bad but i am glad your family is very accepting.

7. xxMMxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a Irish catholic and trust me the catholic church are the last people who should have any say on sexuality anyway after all the stuff they done to kids. Don't listen.

8. Epipleptic

While these writings are rather academic, I would check out The Sexual Person by Salzman and Lawler and Sex and the Single Savior by Dale Martin. Martin isn't Catholic, but he does a take a good look at the problematic passages on homosexuality in the Bible. Also, check out Dignity and see if that's something for you.

9. dano22

dano22 Guest

OK yes there have been catholic priests in the church who molested kids, so have other positions of authority. Just because some priests did molest kids does not mean ALL priests have done stuff to kids. I am not fond of the catholic church anymore but I know not all priests are child molesters.

10. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you very, very much. Don't worry about it being very academic. I did a minor in religious studies way back when :slight_smile:

11. sguyc

I was raised Catholic and my parents were great with my orientation and are generally accepting people. At the very least there is a greater percentage of accepting Catholics than the crazy fundie religions. Another great thing about catholicism is that they are allowed to actually interpret the bible instead of taking it word for word (Though like the constitution, there are "official" church interpretations, but w/e its better than nothing).

12. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is actually why I became a Catholic. I was originally Protestant but when I was studying comparative religion (not just Christianity), I realized that most things in Catholicism are actually up for debate and I didn't have to follow along if I didn't want to and I found it very liberating.

I wish that things were like that in practice though because I find the legalism bent so frustrating (I blame the fact that people seem to stop learning about their faith when they end sunday school at like 12. I feel like lots of 'religious' adults around with a 12 year old understanding of religion and twelve year olds can be quite judgmental about things).

13. mart83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm Catholic as well and it has taken me many years to reconcile being Catholic and being gay. I have read several affirming books by theologians and historians and have several of them to be very helpful. James Alison is a theologian whom I admire very much, and I recommend especially his books "Faith Beyond Resentment"; "Undergoing God"; and "Broken Hearts and New Creations". He has a website that has many of his articles and talks on it: James Alison. Theology

Also, John McNeill wrote several great books including "The Church and the Homosexual" and "Taking a Chance on God." And John Boswell wrote two great books about the history of the church, "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality" and "Same-Sex Unions in Pre-Modern Europe."

I would also second the suggestion of looking to see if there is a Dignity chapter near you. Hope this helps!

14. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    thank you very much Mart...this is exactly what I was looking for :slight_smile:

And Dignity has a chapter in my city so I'm going to check them out this month or next.

#14 bebebe, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  15. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I fully agree with mart83. I cannot recommend "Faith Beyond Resentment: Fragments Catholic and Gay" enough. James Alison, all the way!

16. Hoofbeats

x2. I started at age 15, to reject their teachings. Something about me, as a female, not being "allowed" to ever hold a high position in their church rubbed me the wrong way. No one on earth should ever be able to tell me that I cannot do something good for myself and humanity because of what's between my legs or not.

It saddens me that anyone who's gay should even have to, for a second, feel like they are sinning or evil or bad for being who they are. Any religion that says that really hurts me, and it's taken me over half of my life to unlearn the shame that they instilled into me. But I wish anyone luck if they are trying to make their identities work within such institution.

17. dano22

dano22 Guest

That is why more people are loving God and hating religion is because there is no loving God in some churches anymore. There is only a god who condemns and divides people in some churches and those churches I will not be a part of.