1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do we question our sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by woundsneverheal, Dec 8, 2012.

1. i had to re-post this because i accidently put it in the anonymous section

i questioned my sexuality when i started having a crush on this girl in my Spanish class and haven't stopped since.

is there a reason we question our sexuality?
    what usually happens when we question?

2. because we are curious about ourselves and want to find the answer to this curiosity when there was something to initialize this curiosity.

this curiosity is addressed through questions; these questions are based on our sexuality.

3. hmmm...

4. Given To Fly

We question because we (most of us anyway) are conditioned all our lives to seek heterosexual relationships. So when we find ourselves finding that we actually prefer the same sex, it is a shock to the system.

As to what happens? Personally I think that if you find yourself being attracted to members of the same sex, then theres no point fighting it - trust me I fought it for 15 years or so and as a result I sometimes feel like all I've done is waste 15 years of my life. Of course, it's easier said than done, and if I'd had access to a resource like EC 15 years ago, things would probably have turned out quite different for me.

Whatever happens, good luck.

5. yeah , a lot of people say ...i'm going through a phase and i'm just going to realize i'm straight but hell if i know

6. Given To Fly

The thing is though, what other people say is irrelevant - you are the one going through it, and only you truly know whether what you describe as a crush is 'real'. Maybe you are stright, and if so then thats ok. Maybe you aren't, and that's ok too. You are far from alone, and I'll go out on a limb and say that the majority of LGBTQ (how on earth is that spelt anyway lol) have gone through, or are going through the 'questioning' stage at some point.

7. i'd just wish it would stop to be quite honest. it's been going on for a year...and the 'crush' i had on the girl in my spanish class....i felt like it was a crush because i always thought about her and i'd always stare her then i'd get those 'butterflies' when i was around her and i got them when she hugged me one time

8. Given To Fly

Do you ever get those sorts of feelings around guys? Or even other girls? I'm not expecting an answer, it's just something to think about.

If it is the case that you aren't straight, then accepting it is the first step. Of course, I know only too well how difficult that is. I'm guessing that you've already brought the subject up among friends, since you said that other people say it's just a phase - how supportive do you think they'll be if you were to come out as lesbian/bi? It really helps to have the support of friends. I know I couldn't have got as far as I have without some really great people behind me.

9. well....i can't remember how i'd feel around guys , for some reason , i can't but i know i had crushes on them because i'd try to impress them

but you can read this and see what you think

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/support-advice/76201-if-only-i-understood.html

10. Given To Fly

That sort of explains where your at. I think NotBrian sums it up nicely with this point

As I said before, it's 'expected' that you are attracted to boys. If you try, and find you aren't, then it is a shock to the system.

In all honesty, if you feel like you are attracted to girls, then unless you try, and attempt a relationship, you're always going to wondering 'what-if'. If it doesn't work out, and you decide you prefer guys after all, then at least you've given yourself the chance. That's my take on it anyway.

11. Neutrality

Ya know I've questioned myself a lot over the years, I was so confused because I had crushes on both sexes...and I still question myself and have no idea why....I've learned that sometimes it's easier to just not worry about it...I know having a label for your feelings helps make you feel "normal" and be able to relate to people....but, for me it was easier to just say..." If I'm attracted to a girl I'll ask her out and if I feel attracted to a guy I'll ask him out."...For me personally this helped me alot, because it let me stop worrying about the gender of a person and just focus on if I like them a lot...personally I think that is the best way to figure out your sexuality....just stop thinking about what you like and focus on who you like...if it winds up being all girls then great..if it's all guys great...if it's a mix of both great and if it's any combination between them then great!

12. its hard to tell if i am really attracted to girls...i assume , i am attracted considering...my crushes if they are real crushes but i have kissed a girl and i felt like this electricity run through me but i am not attracted to her

13. Josclare

Josclare Guest

When i was questioning whether or not i indeed liked girls i found it was because i couldn't get my head around whether i wanted to be them like i was jelouse of how they looked and what they had and thought they were pretty in a straight sort of way or whether i actually wanted to be with them and would date and sleep with women. The First time i fell hard for another girl i convinced myself that was the first time like i was straight it was just her then but then i really thought back and realised ow yeh there was that girl i couldnt stop staring at when i was 10 and that teacher who i worked hard to please and then when i first kissed a girl i realised it was completly different to when i kissed my then boyfriend. I am not saying you have to kiss a member of both sexes to know your gay but for me it sort of confirmed it because i was confused but it completly depends on you.