1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So now I've accepted my sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Lewis, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Lewis

Since accepting my sexuality a couple of years back, I've noticed a rise in other concerns regarding how I look and general life related problems. Is this the case for anyone else?

It seems that being gay and worrying about being gay has taken over most of my adolescent life and now that I don't worry about it as much, other things that I'm self-conscious about are coming to the surface. I guess I spent most part of my life thinking I'd never have the chance of being in a relationship, that I was going to hide it for the rest of my life and just stay single. But now there's the prospect of meeting somebody, I'm becoming really self/image-conscious. I guess before I accepted myself I had some kind of 'who cares what I look like' attitude.

It's like my mind is making up for all those years that teenagers usually stress about their looks. Maybe I'm talking rubbish and we all have those concerns throughout all of our lives, but it seems like since coming out to myself, they've gone into overdrive. :confused:

2. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's natural. I haven never really cared about being in shape because I didn't think I'd ever be in a relationship. Now I want to be in a relationship and I'm really shy of my body. It's natural. What helps me is realizing that we tend to magnify our insecurities by 1000% so anything that you hate about yourself seems worse to you then it does to anyone else.

3. Lewis

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing either - I can now focus on myself rather than what others may think of me and can just have everyday worries like other people.

It was a constant battle between me and being gay, so it's a relief that I can just moan about other things now! :slight_smile: