1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I dicsuss my sexuality before I'm certain I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by blue24, Mar 5, 2013.

1. blue24

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Recently I have been thinking I might be ready to talk to a friend about my thoughts I may be gay and concerns I have over the possibility I may have to come out in the future.

I am a 22 year old girl. Despite having questioned my sexual orientation for around 6 years I have always told myself I would never come out unless I was in a relationship with a girl. That way if somehow i did fall in love with a guy I haven't gone through the torment unecesarily. However having reached the age of 22 and still never had a relationship with a girl or a guy I'm now starting to think maybe I should talk through how I feel to enable me to move on with my life and face up to things.

I know many people say don't come out to anyone until you are 100% comfortable with it yourself and certain. I would not say I am certain (although im fairly sure) or comfortable. I haven't fully accepted it myself. Or maybe I have but the thought of other people knowing makes me doubt it.

So should I wait til I am in a relationship and am certain? And should I make sure I am 100% comfortable with it in my own mind before telling anyone? I'm really not sure, partly because I don't know if I will ever be ready!!!!

2. There's no reason why you shouldn't speak to your friends, if you expect that they will react well and be able to give you good and open advice. As you haven't had the experience you were wanting to be able to make your mind up, perhaps this discussion is exactly what you need to at least become a little more comfortable with things. I suggest that you try mailing one of the admins here and having a private discussion with them if you don't want to speak to your friends.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you've got cool friends, there's no reason not to talk to them about this stuff. And getting into a relationship is a LOT easier if people know you're on the market. :slight_smile:

Lex