1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I dunno...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Evanescence, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Evanescence

Ergh.

I'm not too sure what sexuality I can actually be defined as. Originally I considered myself to be straight until I was about 15 years old, then I decided to "label myself" as bi-curious and genuinely felt my feelings for men getting stronger during that period, so I eventually decided I was probably full on biromantic.

Stayed that way for about 1.5 years (2 yrs inc. bicurious stage) and then I hit a point where attraction to men just felt really really wrong. Like trying to imagine dating a guy, making out with one, or even one flirting with me just makes me cringe and feel really... idk..."sick". (I'm not trying to offend anyone by saying 'sick', it is just how I feel - I don't care what others get up to though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Only conclusion I could come to was that I presumed I was biromantic and went through the bicurious stage too quickly and realised I wasn't - even though that's still a wooly reason.

However, I still have the errr .. "ability" to look at a guy and say "yes he's quite hot/attractive/good looking" whereas I know most straight males wouldn't do that. So I have a level of attraction to guys that doesn't reach the romance/date stage, but instead just finding them attractive... does this make me bi or what I'm really lost :frowning2:

-sorry this is so longgggg-

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say you're probably grey-asexual. Basically means you feel some sexual feelings, but considerably less intense than most people, so you're in between sexual and asexual.

As for whether you'd be gay or bi - how do you feel about girls?

3. AKTodd

Hi there:slight_smile:

I would somewhat contest the assertion that straight males wouldn't be able to determine that another guy is good looking. A goodly chunk of the entire men's fitness/fashion industry (Men's Health, GQ, probably others) is built on the idea of straight men looking a certain way, presumably for the purpose of attracting women. In order for this to work, straight men have to be able to detect/determine what is 'good looking' or these publications would be pretty meaningless to them.

I would suggest that there is a difference between being able to determine that someone is 'good looking' or 'attractive' by the standards of one's society and actually feeling any sexual desire toward them.

I can easily tell when a woman is good looking or attractive but I have no desire to have sex with them at all.

Notions of what is or is not 'good looking' have a large cultural component by the way. What Western civilization considers 'hot' or 'attractive' in the early 21st century was not by any means the standard of beauty some centuries ago ('beauty' for women was much more 'well padded' then what is popular now) nor is it what is considered beautiful in other cultures.

Just some thoughts,

Todd

4. Evanescence

Am questioning whether I am bi or straight :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm very much into women and still get romantic feelings for them from time to time :slight_smile:

The bold is the thing that keeps reassuring me, I did keep reconsidering whether a straight male is capable of telling if another guy is attractive or not. The male fitness industry is actually a really good example I didn't think of haha.

You've reassured me a fair bit, thanks :slight_smile:

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? I didn't know that.

Maybe my lack of opinion about whether people are 'hot' is an autistic thing rather than an asexual thing.

6. curlycats

i agree with AKTodd, one needn't be the least bit bisexual or biromantic to be able to recognize and even to appreciate the appearance/aesthetic of someone of the same sex/gender.