1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Bi

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by gawkystudent, Mar 25, 2013.

1. gawkystudent

I'm bisexual and I have several gay and straight friends. No one really cares that I'm into girls or guys or whatever. The biggest controversy is that I could go for either. The argument being that someone completely into the same sex doesn't choose to be that way, but that they are born homosexual. But I don't see someones gender as a prerequisite for being with them if that makes sense. I see the person. I also don't see race, religion or political party. Does that make me a bad person for not discriminating against a potential partner based on gender?

Advice?

2. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How would it be bad to not discriminate at all?

3. gawkystudent

A lot of people think that it's wrong not to choose one or the other. Like I would randomly leave who i'm with to be with someone of the opposite sex as them or that I would cheat because of that.

4. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's not wrong at all to choose who you want to be with no matter who they are. Plus it's a common stereotype that bisexual aren't capable of being monogamous. I just wouldn't worry about it.

5. Gee, you don't discriminate on ANYTHING about a person. Dear God that's disgusting!
    No, it doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you one of the most enlightened I've heard from.

6. gawkystudent

Not anything physically. yes there are things that I look for in a person, and yes i have a type per se. But i don't rule anyone out just because they are a specific gender, race, or stereotype...

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    You are explaining your bisexuality in terms of a "lack of discrimination'' and refusal to acknowledge ''stereotypes'' which implies that you think homosexuals and heterosexuals ''be discriminatin''.

l also question your sincerity in regards to asking whether your practices make you "a bad person".

#7 OMGWTFBBQ, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

OP, so apparently because I'm gay and not bi I only care about the equipment and nothing at all about the person. I'm obviously discriminatory :bang:. I have tried and tried with the opposite sex. Tried to be as open-minded as possible. There just is no chemistry or attraction. Straight and gay people do fall for the person. Being bisexual doesn't make you any better or "enlightened" than anyone else.

9. birdy

I think that people might be confused by your sexuality because they cannot relate to it personally. Most people are concerned about the gender of someone that they are attracted to. I don't mean to say that your experience of attraction is any less valid by any means, but it is less common (or at least less commonly expressed)

I also want to note that I don't think it's a form of discrimination to only be attracted to people of a single gender. Someone who isn't attracted to women isn't discriminating against women in my book.

10. isobella

Absolutely not at all! The biggest shame is to turn down a beautiful potential for true love solely because someone is not their 'preferred gender'. THAT is discriminatory.

11. gawkystudent

I was never trying to say that people who prefer one sex or another are discriminatory. I was merely saying that I do not have a preferred gender therefore people think that I am incapable of monogamy. I don't define my partner by their gender. So I was wondering why people who do have a preferred gender are so threatened by the idea of not having one or don't like.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2013 at 05:29 PM ----------

Also, in reference to enlightened bit, I don't not consider myself better than anyone else by any means. I don't care what other peoples preferences are at all. I was merely stating that people who do prefer one sex to another generally don't like that I could give a shit less.

12. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I agree some people don't like it and I don't know why. You are attracted to whoever you are attracted to. You have feelings for both, so you have a broader range. A lot of us only have feelings for one. I wouldn't call it discriminatory. Just not my taste. There's lots of foods we don't like. I kind of view sexual tastes somewhat in the same light as food tastes.