1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I just discovered my sexuality :)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by sillyolme, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sillyolme

Okay, so, I've never really been sexually attracted to guys (or girls really) only on occasion. All of my boyfriends have been purely on a "I like you as a person" factor and not on what they look like. I got asked if I would ever go out with a girl (and have sometimes had urges to kiss one) and I didnt really see a problem with it. I think one of my transgender friends looks cute (as I said, only occasionally get attracted, sexually) Looked up Pansexuality and it defines me perfectly. Or at least I think. What do you guys think? I've always been trying to define my sexuality....

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

If gender doesn't matter to you in deciding who you want to date, then I'd say pansexuality is probably a good fit, though of course you're the only one who can make the final call. Also, because you mention only rarely being sexually attracted to people, it might be worth investigating asexuality, gray-asexuality, and demisexuality, if you haven't already. It's perfectly possible to be pansexual and gray-/demisexual at the same time.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

3. sillyolme

Do you think I'm asexual? But it's not like I don't enjoy sex, kissing, etc. And I occasionally find someone cute. But only occasionally. People show me a picture of a guy with abs and I'm not particularly interested. And I'm not exactly breaking my neck to look at a "nice butt" Also, I get emotionally attracted

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

You can still enjoy kissing (and even sex!) and still be asexual. Asexuality is about sexual attraction, not sex drive, desire, arousal, or any other type of attraction. You can be aesthetically, emotionally, or even romantically attracted to someone without being sexually attracted to them. Do I think you're asexual? I don't know. I do think that, based on the fact that you say you only occasionally find people cute, you could be at least asexual-spectrum, but again, you're the only one who can make the final call.

5. curlycats

i'll second what Tetraquark said, and Tetraquark, you said it wonderfully. :slight_smile:

sillyolme, perhaps you are somewhere along the asexual spectrum and also pansexual/panromantic. only you can really decide that as only you know what you have and haven't experienced. as Tetraquark said, asexuality has nothing to do with not finding anyone aesthetically attractive, lacking a sex drive or not experiencing emotional attraction. asexuals, gray-asexuals and demisexuals can and do experience all of those things. it's all about whether or not one experiences sexual attraction.

[​IMG]

the above image illustrates different types of attraction from an asexual's point of view. asexuality, gray-asexuality and demisexuality are simply a lack of sexual attraction to varying degrees, not a lack of any other kind of attraction.

but hey, there's no hurry to label yourself with yet another label. it's great that you have found pansexuality and that it seems to work for you. :slight_smile:

6. Ruby

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That picture is amazing and lovely..for actual input into the thread my advice is pick something you like try and see it it fits and if it does good for you, if just declare yourself fantastically brilliant and be done with it!

7. sillyolme

Okay, I am really confused of the difference between demisexuality and grey-ace....

8. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Demisexuality could be considered a subcategory of gray-asexuality. Gray-asexuality means that most of the time you experience yourself as being more asexual than allosexual (having "normal" amounts of sexual attraction to people). Demisexuality would then be a specific type of gray-asexuality, where your day-to-day experiences are basically the same as someone who is asexual but you do experience sexual attraction to people you are emotionally attracted to.

Does that clear things up a bit? I know my writing can be a bit confusing at times.

9. sillyolme

Okay, that helps.... Does wanting to kiss friends count as demi?

10. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I guess you could say so. However, kissing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sexual attraction, so it could also count as anything else both on and off the ace-spectrum. It all depends more on why you want to kiss them. Is it because you like them as people, or is it because you are attracted to them? Of course, I know these things can't always be neatly separated.

11. sillyolme

Thanks :grin: You have really helped.. I'm just gonna say grey a panromantic, just cause its easier...

12. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Glad I could help. :slight_smile: