1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just out myself and get it over with?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Daydreamer1, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Facebook is the last place I'm not out, meaning I'll be out to family, friends, old classmates and so on. Should I just rip the bandage and treat it like a drunk decision in the morning or bite my tongue and hope I make it to my next therapy session to talk about it with my therapist? I know...come out when you're ready. But I'm aware if I don't do something soon I'll explode and my coming out then will be the result of a nervous break down that might put me in the hospital or worse. My ex and some others are telling me to go for it.

Right now, I'm not worried about losing support. I'm not worried about getting physically hurt now like before. I'm not worried about people leaving or abandoning me. I feel I've already lost everything and I have nothing else to live for. Hell, if someone jumps me or puts me in the hospital for this then they would be doing me a favor.

What do I do now? :help:

2. jackram

Well, first and foremost, you need to come out when you're ready. If you are ready to come out, then I encourage you to do so. If anyone gives you a hard time, you know who you should not associate with.

I haven't come out as trans* on Facebook yet, but I plan to very soon. I've slowly come out to a lot of people in my life, and I only had to remove one person from my life.

Best of luck!

3. LD579

If not many people know, that'd be a very large amount of people you end up outing yourself to. It's hard to say without knowing more details... But you should only out yourself when you feel comfortable and ready, not because you feel like you can't take the pressure of hiding anymore.

How would your immediate family react? How about your friends? Extended family?

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might be paranoia, but I think all my friends know and my family would probably say "we already knew".

5. LD579

Alright, then. I'd tell your either your friends first, or your family first, and then tell whoever's left over that's relevant to your life these days. Once you do at least some of that, you should be able to fully out yourself through facebook. It sounds like you're okay with coming out, sort of... Do you think your friends and family will react positively?

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know.

7. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Luthan has the right idea. Some people, especially family or close to semi-close friends might prefer for you to tell them in a more personal way than through facebook if you're going to come out. Then facebook after that if you want to be out to everyone.

8. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But if you feel more comfortable doing it through FB, you should. Just see what feels best...
    And besides that; your classmates/friends/family already know, right, so what is there to lose?
    Great you came out to so many people already btw. I'm only out to a few online friends and communities which I like a lot, I just cannot get the guts to come out IRL :S
    But yeah, everything takes some time...

9. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes good points. +1. Wish there was a thanks button xD