1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peer Pressure and Confusion

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hannu, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Hannu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey there. So, I'm new to this site, and I'm also relatively new to this dilemma, so I really hope you'll bear with me as I sort of stumble through what I want to say.
    Apologies in advance for the block of text that I'm sure is coming.

All right, so, starting from as close to the beginning as I can.
    I've always been a very masculine girl. I'm 6 feet tall, I'm really into martial arts so I have rather toned muscles, my body naturally produces a bit too much testosterone, I have little chest. Additionally, I dress very androgynously (I swear that's a word), in flannels or button ups and jeans or cargo pants, and my hair is pretty short. Because of this, ever since I entered high school, I've been pegged as a lesbian. Now, this wasn't really a problem for me, because of two things: first of all, I go to a very liberal school and have a group of friends who are super tight knit and all over the spectrum, and secondly, I've always identified as asexual. I have no interest in kissing, and certainly no interest in going further than that. That being said, I'm a very tactile person, so I love /touching people/. You know. Hugging, draping over, sleeping on, ect.
    Then I met this girl, about two years ago. She and I hit it off right away, and we're ridiculously close. We're always all over each other, and we even walk around holding hands, because I'm tactile like that. Everyone, and I mean everyone, thinks we're dating - but we're not. And we've made it clear time and time again that we're not, because, you know, we're not.
    So this is all fine and dandy, because I'm ace, so none of this should affect me, right? But recently, I've been struggling a little bit with my feelings - not towards my close friend, because we really are just friends, but in general. My main concern, because I don't know what else to call it, is thus: Am I actually a lesbian? Or do I think I am just because everyone else around me thinks I am?
    Now, I don't mean a concern as in 'oh my god if I'm not straight I'm going to die and everything will suck', because honestly, I think I'd be okay with the idea of being a lesbian. But I'm not. I'm asexual. Or so I think? But now I'm not so sure.
    Now, for a rundown of my feelings towards guys and gals, because it helps me think straight (haha. pun unintended.) and maybe it will somehow give one of you some insight that I'm missing.
    For guys. If I'm out an about, I can look at guys and be like wow, that guy is really nice looking. I enjoy hanging out with guys a lot, thought more of my friends are female than male. The idea of being kissed by a guy? Nope. Not happening. I would roll around on the floor for five minutes and then kick him in the nuts.
    For girls. There are a lot of girls that really annoy me, because I hate how the girls I know are petty, focused on how they look, and have mood swings. But laid back girls are really great, and if I see an androgynous looking girl, my day is made. They are so nice to look at. The idea of kissing a girl? Nope. Not happening. No. The idea of being kissed by a girl... I'm not sure. I might be okay with that. But I might not.

But all of this is only theory - I would never actually go out and try and date someone, because I think dating is weird and obnoxious and just. No. Now, I've had a couple friends tell me that I shouldn't worry about it, I'll figure it out when I'm ready, ect. But I sort of feel bitter about it, because they already know their sexuality, whatever it may be. I'm going to college in the fall. It's very hard to see everyone around me getting into relationships and having drama and generally being silly, and not know whether I want something like that, or I don't.
    I'm not making myself clear, I don't think. It's very hard for me to explain, because this is the first time I've done so.

I guess, though this may not have been clear...
    tl;dr, I can't tell if I'm a lesbian, or just being swayed because everyone around me is convinced I am.

2. theAlien

I don't think "asexuality" is as common as being straight, gay, or bisexual. It sounds to me that you're just really scared of dating in general and aren't emotionally ready to do so.

3. Hannu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    All right, thank you for your input, I think, haha.