1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't think I've ever felt like this before in my life

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by charlavail, Apr 10, 2013.

1. charlavail

Out Status:
    All but family
    I've always thought I liked guys, but that I didn't feel comfortable around them because it's highschool, and most of them are in the "all I want is to have sex and be an idiot" phase.

There was this one guy, the only guy I might have ever had something with. A part of me thought he was a nice boy, but I know another part just wanted a boyfriend because I was afraid there was something wrong with me, and I would be alone forever.

That didn't last long. I didn't even go on a date when he asked. We went out as a group once, and he was trying to touch my arm and sort of hold my hand, and I couldn't deal. It was the most uncomfortable time of my life. I felt like it was wrong, and I shouldn't be doing that.

I sort of just forgot about boys. I know it's common for a girl to not have a boyfriend. Here is where I get confused.

A while ago, I went to take a visit to Boston. I laid eyes on the most perfect person I had ever seen. She was an androgynous girl. For like a week straight, I had butterflies around her. Up to this day, I am still questioning 'I couldn't have had a crush on her, right? I'm straight!" (She actually attend the school I'm going too, so I'm kind of excited about that)

I've seen some other 'androgynous/butch' girls, and I've found some of the quite attractive. When I think about it, I've always thought that having a relationship with a guy would be uncomfortable, like they wouldn't understand me. I don't get that feeling about girls. I actually feel like relationships with girls would be the best!

Now, I feel like crap about this. I want to shut these feelings down! I come from a christian background, and I am christian myself (I won't say what denomination, but it's a pretty conservative one, where everything goes by the rules) I'm scared that God is going to shun me away if I do anything. I've been reading a lot of what my religion says about these things. Basically, according to them, it is probably a phase. If it doesn't go away, ignore it. It's better to be alone, than to act on these feelings, and basically throw away everything God and Jesus did for us.

So I'm supposed to be alone for the rest of my life? I don't know what to do. I'm actually moving to Boston in August sort of permanently for college. I don't really have anyone to talk to. I can't talk to my family, because that would crush everyone's heart, even though my mom has asked me several times if I was a lesbian, and she would be okay with it, regardless of religion. All of my friends are very narrow minded, always making jokes and criticizing homosexuals, saying it's "disgusting" and "how could anyone ever want someone of their own sex?"

I have a one friend who is bisexual, who I've known for nearly 7 years. I don't feel comfortable talking to her though. I feel like she would end up telling her girlfriend, and a teacher we are sort of friends with at school.

I'm sorry that I'm rambling and I've actually just written a book. I've been stressing about this for such a long time. I am lost, I don't know what to do, or who I am. As I look back, I sort of realise 'Well wait, I've kind of always enjoyed girls..." I know I have time to "figure it out" but everywhere you look, people say "explore your feelings"

Well how the hell am I supposed to do that?! I'm not having premarital sex with a girl (or with anyone), so what in the world do I do?

#1 charlavail, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Femmeme

(*hug*)

I assume that you're getting ready to go away to college right? If that's the case I suggest you plan on finding a LGBT friendly therapist when you get to school AND I suggest you start visiting other denominations of churches too.

You've been raised with a certain set of beliefs, but you're becoming an adult now which means you have to do the hard work of exploring and deciding YOUR OWN beliefs. Just because you've been raised a certain way and it's all you know, doesn't mean it's right. You have a brain, a heart and a soul and FREE WILL, you have to utilize ALL of those to find the correct path in life.

Good luck and be as kind and gentle as possible with yourself. (*hug*)

3. piratealisonnn

The beauty of going to college somewhere other than where you live is that you can be whoever you choose to be. You can question yourself and all that jazz without your parents breathing down your back about it, if you so choose. And I don't mean that in a sneaking around/lying sort of way... just that I live at home and it makes things difficult to explore those feelings with my mom knowing everything I do.

Also, there is no need to be sexual with someone to know if you are attracted to them. Maybe try joining your school's GSA? Get to know someone of the LGBT people there and see how it goes.

Best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

4. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi charlavail,

Your not supposed too be alone!! (*hug*) Remember that the most important part of being a Christian is loving God, loving others and acting accordingly, whenever you really love someone and want to share your everything with then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, no matter who the person.

Try watching this link: The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality - YouTube it's by this guy, Matthew Vines, who really studied the bible. I know it's long, but watch the whole thing because he starts by stating the other side of the argument... Also remember that our believes are based on (more often than not) some local preacher's interpretation of the script. There is nothing wrong with going back to God's Word and questioning an interpretation.

Most importantly: God loves you and would never shun you!!(*hug*) No matter what you end up deciding he'll have known from the start, as he made you the way you are and loves you for it!!

As for your friends, it's really bad what they are doing and it's probably based on their own fears an insecurities. try not to let that influence you! (I know it's hard - good luck(*hug*))

And the best why to explore your feelings is not by going around "having premarital sex with a girl (or with anyone)" it's by thinking about who you would like to wake up next to every morning. Sexuality is not just about the sex. Try thinking about in an ideal world who you would rather build a life with.

Good luck with figuring this out and accepting whatever the conclusion you come to.
    (*hug*)(*hug*)