1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a job...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Ronin, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone!! I'll try to make this short. I know this has somewhat been discussed before but yeah ><
    Okay, so I only wear men's clothing now, and feel incredibly dissociated and dysphoric whenever I have to cross-dress, even if it's more or less androgynous. Here's the thing though: getting a job during this inbetween stage. I'm living with my parents and really need to move out (because of all this) which is impossible without a job of course. But I'm terrified of having to present as female. I just can't do it. I finally accept myself and now I have to go back? And I can't continue living here to wait until I can properly transition because my parents aren't accepting of it, so it would be hell every day anyways (I don't think they even approve of me wearing men's clothing). This feels incredibly like the proverbial "between a rock and a hard place". Any suggestions or advice? Perhaps going away to college is my only option now? Except... I don't have my high school yet because of the depression from all this :dry: (which also makes finding a job harder) I think this isn't an easy question, but I have no idea what to do. HELP!! lol >< :bang:

#1 Ronin, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. earthlvr510

At least in my experience I have been able to find jobs while presenting mostly male. As long as you find somewhere thats fairly open minded, especially if they dont have much of a dress code, it should be alright. Its not easy, but its possible. I havnt looked through what has been posted before but here a few links to help with the job search that might help.

http://www.tjobbank.com/

Employers with Transgender Friendly Policies - MTROLwiki

Center for Gender Sanity

Once you have found employment, or while your searching, it would probably be a good idea to try and get your GED. This should help with your job search and make the option of college much easier if you choose that road. If i were you I would stick it out as long as possible at home while taking the job GED route so you can save money. I guess another thing to think about is whether your parents would pay for you to go away to college. If they are then that might be a good option to take. I bet you've already tried this but look online and ask around about cheap places to live. People might be looking for roomates in your area somewhere you could afford. Also, though I hope it doesnt come to this with your family situation, there are places specifically for LGBT youth that will give you a free, supporting place to live while you find a job. I hope this helps, your definetly in a tough situation. As hard as it is, try to think about the positives and take it one day at a time. good luck!