1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had to take it back.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Revomantic, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Revomantic

Revomantic Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    About a month ago I told one of my best friends, a straight guy I've known forever, that I was gay. We went through the whole, "But you dated a girl" and "You don't act gay" questions and answers. He seemed to be okay with it.

Earlier this week we were hanging out and he told me he didn't believe it. It was "obvious" that I had been hurt by bad girls in the past and was trying to find some solace, something that made sense for me and made me feel better. He also told me he "couldn't picture me dating a guy." Me, with a boyfriend? That would just be too weird.

It took me MONTHS to work up the courage to tell this guy, and this is how he responds? For what it's worth, we live in the south and he's both a Catholic and a Republican. I guess I should be thankful he didn't call in the lynch mob.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often, people will say the right thing...and think/feel something else...sort of like being in the closet...

3. June Cleaver

^ I agree. June

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember that it likely took you quite a while to accept who you are... and you went through the 5 stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) in coming to terms with that. He has to go through the same process, and sometimes it can take minutes and sometimes weeks or months.

He'll eventually come to terms with it. And I think when you find a nice guy, and introduce him to your friend, and he can see that the two of you aren't suddenly wearing pumps and a party dress... he'll realize it's no big deal. :slight_smile:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that there's anything wrong with that! :grin: