1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone relate?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by niceguy19208, Apr 23, 2013.

1. niceguy19208

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys & gals,

A couple months ago I had a serious sexual orientation crisis involving extreme anxiety that I was possibly gay. I was very confused because I had never been attracted to guys, and I had only had crushes on girls ever since I could remember. I had even been in a relationship where I fell deeply in love and enjoyed sex thoroughly with a girl, and was extremely heartbroken when it was over.

So anyways, I wasn't really sure where this anxiety was coming from. But I started to find myself looking at guys to see if I was attracted to them, and then looking at girls to compare. I was so distraught I brought it up to my counsellor, who reasonably said that there was no reason to be anxious as many people question their sexuality at some point, and that it didn't sound like I was even bisexual let alone gay.

However, since that point, I think I've come to find out that I actually am more turned on by guys. I currently have a girlfriend who I love, but I'm not totally sexually attracted to her. Sometimes during sex I think of one guy in particular and get more turned on. But to make things more confusing I really only want relationships with girls! Kissing, cuddling, just generally being romantically close to someone is an attraction I definitely do not have for guys. So I really don't understand what's going on :frowning2:

Can anyone relate/offer advice?

2. LD579

There is romantic / emotional attraction, and then there is sexual / physical attraction. These two components need not overlap for you, and for many others, as well. There are people everywhere, and on this forum, who can relate to your somewhat-conflicting attractions to people.

You sound like you are turned on by both guys and girls, but are only attracted romantically to girls, and not to guys. As a 'label', you would be called a heteroromantic bisexual (Romantic attraction to girls, and sexual attraction to guys and girls, basically, in your case).

For reference, most people, it seems, are heteroromantic heterosexuals. As another example, I'm a homoromantic homosexual. For convenience's sake, I just say that I'm gay.

It doesn't need to mean anything if you find guys more sexually attractive than girls. It may be a problem, though, if you fantasize about guys when you are actually having sex with a girl in a relationship (Like, for example, your girlfriend). Unfortunately, I don't know how to help you get over this specifically.

EDIT: Looking at some of your older posts, you mention that you were repulsed by the idea of having sex with a guy, or something to that effect. In that light, perhaps your romantic and sexual attractions to guys will settle down more as time passes. I find it unlikely, though, that you will develop a lack of attraction to girls both romantically and sexually, if it's been a constant ever since you've been growing up.

#2 LD579, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. niceguy19208

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for your response!

I guess my main concern lies in the thinking that I get turned on more by guys, but not being romantically attracted to them or wanting them. I feel like I might never have a relationship that is fulfilling in every way.

I did mention that in an earlier post, so to clarify: The idea of me actually having sex with another guy makes me anxious and nauseous, which kind of confuses me a little bit more. Like if the most attractive guy in the world showed up at my door right now asking for sex, I'd definitely say no. I've even had a dream in which a guy friend of mine asked me if I wanted to have sex with him, and I was strongly opposed to it and I remember having a "get away from me" kind of feeling.

I just wish I could stop thinking about it, because when I'm not thinking about it and I'm with my girlfriend, I'm completely at ease/normal.

Thanks again!

4. Cougar

Cougar Guest

You are a typical heterosexual who experiences with his own body what homosexual attraction is. You are terrified because you enjoyed your comfortable heterosexual identity. You can't admit more than physical attraction for the moment, but that means nothing. The attraction is so strong that you call it a "serious sexual orientation crisis" and post on a gay website! :icon_wink

Don't be afraid that men attract you, that is totally normal. If you don't suppress that attraction you know more about sexuality than 90 percent of the population! :icon_wink

Fine, where is the problem? Why do you write that? Do you want to say that you want relationships only with girls ...

... but SEX with men? I think so.

Imagine a gourmet who learns that there is new country on the culinary map. He likes the food of many countries, but now he is curious. Then he takes the opportunity to taste some dishes in the embassy of this country, and he really loves them! He doesn't want to do without all the other dishes he already likes, but he can't imagine not to eat these thrilling dishes again. And there is so much more he couldn't even try!

If you need a label, choose BISEXUAL. If your fascination with men fades away, call yourself straight.

Even if you are bisexual there is no obligation to have sex with men. You can fully concentrate on your girlfriend. But if you are bisexual you don't consider it as an obligation to have sex with men. :icon_wink

That is the defence of your homophobic 'immune system'! And it is high time, because:

VoilĂ !

Of course he doesn't encourage you to try new flavors, but I do. Go for it!

5. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I think you're kind of over thinking this. After reading this and your first post I think what your experiencing is just some curiosity. If you definitely are repulsed by the idea of sex with another male, then maybe your attraction to them is more an admiration of them or attracted to features of theirs that you like or would like?

In my experience which is a bit similar to yours but with a different outcome, I too at first was kind turned off by the idea of sex with another male but still attracted to them and thought it was attraction/admiration of their features or aspiring to be like them. Which in your case might be true and that you might be over thinking this all.

Does that sound like what it might be?

6. niceguy19208

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Cougar,

That was a very convincing breakdown of my scenario, I pretty much identified with the whole post. One of the most upsetting things is that since I started questioning, I've felt like I had to start convincing myself how attracted to women (my girlfriend) I was, which has turned sex from something pleasurable and fun into a burden. I'm scared that if I try anything with a guy and enjoy it, it might change me and make me unable to be comfortable with or sexually attracted to a girl ever again.

RedMage,

My scenario is very strange. I doubt it's an attraction/admiration of their features because sometimes my mind wanders during sex to the thought of a guy and I get more turned on. However, if I'm not having sex, or even while having sex if I actually picture it happening it becomes a turn off. But maybe just because it's a trigger for anxiety, I'm not sure.

7. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So if I got this correctly, thinking about having sex with a guy is fine but it is when you start visualizing it that it makes you anxious/uneasy? Also what you mentioned to Cougar, do you feel like you are trying to deny this potential interest in men? I think though since you have said you enjoyed sex with a girl and have fallen deeply in love with a girl that even if you do try something with a guy that you'll still like girls so to speak. It's not like you were faking those feelings or in denial at the time.

So far it sort of sounds like you are a heteroromantic bisexual like Luthan said, but it also sounds like you are possibly bisexual and just uncomfortable with the idea of sex with men.

8. niceguy19208

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You got it. In regards to denying potential interest, I feel like I am. I feel like I'm having to force attraction to girls and deny it towards guys. As for why, I think that part of it is that I have a girlfriend now that I love, and admitting attraction towards guys would feel like losing her in a certain respect.. and romantically I still want her very much.

Now that I think about it I have really only enjoyed sex when there has been a deep emotional connection, I get much more turned on by that. I rarely think about just fucking the shit out of a girl for pure pleasure. Being that I have always associated sex with deep emotion, it's hard for me to imagine actually fooling around with anyone else but who I'm currently in love with, letting alone a new gender.

9. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well that's the thing, just because you discovering an attraction to another gender, doesn't mean you'll lose it with the one you are currently attracted to. Also you shouldn't be afraid that you'll be losing your girlfriend, you obviously are in love with her both sexually and romantically.

I also understand where you're coming from with the deep emotional connection and sex connection. Just remember that even though your sexuality might change doesn't mean you have to experiment or anything, if you are content with your current relationship that's awesome no need to wreck that.

10. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I think these threads clearly demonstrate that we as a country and society provide very little, often inaccurate information on sexual orientation. We see things so black and white. "You're gay or you're straight." Then there's this whole thing that "sexual orientation is permanent from birth to death," without any possible shifts over time. Really, we would see less confusion and questioning if everyone in society was given the proper information and education about the complexities of sexual orientation. It is not so simple. It is perfectly normal to experience both hetero and homo feelings in varying degrees or to experiment and try things out. We make such huge deals over this stuff. Really, sexual preferences are no different than your taste for certain foods or music. Go with what makes you happy, as long as no one else is getting hurt.

11. niceguy19208

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks guys. These responses have really helped a bunch. cm81990 I really like your outlook, it makes me feel less pressured and anxious. I truly believe you are right as well, i just feel as though most people are scared of any feelings of attraction that aren't considered 'normal' or 'common', when really any and all feelings are normal.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: