1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I a lesbian?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Shadowfang, May 3, 2013.

1. Shadowfang

Shadowfang Guest

So i've been thinking for awhile now, a few months at the least and I think i'm a lesbian. When I think about wanting to be together with someone or something along those lines I think about being with a girl. I haven't really thought about guys in the same way and the thought of being with one is kind of awkward and weird. Does that mean i'm a lesbian. I've grown up in a household where we're pretty open minded but my parents wouldn't want a gay daughter because we're all Christians and of course i'm pretty sure most people know what the bible says about homosexuality and i'm afraid of what that means. I'm not sure what to do or think and I don't really know who to talk to.

2. Cougar

Cougar Guest

Even if you are still young you definitely think that you are lesbian, and YOU are the expert for YOUR wishes.

“A key issue among evangelical Christians is how much of this biblical material might be binding today, as the Levitical priesthood and animal sacrifices ended with the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 CE. Some of these groups see all these laws regarding sexuality as being applicable today; some of them are reiterated elsewhere in the Bible, notably in Paul’s Epistle to the Romans.”

Abrahamicalia: 13A. Homosexuality Part I

If you are a Christian in an open-minded religious family you should study all kind of alternative interpretations of the bible and alternative Christian approaches to homosexuality.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibl.htm

You are probably a believer, so it doesn't help you if I say that religions exist but unfortunately not the corresponding gods. Ask the Jews! Thus books aren't holy, they are just human stories with gods as protagonists.

Because you are from North Carolina you could profit from reading this short book from Bernadette Barton, Pray the Gay Away: The Extraordinary Lives of Bible Belt Gays, New York University Press 2012. I think you are old enough to understand it.

You should think that homosexuality is as natural as heterosexuality and that many animals lead a bisexual or homosexual life:

“Additionally, the incidence of bisexuality within populations is often high: in a number of animals such as Bonobos, Japanese Macaques, Bottlenose Dolphins, Mountain Sheep, Giraffe, and Kob, for instance, VIRTUALLY ALL members of the species (or of one sex) participate in both same-sex and opposite-sex interactions (either concurrently or at different points of their life.”

Bruce Bagemihl, Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity, New York 1999, 174

You should talk to women who understand your situation because they know it from their own experience. And of course it is a good idea to post in the Coming Out forum here to get more information. Don't be afraid, if your family is open-minded you are in a much better situation than many others.

"The GLBT National Youth Talkline is staffed by volunteers between the ages of 18 and 25":

GLBT National Help Center

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Transgender Near Me

“PFLAG has more than 350 chapters that are located in all 50 states. Get the personalized support that you need from people who understand what you're experiencing. By using the search function below, you can find a list with contact information for the chapters in that state.”

PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

#2 Cougar, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  3. Shadowfang

Shadowfang Guest

Thanks for the information, i'll be sure to check it out. :slight_smile: