1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is my orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by yellowsun, May 21, 2013.

1. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am a 21 year old female and ever since I can remember, I have had romantic and sexual feelings for women even before I knew I felt that way. I assumed that I must be a lesbian. However, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be in a relationship with a woman. It does not interest me at all. When I think of my future, I see what I want in life and where I'll be, but being with a woman is not in the picture. I have held onto the lesbian identity for the past 4 1/2 years. However with me not wanting to date a woman or ever marry one, I have doubts that I'm actually a lesbian. Maybe I have just been confused.

Does it sound like I am really a lesbian or just confused?

2. wanderinggirl

why don't you see yourself being with a woman?

3. KingdomKeyDK

Maybe you're just confused right now. You might actually be bisexual. I thought myself just gay, but when I started getting feelings for this girl I know, I knew that I was bi. Maybe you haven't figured yourself out yet.

4. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The thought of being with a woman does not make me happy or excited.

5. wanderinggirl

I don't know the rest of your story, i.e. if you've been with guys, if you see yourself with a guy, if youve ever been in a serious relationship. True romantic feelings are hard to come by, so it could just be that you've never met the right person... or that you are simply aromantic.

I think the best thing to do in this situation is not to overanalyze it, and just try to tune into your internal feelings and see what your heart tells you. I don't think you need to have it all figured out; your instincts will kick in eventually and guide you in the right direction.

6. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I doubt I will ever want to be in a relationship with any woman. I'm already 21. I have never been with any men either.

---------- Post added 22nd May 2013 at 12:55 PM ----------

I just looked up HOCP and I have quite a few of the symptoms of it, so I am thinking that is what I have rather than actually being a lesbian. That makes much more sense to me.

7. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Sorry, that should say HOCD, not HOCP.

8. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am definitely a lesbian. I know that for a fact and have known for a while. It was something that I was trying to fight so hard because I could not accept it. No matter how hard I tried to become heterosexual, it just did not happen. I fully realize that I was indeed born a lesbian and there is nothing I can do to change it. For a long time, I believed that I did not care what homophobic people think about me being a lesbian and thought it was me that had a problem with it. What I didn't realize is that subconsciously it was never me personally that had a problem with being a lesbian. It was always the way society made me feel about it. Society made me feel horrible about myself. I started to wonder maybe I wasn't born a lesbian or that perhaps I am going to Hell. It took me a while to realize that is the reason being a lesbian bothers me. However, I realize that the homophobic members in our society are completely wrong. I am a nice and caring person. I am no different than heterosexuals except that I like women instead of men. Now I am proud to be who God created me to be! I am no longer going to fight my attraction to women. Instead I will work on not letting homophobic people upset me. I am getting there slowly, but surely. I'm sure one day I will not let their ignorance and rudeness get to me. Sure, I'll always feel sorry for those in the LGBT community who are criticized, shunned, disowned by family, etc. I just will not feel personally upset by homophobes anymore for my sexuality.

9. RainbowMan

Sounds like you've made a lot of progress in just a few days, congrats!

I figured that I'd share my story just in case any of it resonates with you. I've never been attracted to women, never been in a relationship with one. I'd always notice the cute guys, but could never see myself in a relationship with them, either. Then I met that aha moment of self-acceptance, that I am gay, and all of a sudden being with a guy seems a little foreign, but not out of the question.

I fear that because of my age (fortunately you're much younger than me!), the gay community will see me as an outcast, a dork (I work in technology), a freak. I've been assured that this is not the case (here, my coming out group, my therapist) - but somehow that doesn't relieve the anxiety.

Can't wait to see where the next chapter of my life leads.....

10. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aromantic homosexual, maybe?