1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing romantic dreams

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by wanderinggirl, May 21, 2013.

1. wanderinggirl

A few months ago I came out to myself, and I'm still not sure as what. I've only dated guys in the past; some experiences with girls since then but not too many. I'm interested in dating girls now, and I notice girls more than I notice guys usually. Buuuttt...

Lately I've had dreams that have been really confusing. Two notables:
    1) An FtoM trans* guy who I had been really into (in the dream; not based on a real life trans* person) had just gotten a sex change, and I was disappointed at his change of genitalia, but I couldn't tell him I'd preferred him before, because he was so psyched about it, and I still liked him, so we slept together and I felt guilty.
    2) And another where I slept with my cis-gendered male friend and it felt good but it was weird and was almost out of obligation or something. It was really awkward and uncomfortable, though I was somewhat into it if I closed my eyes.

Anyways in all these dreams I have sex with men but my feelings about it are conflicted, and I don't have explicit dreams with girls, but in my dreams theres always a longing.

Oh yea and when I id-ed as straight, I don't think I ever had explicit sex dreams.

Does anyone have these kinds of weird dreams? I know dreams don't always mean much but maybe there is something there?

2. FemCasanova

Dreams can mean a lot and nothing at the same time. Some people dream about having sexual relations with family members, and get very worried that means there`s something wrong with them, which there isn`t. Sexual dreams are rarely actually about the sex, and more often about conflict of emotion. Your recent sexual dreams could simply be caused by your thoughts centering around sexuality and pulling away from "the man sphere". Since you`ve pretty recently come out to yourself, there could be a sort of subconscious grief process going on, but it`s hard to say. Researchers can`t even agree whether dreams mean anything at all, or are just scrambled electrical signals randomly going off in our heads. So I wouldn`t interpret these to mean anything specific, if I were you. A few nights ago, I dreamed I was a serial killer. I don`t think that means I`m a psychopath, just had watched too many episodes in a row of Hannibal, that new show about Hannibal Lecter.

Anyways, if you had been in a relationship with a woman, and then had dreamed a lot about having sex with men, then I would have said that you might be missing some masculinity in your life, and that you might want to search your feelings about wanting to have sex with men, but odds are you wouldn`t, and that they didn`t really mean anything in that regard. These dreams you`ve had now doesn`t strike me as clearly saying you want to have sex with men, so unless in real life you are actually attracted to men, or some specific guy, I wouldn`t think too much about it.

Personally, I`m more on the dreams symbolize things side, while my GF is more on the random electric impulses. We disagree on it, lol. I like to think of it as subconscious shadow-play. Whatever is going on in there, we get a scrambled, randomly put together piece by piece show at night. Meaning, if I am worried about money and a job, I might dream about drowning, the drowning showing my emotional state when I`m awake. Whenever I dream about snakes being everywhere, it`s always a given sign I am too stressed before going to bed, and that I need to chill down some, get some relaxment :slight_smile:

3. Reptillian

Dreams are just dreams IMHO, sometimes the mind works in ways you don't expect it to. What matters when it comes to sexuality is how you perceive sexual attraction and how it applies IRL.

4. wanderinggirl

I LOLed at that. I think I should stay away from that show...

You're right in that it's probably just my emotional state. Unfortunately in this case that means that my emotional state is "conflicted", which doesn't clarify anything for me, but I guess that's not what dreams are for.