1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Councelling/therapy

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Cynder, May 23, 2013.

1. Cynder

I have heard other transguys talk about how therapy or councelling was really helpful to them in confirming their identity and feeling normal and such, and is overall very helpfull in general. Not to mention you need a referral to go on HRT. I as wondering about any experiences any of you had with that?

2. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've been in therapy since December and only brought up my gender issues in January. I transferred to a gender therapist in late January and have been seeing her since that point. Honestly, it's given me a lot of confidence and it also gives me an opportunity to rant and ask questions with a professional who can understand what I'm saying, rather than my previous evangelist therapist who told me to perhaps take Christianity into my own hands (lol).

You do need a referral to go on T, but I'm unsure if the process differs between in countries. Here, I had to go for a minimum of 3-4 month period of weekly visits with my therapist to confirm that I'm "really transgender" and be approved for testosterone. The therapist directed me to an experienced endocrinologist and has wrote my T-letter, so I'm approved and will be starting next month.

It's a very long and sometimes tedious process and it takes a lot of patience. Patience is always key when it comes to these things, unfortunately. But it's very much worth it in the end. I'm satisfied with how everything has gone for me over the past 5 months :slight_smile:.