1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More comfortable labeling self as gay, but still uncertain and don't want to come out

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Parsley, May 26, 2013.

1. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been self identifying as gay since early February, and took the label for a mental test drive so to speak as early as January. And the thing is, thinking of myself as gay has made me feel more comfortable with myself, and more relaxed in general. Okay more relaxed after the initial panic wore off.

But I'm still unsure if I really would follow through on getting into a relationship with a girl. I'm afraid to test it out. I know as of now I've never actually gotten into a relationship with a guy. I'm afraid that it will be the same with girls. So what if I come out and share my orientation (that I think is probably right) with everyone and then proceed to date just as much as I did before....which is not at all. Would that mean I was wrong thinking I'm probably gay? I just can't help, but feel like a fraud for calling myself gay.

2. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: More comfortable labeling self as gay, but still uncertain and don't want to come

Hello Parsley,

It sounds to me like you're gay. When you took it for a mental test drive (a phrase I love and something I did myself), it felt genuine to you. That's how I feel.

As far as getting into a relationship or outing ourself and then not dating, I don't think it's a big deal. I'm in the process of coming out (two people so far!), and I'm married. When I get divorced, which is inevitable, I don't plan on dating right away. I don't have someone waiting for me (which isn't to say I'd turn an opportunity down....).

I think what I'm trying to say is that your sexual orientation has nothing to do with whether or not you're in a relationship with either gender. It doesn't make you a fraud. People know they're hetero and don't hesitate to admire or talk about the opposite sex, and I imagine none of them feel like frauds.

Does any of this make any sense? Answer your question? Help at all?

And I'm a little unsure if you want to come out at all yet. Your subject heading suggests that you don't, but your post suggests that you do. Perhaps you're still working on that....

--Zoe

3. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: More comfortable labeling self as gay, but still uncertain and don't want to come

Thanks for the reply, Zoe. It did help, and answered some questions. I'm not sure if I want to come out yet or ever. Part of me wants to come out to everyone right now, and part of me just wants to keep it to myself. I've already come out to my two roommates who have been fantastically supportive. They're great. Only being out in my own home seems controllable and safe. If I ever wanted to take it back they'd be cool with that too.

I guess my biggest problem currently is the conflict with how I feel about the label gay in my head, and how I feel about it out in the world attached to me. You're right that when I took it for a test drive it felt like it fit. So I'm okay just calling myself gay to myself. But when it comes to possibly telling others then I'm not sure. And then I have doubts. And that's when I feel like I'd be a fraud if I came out. :eusa_doh:

4. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hello Parsley,

It sounds like you're struggling with many of the same issues so many of us go through. I know I spent years wondering if I was really gay. Did my feelings mean anything? What if I came out and then regretted it because I wanted to be with men again? What would it mean for my job if I came out (I"m a high school teacher in a very conservative part of the country)?

So I spent years either going round and round in my head or simply repressing all those thoughts and feelings.

Finally, it got to a point where it was simply obvious to me that I was gay--that's all there was to it. And continuing to hide it just felt pointless and a little silly.

That doesn't mean my coming out won't be filled with challenges--like telling my husband--but at least it's crystal clear to me now and I can see all the ways I avoided or denied it in the past.

What I mean to say it that maybe you're just not there yet, and that's perfectly fine. There are still some things you have to work out for yourself--such as whether or not to tell people beyond your roommates. There's nothing wrong with that or with you.

And if you come out as lesbian and decide you still like men? No biggie--you're bi. No one's identity is written in stone, and there's nothing that says you can't continue to grow and learn about yourself. In fact, it's perfectly healthy to do so. Learning and growing is what brought you to this point.

My advice is just to try to be as honest as you can with yourself about what you want right now.

I know that I'm bursting at the seams to tell people and to start moving forward with my life. I've that point. You haven't--that may mean it's just not time for you yet. No big deal.

--Zoe