1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutrality: What does it mean to you?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by echiuria, May 31, 2013.

1. echiuria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never felt as if I fit in with the boys, and while girls more readily accepted me and befriended, I still didn't feel like I was among "my people," per se.

I didn't fit into the male or female parameters, nor did I feel I belonged anywhere in between. It took me a while to stumble upon neutrality, and when I did, neutrality just felt right. (Excuse my being cheesy.)

I'm not a huge stickler on pronouns, because I don't really care. I don't know what I would want a potential boyfriend to call me, and I still feel weird being called a "son" or "nephew."

What does gender neutrality mean to you? How did you stumble upon your neutrality? What pronouns/titles do you prefer?

2. wonderstruck

I'm not quite sure about my gender myself, but I usually feel agendered, or possibly MTF. Part of what made me realize this was the way I felt so out of place when grouped with cis boys, in the context of "Boys vs Girls" games in PE class and bathrooms. I first heard about non-binary identities on asexuality.org, and I found that such labels were more fitting than "male."

I don't particularly mind being called "he," but I do get annoyed by being called "son" in some cases. It bothers me that if I discover that I'm actually MTF, than while coming out to my parents, they'd tell me not to worry about "whatever it is i have to tell them," because "I'll always be their SON." I really wish the English language used gender-neutral pronouns; pronouns can be a pain. I also don't really mind being called by my birth-name (Jack), because it's vaguely gender-neutral. But at times, I feel as if "Kath" or "Katherine" would fit me better.

I do feel quite misgendered when people tell me to act more "masculine," in phrases like "man up" or "You can't wea that; You're a boy!" I also felt extremely uncomfortable when my former boyfriend told me that he wanted me to be the "man" of the relationship (whatever that means, ha). Now that I typed that out, I seem a lot more MTF than gender-neutral, but I hope my input helped!