1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you ever 100% sure of your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Different, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Different

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of coming out to myself. I'm reading all over that the first step in coming out is coming out to yourself. Are you ever 100% sure of your sexuality? Let me know if yu have or have ever had this experience.

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not, but I have a scientific view of everything so I don't tend to look for 100% certainty. If I'm 95% certain I'm fine with that.

3. MusicMaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with Ettina. It's like using a mathematical formula to determine the outcome of an experiment, you want to be close enough to the final results so that it makes sense, but it's still an educated guess. But no, I've never been 100% sure.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most that you can say with respect to a judgment about yourself, in favour of being homosexual, is that your behaviour/feelings/temperament is/are consistent with a person who already identifies herself as homosexual.

Meaning: you will note that the criterion for comparison is based on the generally recognized, average behaviour/feelings/temperament of those who already self-identify as homosexual...but they aren't 100% certain either!

Hence, there is a degree of uncertainty that just has to be lived with, but there is such a thing as reasonable certainty, and it is generally considered "good enough" to live with.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I know that I like boys but I've dated three girls so I'm not sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It doesn't really bother me anymore. If I find someone attractive then I find them attractive and I don't think I should feel upset about it.

6. Techno Kid

^ This!
    Also remember that you don't have to ever be sure, it's not something that has to be decided on any timeline. (&&&)

and I am not 100% certain of my orientation, I do feel comfortable identifing this way though. :slight_smile:

#6 Techno Kid, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. biggayguy

I wonder if there are many people that are 100 percent hetero on the Kinsey scale or 100 percent gay on the other end. Most people do stay close to one end of the scale. If you know that your somewhere in the middle and it hasn't changed for a long time then you're probably bisexual or pansexual.

8. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know for a fact I'm 100% gay, I've never felt attraction towards women, and I always have for men. No doubt about it, I promise.

9. June Cleaver

For my experience in life, I am 100% and always have been sure I am really a straight girl. I quite often forget I look male and I have never found a woman's body sexually attractive in any way nor have I dated or had any desire to try women. Nor have I ever felt like a guy. June

10. 2112

This for me too. Any doubt is just wishful thinking for me, I've never felt anything for girls.

11. biggayguy

I wasn't calling anyone's name just relating my experience among the people I know personally. YMMV

12. Trailblazer

I'm pretty 100% in knowing what I like, so yea.

13. Lilly storm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This thread has been really helpful for me. I go through times when I feel totally sure, then not so sure.

14. Amerigo

It's the bane of my existence. I have absolutely no idea what the hell I am!

15. eminindo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the longest time I was sure that I'm a lesbian, I only had crushes on girls, even dated a few. But since last year I've slowly started becoming more and more attracted to guys too. I must be some late bisexual bloomer haha

16. destiny99

destiny99 Guest

I've never been 100% sure. I've been questioning ever since 5th grade. I went through a period were I convinced myself I was straight, but that was short-lived. Now, I'm back to questioning. I mean, I know I like guys, I think I like girls, and it's just one big confusing vortex. I'm hoping it gets more clear in the future, but if it doesn't, I'll call myself bi and be done with it. So, yeah. Some people are 100% sure, some aren't.

17. Different

This is awesome! Thank you all for your input. Keep the advice coming :eusa_clap

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I'm not 100% certain. I feel confident in saying I am "not straight." I have had regular same sex attraction since about 12...so it's been consistent most of my life. Currently, I don't really feel attracted to women, and I'm not sure I ever have, except in some denial phase. But...one never knows.

To a degree, it really doesn't matter. If I were in position to have a relationship, I'd try to find someone I was attracted to. The sexual orientation label doesn't matter; the quality of the relationship does.

19. When I first came to EC I also wasn't sure about my sexuality. For quite awhile I was convinced that I was a gay man. Then I met a young lady that I fell in love with. There was never a moment where I did not think of her, and I wanted nothing else but her company sexually and emotionally. The crazy thing is, I had never felt that strongly about a woman before. It's too bad she was so religious, because it wasn't going to work out as she was anti-Equality. It wasn't too long after her that I finally realized I don't need to compromise who I am and what I believe to find acceptance and love. I've had thoughts of wanting to be a woman ever since I can remember, because somewhere inside I felt I was a woman. These thoughts didn't just happen when I was around a guy I liked, and they're still with me and I'll turn 27 in a few weeks. If anyone knows uncertainty it was me. Yet I've only been able to make a guess based off of my knowledge, experience, and maturity level. Don't be in a rush to figure it out, it will clarify itself...(*hug*)

20. KnownSecret

This is where I am as well! I have never been attracted to girls, maybe just talking to them but I have never wanted to go further then that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: