1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biromantic or internalizing heteronormality?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SeaMist, Jun 15, 2013.

1. SeaMist

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been identifying as lesbian for a few months now, and have started to come out as such. I've only ever experienced physical attraction to girls, and I've never been much able to tell about the 'hotness' of guys. I've had crushes on girls, including my straight friend, and for a while, I felt comfortable in my belief that I was a homoromantic homosexual. However, now I'm not so sure.
    The odd thing is, is nothing happened. It's just that I seem to be romanticising relationships with guys, and I'm not sure if it's an actual romantic attraction towards them, or just the heteronormality of my world infiltrating my mind.
    Thoughts would be much appreciated. :slight_smile: thanks!

2. Hunnygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could be going through a phase it may change when your older :slight_smile:

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Because of all the baggage relationships, love, and sexuality carry in our society, romantic orientation is nearly impossible to determine by just thinking about whether you could see yourself in a relationship with someone of a certain sex. So it's better to just go off of experience. The reason I identify as biromantic isn't because I could see myself being in a relationship with a man or a woman, but because I've actually fallen in love with both men and women. Trying to figure out what your romantic orientation is in the abstract is like trying to figure out your sexual orientation if you'd never seen another human being and were just reading written descriptions of the male and female anatomy.

You could certainly be biromantic, but it's also just as likely (if not moreso) that you're internalizing heternormativity. I'd say you ought to wait to call yourself biromantic until you actually find yourself romantically attracted to a guy. :slight_smile:

4. eatsleepclimb

Really good friendships could be confused with biromanticism (is that a word?), I guess? You know, you could love someone, but like a brother/sister more than romantically maybe? I'm not an expert on this :slight_smile: