1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Help

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Tetraquark, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I keep coming back to the same name, and I'm seriously considering going by it in some spaces. (I don't think I would ever change my name officially.) But there's one slight problem...

Should I spell it Aran? Or Aeron? Erin? Aryn? Arin? Eren? Some other way?

In my dialect of English, they're all pronounced basically the same, but each has advantages and disadvantages. The current front-runner, Aran, is more masculine than I would like; Aeron even more so. Erin has the opposite problem, as does Aryn, though it has the additional problem of looking made-up. Arin is an attempted compromise, but it also doesn't look like a real name. Eren...I got from an anime. >.>

I wish I didn't have to pick a spelling. Spoken it works perfectly because it can be masculine, feminine, or neither, but when written you have to commit to one. Which means that no matter what I pick, there will be at least some days I will feel as uncomfortable with it as I do with my birth name. I do think I would prefer one with a feminine lean because most days I'm on the female side of androgyne.

Which spellings sound/look the best to you? Do you know of any other spellings that are more-or-less gender neutral?

2. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think "Eren" looks good to me. But I might be biased because I think I know the anime you got it from. The Titan/giant anime?

3. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Yes.

4. Gallatin

I like Erin or Eren. I feel like the latter is a little less feminine, but then again, I have known a guy named Erin, so yeah.

5. earthlvr510

I know someone that spells it Aaron as well, just an idea.

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Huh, I've never seen Erin used as a guy's name before.

Eren is really starting to grow on me. It even looks like it's a real name. The meaning has some issues, though. According to Beyond the Name, it means saint or holy person in Turkish. As a white American atheist, I could see using that name as being problematic. :/

7. wanderinggirl

I don't like Aryn because it looks too much like "Aryan" or "Ayn [Rand]", but that's just me. Eren looks cool. Eryn too.

8. Cynder

Maybe try Arren or Aaron?

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Arren looks good, but Aaron is too masculine.