1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure sure anymore....

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by justjade, Jun 24, 2013.

1. justjade

I used to think that I was just an androgyne. Then I thought that maybe I was genderfluid since I have some moments of intense femininity. Now I'm thinking that I'm probably transgender.

I think I might have mentioned something like this before, but it's really crazy now. I have this urge now and then to just donate all my dresses, skirts, and high heels to Goodwill. But it's hard to part with them. I have so many great memories attached to some of them.

Then again, it could just be my BPD talking. I feel like I'm doomed to go through phases for the rest of my life and never know who I am or what I want. It's really scary because I'm worried that if I do change my expression, be it through changing my wardrobe or changing my body, that somewhere down the line, I'll regret it and become suicidal again like I always do when I realize I've made a really bad decision.

But some of my earliest memories are of being fascinated with boys. At first, I thought it was just that I had crushes on them, but when I was about 6 or 7, I realized that that wasn't what it was. I remember watching Disney's Pocahontas and having this epiphany that I didn't have a crush on John Smith; I wanted to be him!

In some ways, I still kind of do. I want to be adventurous and outdoorsy and rugged and shoot guns and be able to take off my shirt whenever I damn well please so everyone can admire the 6-pack that I don't have yet and be part of a brotherhood and just be one of the guys!

I remember in high school, guys would get made fun of for wearing a pink shirt. But whenever I wore something pink, people would tell me I looked cute and that it was a good color for me and stuff. I couldn't understand why no one thought it was weird or funny when I wore a pink shirt to school.

Then one time in college, I was talking to someone, and without even thinking, I referred to my male friends as "the other guys". At first, I was kind of shocked that I even said it, but the more I thought about it, the more it started to make sense. So I started wearing boxers, but then I got into a serious relationship and stopped.

Fastforward through dropping out of college, marrying my ex-husband, getting divorced, and marrying my current husband.

He's actually the one who suggested I start wearing boxer briefs. I wear boxers, too. I strut around in cargo shorts and t-shirts. When I (am trying to) present male, I feel a sense of freedom. I don't feel obligated to hold awkward conversations with random strangers in the check-out line in the grocery store or break down with people when they get upset. I feel more free, I guess. I am OK with being a dick occasionally or not knowing exactly how people feel. I don't feel the need to fake empathy when someone comes crying to me. When people want to gossip with me, I can just be like, "Dude, I don't care" instead of pretending I agree with them or even care what they're talking about. I can be tough. I can be that outspoken person that I want to be. I can even dance in the aisles at Walmart without worrying about looking awkward! It makes me feel so good, in fact, that I'm considering :eek: top surgery!

Still not sure, though. Again, I go through a lot of phases, so I'm not sure if this is something I want to do or not. I'm married to a straight man in a state that is violently opposed to same-sex marriage. I've heard of some legal loopholes, but you can't always count on those. I'm not even sure they're legit anyway. I'm worried that, if I got top surgery, he wouldn't be attracted to me anymore and would leave me. Who knows? If I did, he may not. He might fall in love with me all over again because I'd (hopefully) be more who I am than I've ever been. Or maybe he'll get upset because people will probably start labeling him as gay.

But what worries me the most is that I might just be trying to find something to hide behind. I dunno. I'm kind of conflicted, but I'm pretty sure that, no matter what, I don't plan on ever getting bottom surgery. Might get an STP packer, but that's it. That's as far as I'd go.

So....thoughts? Comments? Insight?

2. TheMightyBoosh

It's very confusing to figure thing's out, you have to take time in experimenting with things/clothes/styles/looks it might help you find yourself and take time doing research. :thumbsup: But you know deep down what you want. And John Smith!! :icon_bigg IS AWESOME! I was like that too, when watching Disney movies i didn't see myself being Wendy, Belle or Princess Jasmine, I saw myself in Peter Pan, Aladdin and "the beast" :rolle: If your husband loves you he'll love you still, you'll still be the same person on the inside. I don't know what else to say. I wish you the best of luck figuring out.

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&) :slight_smile:

3. justjade

Thank you! :grin: (*hug*)

It's always been like that with Disney movies for me. I wanted to be John Smith, Gaston, Peter Pan, Captain Jack Sparrow, Hades, Aladdin, and I really identify with Iron Man played by Robert Downy, Jr. When I first saw Fight Club, I wanted to be Jack (the main character, played by Edward Norton, although that's not officially the character's name). I also see myself in "I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick and a lot of Wheezer's songs, especially "Buddy Holly". I also kind of identified with Mulan, but I just didn't want to be all ladylike and shit like most of the female characters. I wanted to be the hero. I wanted to be badass like them, and I still do. It's just a lot of different things. My husband says he loves my body and my mind, so I'm sure he'll still love me. And I feel more free to love as a man, which I'm sure he won't mind. Whenever we're out together and I'm dressed like a guy, I just want to hang on him. I love him so much!

I have been doing a lot of shopping lately, just trying on all these clothes from the boys' department. I found that the button-front shirts don't really fit because the sleeves on them are really wide. Maybe if I bound my chest, they'd fit better. Not sure. Men's button-front shirts tend to be too long in the body and the sleeves. In jeans, I wear a 28x30 in men's and a 14 or 16 in boys'. Men's shoes are usually too big, and boys' shoes are too small. I've been looking for unisex-looking women's shoes, which is not easy. Unisex clothes tend to be my best bet.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup: