1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a Wallet

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ahundredpennies, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ahundredpennies

So I have always liked "guy" things and when I was at a clothing store recently I found this really cool wallet. The problem is my mom was going off at me about how girls don't carry wallets and they're for guys only and how I couldn't get it. Well long story short, I bought it anyways with my own savings. Now whenever my mom and I go shopping together she's always pointing out the purses and things and asking if I want one of them instead. I hate purses and feel like they're just not for me. I like wallets but my mom doesn't understand. I don't want to be a boy and I feel hurt by the fact that I feel like I can't be myself. I don't think snapback hats and a black wallet makes me less female but she does and it's making me crazy. I hate the entire "girls wear this" and "boys wear that" motto of most of society's members. Is there anything I can do to help my mom understand that certain items of clothing and accessories labeled for guys on me doesn't make me one?
    To be honest, I like guy clothes a lot more than girls and I just want to be me, if that means my closet is filled with Topman items then so be it.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There probably isn't any one "thing" you can say to make her suddenly "get it", so you may be stuck repeating the mantra of "No, I'm pretty sure I still like wallets more than purses." You might just try turning the tables a bit. "Have you ever gone purse shopping? And you find a purse that you think looks great, and you think how cool it will be with some of your outfits, and how you can't imagine ever wanting a wallet?" She'll of course say "yes", then say "OK, that's how I feel about wallets. I love wallets, I love thinking about how they might go with my outfits, and I can't imagine ever wanting a purse."

Lex

3. ahundredpennies

Thanks Lexington. I like your idea about turning the tables. I respect my mom but sometimes it feels like she doesn't respect me.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's VERY easy for parents to fall into the trap of thinking their kids are...well, kids. Capricious. Not really knowing what they want. "She outgrew ponies and boy bands - she'll outgrow this, too." The best way to approach it is as calmly and rationally as you can. If you sound exasperated or angry or "over it", she can more easily dismiss your viewpoint as "just a teenager being a teenager". If you calmly say "No, I'm pretty sure I still like wallets", she'll be less inclined to.

Lex

5. Hexagon

I often find that expressing distress over the constant nagging (or even bullying, sometimes) can be helpful. Do it calmly, but firmly, and try not to make it sound like a tantrum. Say something like:

"I like [thing]. I'm aware that you don't like [thing], you've made your point of view very clear. I value your opinion, but I'm getting upset and frustrated by your bullying me on the subject, and I would appreciate it if you could stop. I don't bring up your appearance or choice in [thing] all the time, so I'd appreciate it if you could show me the same respect. Thank you".

I've had to do something like that before, and it actually seems to work. My mother can be... difficult when it comes to changing her ways or beliefs, but that usually seems to shut her up.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One possible issue: your mother may be in some sort of denial, and thinking that if she pushes "girl" things, you'll turn straight. Even if you aren't out, she might suspect something.

This aside, there are lots of people who choose to use items typically chosen by the opposite sex. I'm sure there are plenty of women who find wallets more practical. There was a memorable letter to Dear Abby (I think) years back from some "real man" type who wore women's underwear because it was more comfortable for him to wear than anything available for men at the time. (This would have been when I was young, so back then underwear was stuff stitched together from animal skins collected on the hunt. :lol:slight_smile: And I've known women who've bought some unisex like clothes in men's departments since they convinced that it was more durable than what turned up in the women's department.

7. ahundredpennies

BMC77- I think my mom does suspect something which makes it difficult because I want to wear and buy what I want without saying too much about my sexuality since I'm not ready to say anything yet.