1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kinsey Scale

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by dolphinsneu, Jul 2, 2013.

1. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Can somebody explain to me how it works? It might help clear up some questions about my identity.

I definitely know that I have emotional feelings for guys.

2. james2525

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This may help.[​IMG]

3. LD579

The Kinsey scale is just for sexual attraction, mind you. Also, it's inherently flawed because it forces one to quantify a subjective feeling.

It'd be akin to me asking how your day was, with 0 being absolutely terrible and 10 being wonderfully amazing.

4. james2525

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    10 :slight_smile: Everything is going wonderful.

5. dolphinsneu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Is there a difference between physical and sexual attraction?

6. LD579

Wonderful.

Perhaps. It depends. To me, there is no large difference. To others, there may be. For you, it'd depend on what your definitions of physical attraction and sexual attraction are.

With that said, just going by the terms word-for-word, one can extrapolate a general meaning like so:

-Physical attraction would be an attraction to something physical about someone. For instance, I find broad backs and big biceps attractive and appealing to me.

-Sexual attraction would be something that is sexually attractive. For example, I find broad backs and big biceps sexually attractive.

As you can see, for me there is no large difference. For you or others, there may be a discernible difference.

Now, with that said, something that physically attracts you need not sexually attract you, and vice versa.

7. james2525

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How has your day been on that scale.

8. HopeFloats

My question is what does "more than incidentally heterosexual" mean ? I took a quiz and scored a 5.

9. LD579

Incidental = trifling or not that meaningful, in this context.

Basically, your heterosexual attraction means something, and it is more than nothing.

With that said, I don't find the Kinsey scale to be that... good. It's always nice to have another tool around, I suppose, though.

Just because an online test suggested that you were a 5 on the Kinsey scale does not mean that you actually would be a 5 on the Kinsey scale. As for your actual number on the scale... Who knows what it'd truly be? I certainly don't.

For the record, I was not actually asking people how their days were. With that said, thank you for asking, I suppose. It's been quite decent. I'll give it a 6 out of 10... or so.

10. IntoTheDeep

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if there is like an actual scientific answer for this, but here's how I see it. Physical attraction means being able to look at a person and say "Wow, that person is really attractive and nice to look at." Sexual attraction, on the other hand, means actually having a desire, on any level, to have sex with said person. For example, I can look at a man and recognize that he's attractive, maybe even get a little aroused (sorry if that's tmi), but does that mean that I actually want to have sex with him on any level? No.

11. Holly

I personally found the Kinsey Scale to be a very useful tool, especially when I was debating over still liking guys. It definitely takes out the restriction of 'gay' 'straight', 'bisexual'. Although bisexuality is generally considered not to be exactly equal now.

It is harder to explain to people though. But yeah, it's down to personal preference on whether you choose Kinsey or labels, or both.

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It means you're mostly gay. You can have sexual feelings for guys on occasion, but not very often, and you're unlikely to find it fulfilling to be in a relationship with a guy long-term.

But the Kinsey tests out there aren't any more accurate than just showing someone the Kinsey scale and saying 'where are you on this scale'? They won't tell you anything you don't already know about yourself. If you take a Kinsey test while you're questioning, don't be too surprised if the answer turns out to be wrong.