1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glasses/Contact wearers: Near-sighted or far-sighted?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Apr 18, 2014.

?

Near-sighted, far-sighted, astigmatism, or other?

1. Near-sighted

45 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Far-sighted

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Astigmatism

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Other (please specify)

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. Adarya

I have astigmatism. I'm quite sure that I've been wearing glasses since I was 4 (I couldn't pass the kindergarten eye exam). A couple weeks ago I got two new pairs of glasses and they make me unbelievably happier because before I got them my old glasses were terrible.

2. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    My eyes are messed up!

I'm far sighted.
    My right eye has astigmatism and my left eye is lazy.
    Also have some condition where I can only ever see through one eye at a time, they discovered that recently. (No idea what it's called though.)

I used to wear contacts almost 24-7, but moved onto glasses a few months ago and loving them. Always hated glasses growing up as a kid. :slight_smile:

3. I wear corrective lenses to read books because my eyes can't focus well on small font. I can see just fine without them.

Sometimes, I wear my reading glasses for show since they don't do THAT much for my eyes.

4. Jethro702

Yeah maybe for better word... everything from my computer screen on is blurry or I cant see it... lol A foot or closer is pretty clear.

5. Kabuki

I have astigmatism, and I can't see things that are far, and I see blurry the things that are close although I can sometimes read them depending on how bid they are. I wear glasses since 3rd grade.

6. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a bad left eye as well. They thought my left eye was lazy for a few years, but my most recent eye doctor discovered that they just weren't correcting the astigmatism in my left eye properly. I avoided glasses when I was younger because I was afraid of my left lens looking thick. Now I wear glasses unless I want to wear sunglasses.

7. Kabuki

I also forgot to mention that mine have no correction, glasses just slow the process.

8. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    We should form a club! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Cass

Farsighted

10. justjade

I have a lazy eye.

11. EyesNeverLie

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

You definitely should have made this poll multiple choice. Astigmatism is not separate from nearsightedness/farsightedness

I was diagnosed in my mid-teens as nearsighted with astigmatism. That's when I got my first pair of glasses. I rarely wore them.

On my most recent eye test, I was diagnosed as still nearsighted (though not as bad), but without astigmatism, so my prescription changed.

My eyes aren't that bad though. I passed my eye test at DMV without glasses, so I have no restrictions on my driver license, although driving is one of the few activities for which I will wear my glasses. (Although if it's sunny out, I will probably wear a pair of sunglasses instead.)

My first pair of glasses were plain cheap silver wire ones, and I never wanted to wear them.

Then I finally got some stylish pairs of glasses, my second pair were brown ones with small frames by Burberry, and my third pair were black ones with large frames by Versace. I wear one or the other depending on my outfit. If I don't think glasses go with my outfit, then I just don't wear glasses. Even though they are prescription, glasses for me are just fashion accessories.

No matter how many times the ophthalmologist claims it is a myth, I still maintain that wearing glasses all the time would make my eyes grow weaker and dependent on them, and my eyesight would worsen. My eyesight improved over the years while only wearing glasses occasionally.

I tried wearing contacts once. I still have the boxes of contacts. Contacts are not for me, I found it difficult to put them in my eyes, and more trouble than they are worth. My sister and stepfather wear contacts, and I always hear them talking about needing contact fluid or their eyes dry out and having to remember to take their contacts off before going to bed, or else they have big problems the next day. Not worth the hassle.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -8 and -8.5

So no complaining.

14. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely near sighted. I didn't start wearing glasses until early in high school, although it was recommended much earlier, but because I was self-conscious, found any excuse not to use them. Wore contacts on-and-off in college, but found them a lot more troublesome for day-to-day use, so went back to glasses.

Sometimes, I'll go days without glasses, like before, just to experience blurriness. It's pretty trippy.

15. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

I wear bi-focal glasses. I'm near sighted, far sighted, my right eye has some retinal detachment, and I have cataracts on both my eyes. But right now it's only the beginning stages so in a year or so I'll get what can fixed "fixed or updated" and what will continue to decline will just continue getting worse until gone. We are like our computers and become outdated...:tears:

16. tscott

Near-sighted with a slight astigmatism. Love my glasses. I won't wear contacts, plus as a teacher it is useful to be able to look over the top of them.:badgrin:

17. CaptainClyde

CaptainClyde Guest

I need reading glasses, but I'm rather nearsighted in my left eye.

18. Van

Van

Near-sighted. I wear glasses.

19. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm short sighted and can see very little without glasses. I have tried contact lenses, but they really irritate my eyes, so it's glasses all the time for me (I wear frameless lenses most of the time). Seriously considering laser eye treatment.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an astigmatism in my right eye. I don't need glasses when doing everyday activities, but wear them when using the computer - otherwise, I get headaches and eye strain, and possibly a migraine. My left eye is picking up some of the slack.

In fact, I don't have my glasses on right now, and my head is already starting to hurt above my eyes, after a minute or two of computer usage.

That reminds me - I must find my glasses.

#40 imnotreallysure, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014