1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street fighter vs Mortal kombat

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Radioactive Bi, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which was your favourite?

For me, I think I have to say MK.

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

Street Fighter, because fuck block being a button.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm a fan of both but prefer street fighter. MK went in a different direction from classic fighters by expanding on its lore and storyline through singleplayer modes. I feel like it's gameplay and characters suffered cause of this (though the last game was better with it) while SF overall is more smooth and stylistic, easier to learn and fun to play.

Both series can't seem to come up with any new ideas lately which is disappointing. The whole SF4 series is basically riding off SF2 and alpha nostalgia while MK9 is a remake of MK1-3 and has some of the most laughable attempts at new characters in the series. Oh and dont even get me started on Ultra Street Fighter 4 cause that is just a horrible joke lol

hm this should probably be in the gaming section

#3 kageshiro, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

The two of them don't even seem comparable lol

I prefer Street Fighter, although my favorite fighting series of all time is Soul Calibur. I don't like MK at all.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Not really xD They get compared cause they're both popular 2D fighters but besides that have almost nothing else in common. They're really different visually and tonally and have completely different gameplay. Yet Ed Boon still has his heart set on making an MK vs SF game someday, go figure

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

The only MK I played was the super old 90's ones. I can't get into any of them today for a simple reason: Way too gory. I don't like gore at all, but I like fighting games. Street Fighter would only win 3rd place for me though. 1st is Soul Calibur and 2nd Blazblue.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mortal combat

8. Bolin

While they're both 2D fighters, they're both really different, so I can't really compare the two. I like them both very much, Street Fighter probably a bit more. I like Mortal Kombat for its very comprehensive story (which is something a lot of non anime-esque fighters lack), but the gameplay has been highly inconsistent throughout the series, especially between Mortal Kombat 3 through MK vs DCU. As for Street Fighter, the gameplay has been fairly consistent, and the majority of the characters are really likeable and unique. The story, however, feels very convoluted, and I'm still not too sure what's going on, despite being a fan of the series for almost two decades now.

9. Yosia

im not that big of a fan of either, I prefer dead or alive ^.^

10. Notsoshure

Mortal combat

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Street Fighter, if we're comparing game play, since it's a lot more consistent, and besides fatalities, MK doesn't have a lot going on for it, if we're to judge it by other 2D fighting games. I do like the creativity and dark themes that go into MK character, stage, and story design, though.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

MK has had alot of characters whos design was totally boring and uninspired 2 though. Just look at a few of its newer introductions to get a general idea of how creativity in that series went down the drain. Skarlet is the 2 most shallow selling points of the series (blood and boobs) personified. Even her name isn't original since fans came up with it. Cyber Sub Zero I dunno if I can even call a character. And dont tell me you all forgot about the classic Dark Kahn...

[​IMG]

yeah i wish i did too

I really like alot of things about MK and have alot of great memories with the series but man do NRS seem out of ideas lately. Street Fighter at least has consistently good characters that all feel complete if nothing else. For me it's definitely the most fun to play or watch played competitively with MVC3 in a close second whereas watching an MK or Injustice tournament tends to be like watching pant dry.

I think the most interesting difference about these 2 franchise' is the totally opposite ways their developers tend to treat their fans. Capcom as always could give a shit less and currently is treating us to 4 recycled SF cross Tekken characters and a Cammy clone instead of anything anybody asked for. Netherrealm on the other hand cares a little too much about what their fans want xD