1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think your sexuality affects your music taste?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChromeNerd, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it affects my music taste.

2. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Don't have a study to back this up (although there may be one out there?). But I seem to notice a significantly greater interest and participation in classical music among LGBTQ people vs. straight. Since my music tastes are classical almost exclusively, I'll answer your question with a "maybe".

3. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Me, too.
    I've got a straight friend with the same music taste.

4. XTREMEZish

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope

5. Corwin

Interesting theory. I don't know if there's anything to it, but my own case does support it, as I've always been heavily into classical. My classical musical collection far outweighs the combined total of the other genres that I have. And the only music I can actually play is classical. Hmmm...

6. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, as my sexuality by no means determins my personality and tastes outside of physical attraction, I cannot make a connection between this and my tastes in music.

Happy days :slight_smile:

7. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been told that I have the musical taste of a 40-something gay man. I don't actually know any gay men but I am taking it as a compliment. *turns up my Celine Dion album* :wink:

8. thekillingmoon

No, I listen to a variety of music. There is a tendency that gay people are more likely to listen to music artists that are also gay, which is kinda true. Probably cause they can relate to them and their music a little better. Personally I don't listen to any bands/artists just cause they're gay. If I like their music and they happen to be gay as well, that's cool. But it's not something that is important to me when looking for music to listen to.

9. AlamoCity

Yes, my music playlist was about 90% country/bluegrass before I was gay and when I turned gay, it went to 95% country/bluegrass. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, I don't think music tastes are affected by sexuality. Environment is probably a more likely culprit for music tastes than sexuality. As a gay man, I haven't really felt an urge to switch to the pop stations, showtunes, or other "gay-friendly" types of music. "Wicked" musical tunes didn't appear on my iPhone :roflmao:.

10. Niko

Definitely not.

11. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I know several straights who have an interest in classical music. However, even the most passionate among them doesn't begin to approach the depth and breadth of interest I encounter among LGBTQ friends and acquaintances. In fact, "passion" really isn't even a word I should use to describe the somewhat mediocre fondness the straights I know feel for classical music. On the other hands, there are a bunch of queer folk in my "circle" who are outright fanatical about it (and I'm the biggest fanatic of them all).

Look also at the disproportionate queer representation among classical composers, performers and critics. If you have a roster of, say, favorite pianists, there's more than a good chance that at least a few of them are queer. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them were. Vladimir Horowitz once said "There are only three kinds of pianists; Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists" (he was all but the latter).

I often hypothesize (at probably obscene length--like Beethoven's Ninth, length) that there's something in the queer brain that renders it more acute to, or at least more prone to appreciating the complex musical patterns of most classical pieces vs. random straight counterpart. Speaking just for myself personally, my brain is constantly turning over my favorite classical pieces in my head, regardless of what I am doing during the day. (Actually listening to it is the only thing that gets it to stop, a good motivator.) For example, the other day it was Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano (a ridiculously hard piece). I spun it up for the umpteenth time after randomly stumbling across a dialogue about the piece on the internet. The next day, my brain played the piece almost in its entirety on a loop throughout the day. (It's almost an hour long, so that's saying something.) Yesterday and today, it's been Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata--a much more modest proposition. The music's been off for well over 24 hours, but my brain hasn't stopped playing it. In fact, the piece's third movement is playing over and over in my head as I type this.

All this mental activity despite the fact that I can't even play an instrument. :confused2:

In short, yes, I believe very strongly that my obsession with classical music is innate to my queerness.

12. musicrebel

I don't really think it affects my taste in music. I've always liked the same music. :slight_smile:

13. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

They are different things :confused:

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, I don't think so.

15. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting. My dad and grandmother(his mom) are both huge fans of classical music. They're also straight as far as I can tell. I'm queer and I'm not that into classical music. I prefer electronic pop music and traditional music.

16. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Yeah, certainly nothing provable about what I said. If being queer automatically meant favoring classical music, neither Madonna nor Lady Gaga may have ever gotten off the ground, lol. I do believe being queer inclines one toward liking classical music vs. random straight person, though.

17. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NOPE! i meet a ton of straight guys who listen to heavy metal =P

18. Kat 5

I now liek dubstep.

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

What is "gay" music anyway?

20. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if you really want to get technical, it's "happy" music :lol:frowning2:!)