1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silverware: American or Continental

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Apr 23, 2014.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's there to fear? South Asian food is practically designed for hands, and with practice you can eat everything with just one hand (even flatbreads like chapatis) and only getting the tips of your fingers dirty.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never come across an American who eats in the "American" style; they've all eaten just as every other Westerner does. Are there certain groups who are more likely to eat in that way? And I don't see how handedness can influence your style of eating.

I almost always eat in the "European" style, and that's how most cutlery feels it should be used. The only time I don't is when I eat East Asian foods; I'll often eat with chopsticks (I'm good with them, but I'm not sure if I follow various rules of etiquette correctly)

3. AlamoCity

I'll be honest, I'm afraid of staining myself with turmeric. It's a handful to wash up after using it :lol:.

But I will admit that there are some "Western elitist" factors at play. Most "Western" finger foods are solid single masses while South Asian foods can be more finicky like rice and such. I apologize if this sounds rude, but I guess it also stems from the fact that from an early age we are taught that eating with our hands is taboo (certain foods excepted).

#43 AlamoCity, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I like chopsticks

5. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Continental. But if the food doesn't require cutting then I eat with my fork in my right hand

6. Trentacles

I use continental. I didn't know there was more than one method.

I have no idea what our cutlery is made from but I know it's not silver lol

7. Illus1

Continental here, I used to switch as a kid constantly but always considered continental classier idk why. What gets me is when people eat a croissant with a knife and fork, hilarious.

Same here, rotis/chapatis are the only exception heck I even eat dosa's (thin rice pancake with stuffing) with a knife and fork. (NRI grandchild here)

Side note: Did you know that human teeth used to clench together before the invention of cutlery? And that can still be seen in some countries where one doesn't use it. Their teeth clench right on each other, unlike ours where the bottom set of teeth sit behind the top set.

8. Hexagon

Way too posh for me. Just don't eat like a complete pig, and you're fine by me.

9. Hiems

I feel more comfortable with American, but I seldom use this method because most food I eat doesn't require it. Since I usually eat Viet food at home, I use chopsticks.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some of us even eat reverse continental :eek: :roflmao:

12. AlamoCity

Haha, I think people who are left-handed are the ones who happen to do the whole "reverse continental" more. Place settings are designed with right-handed people in mind, that's why the spoons and knives go on the right of the plate because most right-handed people will pick them up with the right hand; using a knife with your right hand is more difficult, I us suppose, if you're a lefty.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um... neither. When I'm eating something that can't be proportionally separated by fork alone, I hold a knife in the left hand and hold down food (usually meat) with a fork in the right hand. Then, I use the right hand with the fork to eat the food. The knife may or may not be put down depending on whether I'm in a hurry.

Basically, when I eat, and I'm using a fork, it will never leave my right hand. :lol:

Although I should say that if someone told me I could only eat something with fork in left hand and knife in right, I would have a very, very difficult time doing it. So I guess that points toward an American preference. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------------

Oh good, I'm not entirely alone. *high-fives* :lol:

#53 Browncoat, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you ever been to the US? If your only experience has been with American tourists that could be a factor--that is, they pick up the European system while, say, studying abroad.

I'll have to start paying attention to see what I see people doing. Too bad this question didn't come up before my Top Secret LGBT Group Dinner Meeting Monday night...

---------- Post added 24th Apr 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

Honestly I don't use the American system very much. I live alone, and most of the time my meals are a bowl in my left hand, a fork or spoon in my right. I seldom eat anything that needs cutting.

15. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I'm right-handed, I usually eat with my left (except when food requires cutting, then I use my right hand to cut it and keep the fork in my left, Continental-style). I'm also a leftie archer. We think it comes from my dad, who's a rightie but plays sports and uses a computer mouse left-handed.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not offended. Interestingly, while Westerners eat some things with their hands, they often don't wash their hands, which any Indian would be shocked to observe since they always wash their hands before (and after) eating. There was a recent NPR article on the subject:
    Is Everything More Delicious When You Eat With Your Hands? : The Salt : NPR

17. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, "Continental"/"European".

I'm American and have never heard of this "American" way of eating (cutting one piece of food and then putting the knife down and switching the fork to the right hand for each piece of food? Wha? :eek:slight_smile:, I have never seen any American eat this way. It seems like it would be very tedious and time-consuming to eat in such a fashion.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The "American" style is actually European in origin, as well. But, like many things, Europe changed, and now what was once a French fashion is seen as uniquely American.

19. AlamoCity

There seems to be a similar effect with the quality of flatware used. An NPR blog mentioned how food served with silver flatware, for some, "tastes" better than the same food served with plastic cutlery. The effect is mostly psychological, it seems, because we associate "higher quality" foods being served with better flatware.

I will state that because of the amazing thermal conductive properties of silver, unrivaled by any other element, sterling spoons can get quite chilly when eating ice cream and other cold foods and quite warm when eating warmer foods.

Your Choice In Utensils Can Change How Food Tastes : The Salt : NPR

20. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I suppose I'm one of the few Americans here who still eats like a civilized man. :wink: