1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News So... It's back, 1 dead and a whole city quarantined

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MtnFr3sh, Jul 22, 2014.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Chinese City in Quarantine After Bubonic Plague Death: Report - ABC News

If you don't buy this, cross reference it because there are tons of reputable sources.

ABC news:
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/22/5927601/china-seals-off-30000-people-after-bubonic-plague-death
    The Verge:

2. Tim

Tim

It's always been here.

The difference is there is a treatment now... if it's caught before it reaches certain stages. Which it usually is if someone goes to the doctor when they have the symptons that would usually make someone go.

There's usually quite a few cases of the Plague in the world every year. The mortality rate for it is usually only ~1-15%. And even then, untreated the mortality rate nowadays is only 40-60%.

3. Caillin

[​IMG]

Good thing for modern medicine

4. RainDreamer

*put on tinfoil hat*

That is only what the media say! That man died from a zombie bite! His animated corpse is now in the hand of the Chinese government and the city is quarantined as a cover for military forces to sweep through to eliminate the zombie threat!

It is the end of the world! The dead rises!

*takes off tinfoil hat*

I always wanted to do that.

5. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I don't know if this is related but.. I'm still waiting for the zombie apocalypse to happen. I have already planned out what I'm going to do in my head :lol:

So girls never fear I have a plan! :lol:

#5 ChloeKiss, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not at all surprised. I was in Chongqing in the former Szechuan province of China. Late one night going back to my hotel I noticed in a public square the silhouette of several dozen rats scurrying about under some plants. Although I was in a fairly modern part of the city, it just reminded me of what lurked beneath the veneer.

Historically, rats were the most prevalent way that the plague had spread, they carried the fleas that carried the Yersinia pestis bacterium, a rather nasty enterobacter that kills about two thirds of untreated victims within about 4 days...

7. Candace

I mean, this doesn't surprise me either. Their quality of life is lower and just because it might be eradicated for us doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone. All you need are a few rats, people in an area where close contact is prevalent, and voila! You have the bubonic plague all over again.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the Black Death all over again!

9. Aquilo

Nothing to worry about. Nothing new.

The bubonic plague, or Black Death, has always been around, lurking in Asia with occasional outbreaks into Europe even in the 19th century. It's not as dangerous any more as the outbreaks in the Middle Ages, we have modern medicine and more importantly hygiene now. It will stay where it is and even if people travel out of the affected area, they're not likely to infect others.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't an exactly rare occurrence. If it becomes immune to antibiotics, then there's a problem, but it's not like we're in danger of another bout of global plagues. It hasn't died, and it has been contained whenever it turns up like this.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every now and again, you see the bubonic and nubonic plagues pop up in the US 4-corners region, so this isn't really an odd occurrence. Still, hearing about it gives you an odd feeling.

12. Worrier king

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There are four cases currently in Colorado.

13. Hexagon

Yeah, there is a cure. I don't imagine the world is going to be ravaged by it again. I'd be more concerned about the emergence of something similar to spanish flu - there is a high risk of a strong flu virus becoming a pandemic and killing millions. TB is also an issue, given that certain completely antibiotic resistant strains have been found.