1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I tell future roommates I'm lesbian?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stocking, Jul 23, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Like to avoid living with homophobic people, I just worry if it's a guy, he will try to video tape me having sex in my room with out my permission. So I really don't want to room with men unless they are gay as well.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think you should, put try and maneuver it into the conversation

3. Really

Is this a group situation? I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary unless he tried to date you. And then still you could just say you're otherwise engaged.
    If you all develop as friends and you become comfortable, by all means tell them. They might know some nice girls. :wink:

#3 Really, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. Sabot Kitty

I don't know; do you feel you'll have to tell them eventually? And do you have a choice in roommates? If so, I'd try to feel them out for homophobia and/or fetishization more indirectly first.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just don't want to live with homophobic people anymore and be forced back into the closet .

6. Proginoskes

Depends on whether you are actively friends with any of your roommates. If you're not friends, then I don't see any reason that you should tell them.

7. Benj

Benj Guest

I'm totally agree with Proginoskes, if you guys are not friends and you can't trust them as well, don't tell them. I myself already came out to my future roommate but he's my best friend so is not the problem about the trust.

8. PrettyConfused

Don't tell them if you don't trust them. If you're still in the closet, telling other people that you don't really know could be a little dangerous. They could somehow use it against you...you never know :/ I don't think just any guy would do something like...you've gotta be pretty douchey to even think of doing something so perverted without your permission.

9. Clay

Man a lot of people telling you to stay in the closet here. That's unhealthy.

If you're out then I don't see a reason to hide it from your roommates. A lot of people talking about trust, but they're just your roommates what would you be trusting them with? Your sexuality doesn't really make much of a difference to people.

Just to mention too, that "videotape" thing is quite a bad way of thinking, you should have that prejudice. It's offensive to think people will act in a wildly innappropriate and illegal way just because they happen to be a different sexuality.

#9 Clay, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  10. Candace

I think that you should say something in avoiding a situation like that. Even if that were to occur, you should take it to your R.A. since they're supposed to maintain a gay friendly environment anyway.

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :thumbsup: I don't know how about in your area but I'd probably search for LGBT roommates. I just googled for it and there are sites that have gay/lesbian sharing preference option.

12. TheStormInside

So here are a few questions for you, stocking. Do you know the people you are planning to room with already? And if so what is your relationship with them? Also, do you see yourself bringing women back to the apartment with you? Because if so they'll find out eventually anyway.

If you don't know these people and you're doing a craigslist search for roommates I think you can try to introduce the issue carefully before you even meet them. Most people want to email a bit first and you can sort of try to feel them out for their feelings on LGBT people. That way it's still anonymous so no harm done if you find out they are homophobic, you don't have to meet them in person or take it any further from there.

I seriously doubt you'd encounter someone that sketchy that they'd want to video you, but it's also pretty common that women only want to room with other women and you can specify that if you post an ad, or just respond to ads with female posters.

Sometimes things can go poorly but personally I had a great experience searching for a roommate online. I met one of my best friends that way. Just be careful in your vetting process. We emailed several times back and forth before meeting and showing her the apartment, and also met in a neutral location.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know these people , I think i might bring a woman back but I prefer going to her place but if she wants to visit me I wouldn't stop her from coming .
    The reason I'm scared of men video taping me is because of that kid who was in the news and killed himself because of it and the video was shown to many people . Also I have heard stories of men putting camera in women's rooms and streaming it online for people to watch so I got scared .
    I want to come out of the closet .

14. Sabot Kitty

You could follow these steps for sweeping for cameras; or put up your own hidden camera at the entrance, if you can afford that.

15. Jwis

I would tell them, I think its much healthier to have things like this out in the open.

It makes it easier to bring your girlfriend home. I also believe in honesty, and I think its important to be honest with those that you live with.

I wouldn't worry about videotaping, I think it is being overly paranoid. You would have to come across a major jerk to do something like that. Sure it happens, but I wouldn't live my life in fear because of it. It happens to so few people.