1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM top surgery

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NingyoBroken, Jul 24, 2014.

1. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

So I am very curious about top surgery. I likely won't end up doing it because of my horrible pain tolerance and fear/disgust with someone poking around at my insides (although to be honest, it looks worth it), but still I want to know some things, just in case.

Basically, I want to know about the healing process. Just how much does it hurt? What about aftercare? Any other complications? Details please!

Thank you

2. Ali101xx

Ali101xx Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    Recovery time from FTM Top Surgery is approximately 2 weeks. This will vary patient to patient, and can be influenced by the type of Top Surgery you have. For example, recovery from Double Incision can take a little longer than recovery from Keyhole Top Surgery.

Will I be in pain after surgery?
    You can expect some discomfort following surgery but nothing that cannot be managed with moderate pain medication, which your doctor will prescribe.

How much time will I need to take off school and/or work?
    Students and those with more stationary “desk jobs” will need to take about 2 weeks off. Those who have had Double Incision or Inverted-T Top Surgery may want to take 3 weeks off. If you have a physical job, you should take more time off, between 4-6 weeks. It’s important not be a “hero” in recovery as doing too much can negatively affect your Top Surgery results.

How much time will I need to take off from working out or playing sports?
    You will need to take a minimum of 4-6 weeks off from working out and playing sports. Body builders should wait longer, 6-8 weeks for moderate workouts, and 2-3 months for heavy chest work outs and overhead straining.
    Tips for easy healing:

Quit Smoking: If you’re looking for yet another reason to quit smoking, here it is. Current smokers considering FTM chest surgery should quit at least two months in advance surgery. Cigarette smoke inhibits nutritional blood flow to the skin, which ultimately delays wound healing and may result in undesirable scarring and discoloration.

Low Sodium Diet: Excess sodium can cause your body to retain fluid, which can prolong swelling during your recovery. Following a low sodium diet (less than 1500 mg a day) in advance of your procedure will help minimize water retention and ultimately reduce post-surgical swelling.

Avoid Certain Medications: Blood thinners, anti-inflammatory medications and certain herbal supplements are known to increase your risk of bleeding and bruising, and they should be discontinued at least 7 to 10 days prior to surgery. You should share all prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and herbal supplements with your doctors in advance of your surgery.

FTM Chest Surgery: When will I see final results?

The final results of FTM chest surgery will greatly depend on the techniques used during your procedure. “Keyhole” surgery removes less tissue and no skin from the chest, which can make the final results of your procedure less predictable. Your final chest contour may not be visible for several months.

In contrast, the “double incision” method removes more skin and tissue, and also allows your surgeon to resize and reposition your nipples, thus giving him/her more control over your final appearance. The results from the double incision method will be more readily visible immediately after surgery, but it will still be another several months before final results are apparent.

Permanent Scarring

Every patient is different, but permanent scarring is an inevitable consequence of FTM chest surgery. Initially, your scars will appear raised and discolored. They will gradually fade and flatten over the course of 12 to 18 months.

The size and shape of your scars will depend on the techniques used during your chest surgery as well as your body’s natural inclination towards scarring. Your D.R will discuss scar placement with you during your consultation.
    Hope all goes well for you x
    Do you know what surgery you are going to get? I'll be able to help you out regarding information if the above is not enough.

3. earthlvr510

Ali101xx did an EXCELLENT job explaining everything, could not have put it better myself. Im actually sitting in a hotel in florida waiting to leave for the hospital for my surgery so I can give you some responses to all that as its happening. Everything mentioned above is what im expecting, its the little stuff that has been a big hassle. Things like paperwork and fasting for the surgery, I cant even drink water! I will let you know my experience with pain and aftercare tomorrow or the next day. From what ive heard the itching and tightness from the bandages are the most annoying part of the post-surgery.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Thank you for your information.
    I don't know why, but Keyhole sounds a little less scary than the others.. Probably because it's a small incision. But it wouldn't work for me, I have moderately large breasts (which I hate with a passion), and big areolas..

I don't know what method would be best for my body, so I have no idea.
    Also I'm not super set on getting it for the reasons already said (though I want it as I am dysphoric about my chest), so haven't made plans.

earthlvr510, yes please keep me updated!
    Good luck with your surgery ^^

5. FtMart

I have a question. I want top surgery but I take iron supplements so when I have the surgery will I need to stop taking them?

6. earthlvr510

iron was not on the list of meds I was told to avoid but you will need to clear any meds with your doctor any way.
    Anything larger than an A or very small B cup requires the double incision which is what I got.
    I just got back from the hospital and im really feeling fine. I got out of surgery about 2 hours ago, I am on Vicodin but not that much. Other than some moderate fatigue and a bit of soreness around the drains im feeling pretty good. im just hanging out on the couch while my aunt makes some food for me. Im feeling a lot better than I thought I would, though I bet its at least partly the pain meds :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    As far as anxiety about someone poking around in you they gave some sort of mild sedative before they even took me to the operating room so I barely remember anything past the pre op waiting room. All of the nurses were extremely nice and considerate. Also if you explain your anxiety about the operation to the doctor before hand when you have the first consultation to set dates and all that I am more that sure that they will do what they can to make it as comfortable as possible. You could call/email them with some general questions too without setting anything up. If you have any other questions just give me a shout!

7. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Okay thanks ^^
    Well sounds a whole lot less scary than I imagined, as for the pain.
    That's good you don't remember much at all, personally if it was one of those operations where you are drugged but still awake, I'd have an anxiety attack...

I think I'm a not-so-small B cup. Haven't worn a bra in ages (them things just make your chest bigger) so don't know my exact size.

How about taking a shower? When can you do that and how excruciating is it?

---------- Post added 26th Jul 2014 at 06:36 AM ----------

Ah, and sleeping. Tell me how painful that is. I usually cannot sleep on my back so.. That's gonna be fun. Haha

Also, do you have to see a therapist and get a referral letter?
    That's an obvious "yes", but just making sure.

I am young and have years to do this. I'm not seeing a therapist, but would see one in the future to get permission for surgery if that's the way it has to be.

And about price, what is the cost of the double-incision surgery?

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

And also (sorry for multiple posts, hope it isn't against the rules)

I just watched a video on YouTube, a trans guy talking about his recovery process
    And my goodness, sound like a nightmare.., one thing that I'd hate more than anything, is that he said he had to be highly dependent on his mother the whole time, and that she said it was like taking care of a newborn baby, and said that if you're one of those high and mighty people who are very self-sufficient and independant, you have to be prepared to be the opposite and have someone even, and I quote, "do some pretty intimate things for you"

Well guess what! I am one of those people to an unhealthy degree. I hate depending on anyone and hate feeling weak and vulnerable.. And whatever "intimate things" he was talking about, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want anyone doing for me.

I'm worried (or rather, disgusted) again now.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Costs vary from place to place and surgeon to surgeon, so I can't say. I've heard prices ranging from $3000-$8000; maybe more.

While recovering, I don't think you'll be able to take a shower on your own. I've heard someone say someone can help you take a "bird bath" with a wash cloth at the very least. But your surgeon will most likely let you know when you're good, probably once you get your drains removed, but you'll have to face away from the shower head to avoid getting water directly hitting your chest for a while.

I'm a side sleeper, so that won't be fun. I'm sure you can use a bed as long as you prop yourself up enough, or there's a recliner. I don't think it would be too painful since you'll have pain killers. One of the guys I follow on Youtube looked like he stayed in his living room, sleeping on a recliner. I'm not sure how other guys are with aftercare, but it's important to remember to take it easy.

As far as referrals go, that's usually a yes. For top surgery, that's typically one letter (two for bottom surgery). Different surgeons have different requirements and different rules. Some will perform top surgery if you're under 18 and some take insurance. It just depends on where you go.

10. earthlvr510

I didn't know my size either but a good judge is that the keyhole doesn't remove any skin, it just pulls out the tissue. I cant take a shower until the bandages come off about a week from now, I can use baby wipes, wear deodorant, and wash my face and hair, just as long as the bandages don't get wet its fine. If your desperate you can hop in the shower with a poncho so you can wash your legs and all. I havnt tried to shower yet but I havnt heard anything about it hurting you just cant let the water hit your chest directly. You do have to sleep on your back for I think 6 weeks, it doesn't hurt to sleep on my back though, it would hurt to sleep on my side so im sure you would get used to it.
    The therapist referral letter is required at most surgeons, it was for me but there are places out there that don't need it.
    Im exactly like what you described, im highly independent and hate asking for help for anything so that has been hard for me. I asked my aunt and a close friend to come with me though instead of my mom. Bring someone you trust and are comfortable with and you should be fine. It varies from person to person but ive been able to do more on my own than I thought I could. I don't need help with anything but lifting, the only things she's really done are drive me around and cook for me. Other than that I can handle it if I take it slow. The most intimate thing that needs to be done is emptying the drains which you can do yourself after the first time or two.

As for price mine was 6,900 with Dr. Garramone, which is average. Some insurance plans do cover it but call and triple check first. Mine was not covered and accidentally paid the security deposit before I found that out but thankfully my parents and aunt chipped it, but if your paying yourself don't make the same mistake.

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Wow that's very expensive. I'm not so well off, and planning to save money for moving to Japan.
    If I get top surgery I want to do it before I go to Japan though, as I heard surgeons there are stricter and often require you to be on hormones for a while before getting trans surgery of any kind.
    I guess I'd have to save up for that first, if I end up deciding in the future.

By the time I decide to get surgery, I will no longer be a minor, and will most likely be living by myself, hopefully out of town. By then I might have a close friend or a lover who could help me out if it comes to it (I have no real life friends or a boyfriend now though)

I do NOT like the idea of someone bathing me. Hell no. Not one bit. That's living hell for me.
    Perhaps unless it was my lover.
    No problem cleaning myself in the way you mentioned, earthlvr510. As long as no one has to do it for me.

About sleeping, yeah that's actually the thing I'm least worried about.
    If I'm living by myself I have no problem sleeping in the living room if I have to haha
    I'll probably have major insomnia at first because I usually can't sleep unless I'm in a certain position. But I'd probably get used to it, as you said.

And also, sorry if I sound really picky about every little thing.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how many surgeons require (or recommend) you be on hormones first, but I've seen people get top surgery before getting on the T train.

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I heard in somewhere that in Japan mostly all surgeons require you to.

Which is why if I decide to get the surgery done, I want to have it done here.
    I do not want to be on hormones.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure someone can pull up a list of people who may be of service. I might be wrong, but I think Garramone is one of those people that don't require HRT first.

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yes I know there are people here in the US who do it, my point was that in Japan there supposedly aren't (very many).

Which again is why I would get it here. It wasn't an issue.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh okay, I misheard you.

17. earthlvr510

yeah it is very pricey, you have to factor in travel, hotels, food, and all that because you need to stay in the area for a week so they can remove the bandages and drains. I am lucky enough to have a wonderfully supportive aunt who came into some money and is paying for my entire trip. Most surgeons accept carecredit as a line of credit to pay for it but you would need a decent credit score to be able to cover everything with that. There are also a ton of fundraising sites out there that trans folks use to raise money for surgeries. That's what I would have done if my aunt hadn't offered to cover it. There are ways to pay for it so don't despair!

An update on what's going on here, as the post-op days tick by ive been having more and more back pain from how tight the dressings are. The actual incisions are feeling better but my back is killing me and sleeping on it is not fun at all. I keep having to get up at night to take more pain meds. I remember them saying that could happen, especially if you've been binding for a while and that started to cause back pain, but just something else to think about. Pain meds do tend to make me wicked tired though so they help me sleep anyways :slight_smile: You don't sound picky at all, its good to know what your getting in to. Let me know if you have any more questions! And yes, Dr. Garramone is one of the doctors that doesn't require you to be on hormones.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some might let you go home to recover, but it depends. I may see Dr. Medalie in Cleveland, OH; and I was told by some people that they had to stay in town to recover and some were able to go home if they lived within 4-6 hours of the office.

19. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    There are non-letter-requiring clinics here in Taiwan.

20. MycroftTARDIS

I've got the same fears as you! Would it be possible to just bind for the rest of my life? Do hormones take care of it a bit? I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to surgury (never had it, don't want it, might need it someday :frowning2:), so..... :help: