1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for colleges/universities

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EleanorHunter, Jul 29, 2014.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This can be a thread for anyone currently in high school and thinking about college, or anybody with other college/uni related questions. :slight_smile:

Personally, I'm looking through all these things, and I am LOST! I live in Michigan and would rather not travel out of state (though places like Ohio or other nearby states wouldn't be terrible), and am interested in becoming a video game designer. Sadly, it seems that only two colleges in my state offer that as a major. I was hoping to go to U of M, considering it's a great place and would look great on my record, but that major isn't offered there from what I'm seeing (shocking). I'm not too worried about whether I go to a college or university, my mom told me that I could just skip college and go straight to uni. Still, the lack of options is kinda killing me. Any ideas of what I can do...? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I found a list of the top undergraduate schools for Video game design Top Undergraduate Schools for Video Game Design

2 of them are in Michigan(MSU, Ferris State), 1 in Chicago(DePaul) and 1 is in Ohio(although very southern ohio, pretty much at the Kentucky border). It would be a good idea to check out those schools. And those are likely only the top ones, there should be others out there so don't give up!

I don't know about video game design but in some other subjects but at some schools there are things you can study under a more broad major but with a concentration in a specific study. Like a Business Major with a concentration in entrepreneurship. So there could be something like a computer science(or something else with technology or something) major with a concentration in video game design, which you could look into also if they don't have a seperate video game major

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you looked into Lawrence Tech in Southfield? Not sure if they offer video game design, but I would think they would.

4. Gen

Gen

Especially with an interest such as design, it is important to put much more weight into actual course load rather than the title of the major specifically. Video Game Design is essentially Computer Science with additional electives in animation or design related areas. Additionally, it will allow you more flexibility should you ever wish to venture outside of the field of game design in the future. In the absence of a VGD major, it would be a good idea to consider majoring in computer science and something relating to the area of design that interests you. (Music, Art, Administration/Business, etc)

An employer in the field would know that Video Game Design is a very rare major. When it comes to employment into a field such as that, internships, experience, and masters degrees in areas related to programming and design will ultimately be the deciding factors.

5. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for the help so far! :icon_bigg I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so sorry if my questions sound dumb.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would think if Lawrence Tech does not have something, MSU would be a good fit. I have 4 cousins who went there.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are no dumb questions when it comes to picking the right college. This is the very first adult decision most people make in their lives and you're right to be asking these sorts of questions and doing this kind of research.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw this last night while on my phone and decided I would wait until I was on a computer with a keyboard to reply to this. Video game design is a rare major indeed and there may be very few schools that offer it as a major; however, some schools (ex. UNT) do offer a game programming certificate. The game programming certificate here is designed to prepare undergraduate students in the Department of Engineering to launch careers as programmers in the video game industry. That being said, instead of looking for the major, you might want to also look at other programs that meets the goal that you want to achieve. I took the liberty and looked up in the catalog at UNT for what it would take to give you some idea of what to might want to look into. I'll just name the courses: Game Programming I, Programming Math and Physics for Games, Game Programming II, Topics in Game Development. All of these courses have one common theme: Programming. As opposed to a major specifically for video game design, you might want to look at a major in computer science to gain programming skill.

As for your "dumb" questions: You'll be puttin' forth money for some courses that interest you. It's great that high schoolers are starting to think about what they might want to do. Even though the average college student changes their major five times, the last thing you want to do is get into your senior year of college and change your major.

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually the opposite. I had every intention of going to school out-of-state and then ended up staying here (in Michigan). Have you checked all the main schools, including Central, Western, Eastern, and Michigan Tech? I don't think Northern or Lake Superior State would have the program but it's worth a look anyway. Ferris State is a good school; I know a couple people that go there.

I'm surprised U of M (Go Blue) doesn't have it but then they're heavily invested in hard sciences so then again maybe it's not that shocking. MSU is a solid school too.

My general advice is to not just pick based on program, especially if you have any doubts about pursuing it. I changed my major two weeks into my freshman year because I realized it wasn't something that I wanted. One of my roommates changed hers four or five times, and my other roommate once. My cousin started in computer science and then changed to business two years later. The looking for programs in computer science with a concentration in video game design is a good idea.

If you can, visit any schools you want to attend. Get a tour, talk to people there, try the food, and get a feel for the campus. My uncle actually had to talk me into going on a college visit to the school I attend now. It wasn't even on my radar until he did but the moment I stepped foot on campus, it felt like home. You'll be there for a few years so it's important you feel happy there.

10. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are all amazing and I can't thank you enough for the help.

I have a better idea now of what exactly I can do. I think the problem is with the course names and majors themselves, they're always different depending on the school. Also, I'm not totally sure what a major in computer science would mean. I realize that my training with computers that would come with studying video game design would make other jobs easier for me to get (say if the video game industry got super competitive in the next two years and I had no luck). I'm just not too sure of specific examples, and would like to know other options. Mainly because I'll end up being incredibly bored in a job/career that involves no creativity. :lol:

Luckily, it's the summer, so visiting colleges isn't a huge deal for my family and I right now. Most of them are only about a half hour away at the most. I've certainly seen the campuses from the outside before, but I would definitely like to tour a few.

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well the purpose of naming the courses was to point out the common theme and how it would dictate a possible major if your selected school doesn't offer the program. But computer science deals with a lot of coding and such things that would supplement a video game designer very nicely in my opinion and make their resume that much more impressive. If you're totally not sure of programming or would like some insight on what programming would entail, I encourage you to sign up for AP Computer Science (if your school offers that) to get some knowledge of C++ or whatever language they program in. If you end up deciding that programming isn't the thing for you but would still like to be in a career that uses basic computer knowledge, I would suggest a major in BCIS or something to that effect.

Geez...I sound like an adviser in my two replies.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing that I would suggest as well is looking for you major under another name. My major is electronic media sports production. It also goes under the name digital media live production, telecommunications live production and many, many more. Heck, even at my school, the major name is different now since they updated the catalogue. It can all be confusing. I know that at my school, they offer a 3-D design and animation major, which is a lot like video game design. So I would look at alternate names for your major as well.