1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nomdeplume, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Which would you prefer?

1. Big wedding

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Small wedding

35 vote(s)
    54.7%
  3. No wedding

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. idream

idream Guest

I love the idea of getting married:slight_smile: I'm so wearing a white suitcx

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

This^^^

I know I'm a little young to be thinking about marriage but even at this day and age I want a partner I want to be able to go see him (god forbid) if he is ever in the hospital on his death bed. I couldn't do that if we were never married I want the same as everyone else. I want a small wedding with my family and hopefully his, and our closest friends. I don't know why but this topic has always been one that I will fight for and argue heavily for. I even did so before I was "Out" I believe in equality. I want the best for those members of the LGBT+ community who dream about this moment, and for those who weren't able to do it in the past :slight_smile:

3. Midknight96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have no plans what so ever to get married, but plans and circumstances change, so who knows what the future holds for me.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If it happens, great. If not, I'm fine with that. Really, the tax benefits would be nice, but my partner and I's agreement, on this matter, trumps those.

If I were to get married, it depends on where I'm at financially. I'd want a ceremony, maybe not something elaborate, but just something to say, "Hey, we're doing this." That can be just us under some trees, or us standing in the middle of Chuck E. Cheese. Hopefully, my partner would be down for some Whack-A-Rat afterwards, LOL.

5. nomdeplume

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As I said before (see previous post) I tend to be VERY literal, a tax break's a tax break no matter how small :icon_wink. Did I just subconsciously misquote Horton Hears a Who?:icon_redf

I'm still not in agreement with marriage benefits - i.e. pensions and inheritance - I think it should apply to all couples who have been together for an X number of years instead.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I do not want to get married. My bed is mine and mine alone. Furthermore, I don't see why marriage is a government institution in the first place. Whatever happened to separation of church and state?

This person summed up my opinion pretty well. If you're too lazy to click on the link, she basically says that there should be civil unions for everyone (benefits and all) while giving marriage to the religions for them to decide. Basically, it's separating civil and religious marriage so people stop fighting over it. Problem solved.

#26 An Gentleman, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me and my partner aim to get married this fall. We plan to just go down to the courthouse and bring a few friends as witnesses.

Then, we'll get some wine from this friend who works for a wine-bar at wholesale, and have a big party, but nothing formal.

Oh, and gifts. We need to encourage the generous giving of gifts, and remind people that's it's better to give than receive, especially when we're the one's getting.

Plus, we do need a number of small appliances.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What kind of food do you plan on serving? The wine requires food. I'm kidding, of course.

9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I want to get married when I find the right person. I've already written down how I'm going to propose, what I'm going to say, and what the decorations and rings will be like. Hint, I'm making them myself.

10. AKTodd

My partner and I plan to get married fairly soon, probably in the next couple of years. We've been together for almost 18yrs now, but didn't really think about marriage until DOMA was overturned (love is all very nice and all, but tax benefits, etc. are forever). At this point, we've got other things going on and are keeping an eye on the ongoing marriage equality developments in the courts with the hope of being married here in VA rather than having to schlep ourselves to another state.

My partner's sister is a priest and we want her to perform the ceremony, and I know my mom will want to be there for it as well various friends. So a certain amount of travel and accommodations and such are going to be involved.

Todd

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good question. I was thinking just trays of appetizers/finger food, that could be served in waves, so they don't all disappear at once. Oddly enough, I worked for a group of restaurants as a sommelier and also as an events planner. So I know how quickly things can get complicated! Well, it's been over 20 years since we met in college. Funny, feels like a lot less than that.

12. justjade

Small weddings are the best. My current husband and I eloped, and it was more special than the first time I got married, which wasn't a big wedding, but it was so nerve-wracking. I hate planning a wedding. It's an absolute nightmare, especially when you don't get much help from your partner. I'd rather just not have the hassle.

13. Rancid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not something I give too much thought to at the moment, but it's definitely more of a consideration than it was before I came to terms with my orientation. I used to cringe away from the idea of marriage completely. Now I quite like the idea of spending my life with a beautiful woman who I love in every way :slight_smile:

As for the wedding itself, honestly I would love a big celebration. That could be especially because I like to spoil those that I love :grin:

14. Tardis221B

I'd love to have a small simple wedding outside somewhere by trees and water. It would be an intimate and romantic day shared with my future spouse, myself, and select friends and family.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd like to get married one day. I'd like a small wedding(50-60 people if getting married to a woman. Probably a little less if marrying a man. My parents said they aren't even sure if I got married to a man they would attend.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not inclined to sink $50,000 into a wedding, but if we've fought this hard and come this far in just gaining the ability to get married, I need to take the opportunity.

17. Polterpup

I want something extravagant! But then again...I'm fifteen. And I'm one to "live in the now". So I'm not gonna worry about it.

18. sammy1

I agree 100% although I do want to be married someday. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2014 at 11:54 PM ----------

I would like a small wedding with just my family and close friends maybe go to Hawaii I think that would be so nice! :slight_smile:

19. Gen

Gen

I despise weddings and doubt I would have one, but definitely intend to get married in the future.

20. Hexagon

I'm imagining my future with a partner. They want to get married. In the event I lose the argument, I'll just be all like, "fine, how's tomorrow sound? We can get a spot at the registry office".

I'm not a romantic. Marriage is bad. A wedding is worse.