1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic best friend, how do I come out to him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MassiveExtract, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My best friend has been with me through the worst possible situation in my life and fully supported me. He's completely different to me and a bit of an nihilistic asshole, but he's my best friend, regardless.

Even so, I've been hiding a secret all this time from him and now it has come to the point where it is unbearable. Recently I accepted myself as gay, I've been coming out to some of my friends and close acquaintances, it has been beautiful as all of them have been incredibly surprised but accepting.

He is still the one person I'd like to come out to - but he's been homophobic all his life. He's demonstrated this through his words and actions. He still believes that I'm straight and he continues to show my pictures of naked girls, talk to me about girls and I truly feel annoyed now because I'd just love to tell him "Dude I'm gay."

I've recently been ignoring him every-time he shows me a girl or talks about them, perhaps giving him hints and yet he doesn't seem to get it. I feel like I'm lying to him and myself, regardless of everything, do ya'll think I should sit down and chat with him? I'm slightly afraid of losing him, but then again if he doesn't accept him than such a friend he was... that's easier said :bang:than done, though, in reality I'm afraid it will hurt more than I think... to lose him.

2. The Dude

I had only one sort of homophobic friend to come out to, while the rest seemed neutral. I guess it was surprising to a lot of people, but nobody really cared and neither did he, really. I bet he struggled with it a little, and he once told me "I'm glad I knew you before you were gay", which is a stupid statement for multiple reasons. But now he asks me about my boyfriend and we have a running joke that my friend and I are in a relationship. Maybe your friend will surprise you!

Anyway, if you think he deserves to know via face-to-face interaction than so be it, but I wouldn't blame you for messaging him that you have something important to tell him, and maybe he'll get impatient and want to know immediately. It might give him room to react how he needs to, without you being there. I'd also be honest and say that your nervous to tell him something, as that's how you genuinely feel, and it makes him realize that you care about his reaction. Some people think that a message, facebook message, text or whatever is not appropriate, but I almost think it's better in certain situations. It gives everybody a chance to say what they feel with some deliberation, opposed to a knee-jerk reaction.

Let me know what you think, I'm sure others may have something to say. Also, you deserve to tell him. He's your best friend, and if you're like me, you stress yourself out about his reaction. You deserve an answer, even if it's one you're afraid of.

Hope it goes well!

#2 The Dude, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your support. I believe its best if we see face-to-face, I don't think I can properly explain myself through a text message or something similar, in this situation I do believe that us sitting down for awhile might be much better. Hell, it has been really hard explaining to people why I'm guy and coming out after all this time, can't imagine through text.

Hopefully my best friend is like yours! It would be awesome if he had that reaction, I'm thinking he might, but will be truly shocked and will need time to recover. Well, I'm sure this will happen before next week. Wish me luck! :eusa_danc

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can't come out to your best friend, then who can you trust to come out to? If he really cares about you, he will want you to trust him, even if he is shocked to hear it at first. You can wait until he shows you a picture of some hot girl, and then have a picture ready of some hot dude, and say you don't have to worry about me hitting on a girl you like because this is where my interests are. However you say it, the message is going to be the same, so do it however you feel more comfortable doing it, and hope he is a good enough friend to support you. If he doesn't, then he wasn't as good a friend as you thought he was, so it is time to move on.

5. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is true, now I'm even more nervous!

UPDATE: Today he actually posted something on facebook saying that a man who is GAY hasn't been to the gym lately and seen beautiful women. That post is making me even more apprehensive about coming out to him, and yet I'm actually wondering if I even care anymore. I'm up to the point where if I lose his friendship over him being homophobic, I'm not sure I'll actually care.

So I was hoping to tell him this week. Should I wait a while longer, or should I simply get it off my chest?

6. Awoken

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's clear it's getting to you. Do it when you're ready, but the longer you wait the harder it'll get. You should get it off your chest now if you're 100% sure you can handle a negative reaction. Hope it goes well for you :slight_smile:

7. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wish me luck! I'm ready!

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck; you sound like you are ready. Don't count him out until you see what his reaction is; he may surprise you and be cool with it, but if he isn't, then you be cool with it and move on.

9. duende84

Okay. Here is the deal. I have been through that so I speak from experience.

You regard him as your BEST friend and usually he also thinks you are his BEST friend. So sharing something personal would not be an issue. If it is then he is not really that great a friend he is supposed to be.

I thought my BEST friend(s) will send me to hell for coming out to them (I was convinced) but they fully accept me. And I feel silly now for thinking they would have shunned me since they have been there for me in the past though some real bad times.

Start off by telling your friend that you appreciate his friendship and then just tell him by means of the following simple sentence: "I have something I want to share with you. I am gay."

All will be well.

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this today and thought it might be relevant.

Attached Files:

11. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In spanish it'll read like this "Tengo algo que compartir contigo, soy gay." It sounds a lot worse. :lol: But maybe you're right, I think I'm overthinking it, perhaps he won't overeact. Let's see how it goes, he still hasn't come to my house so I won't know yet.

---------- Post added 1st Aug 2014 at 08:32 AM ----------

So true! :icon_wink That actually makes me feel better knowing that I'm caring less and less about if he stops being my friend, because of that little issue. I can't wait to tell you how it went!

#11 MassiveExtract, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  12. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright, I did it! I almost had a heart-attack when he called me saying he's coming to my house. I knew that the moment was right. Let's make this story a bit long:

We went to my room, as usual and once he started to talk about girls, I knew that I had to tell him. I simply said "I have to tell you something, really personal." He laughed, probably thought I was going to tell him something about a new project I had planned, but then I told him I was gay - just like that... his face fell to the floor, he appeared to have lost breath and held his eyes with his fingers. He was shocked, but I think that's an understatement. I had never seen him tearful, he was almost about to cry. His father brought him up in such a way, that he thinks crying is for weak people so that says a lot.

So then the questions began, and I think he eventually got it. He said that I've been a friend to him for a long time and I've always respected him, so he appeared to be understanding, especially when I told him I've always been like this, he's always had the view that it's a choice. Also, he knows I've had sex with 5 different girls in the past 8 months, so I had to explain how my penis simply didn't function well and that I had to force myself to enjoy it but was unhappy.

He did make it clear he doesn't like gays, but then I asked him why and he said the way that they are, and then I said "Am I like that?" Obviously I'm not the stereotypical gay he thinks of.

He also mentioned that he doesn't know how he would react to seeing me with a man, but I simply said - "give it time, I know that I'm the one to change your view on homosexuals, it's not what you think." He did mention that he views it as disgusting, once, but I mean... what can I expect? He's homophobic, and yet... after talking to him a long time, he appeared to sympathize to the point where I believe that he stopped caring. I'm guessing he took time to reflect.

He also said the he had a suspicion I was gay for the past 2-3 years, because in his mind gays are intelligent and really formal, and that I am too intelligent, open minded and talk really formally.

Overall, it was better than I had expected and after I told him, he stayed for an extra two hours in my house, talking and doing the same things we've always done. So, perhaps in those two hours he noticed that I am the same person I've always been and nothing is going to change. I think it'll take a long time, but eventually it appears he will truly accept me.

Update: I thought he wouldn't talk to me for a long time, but as soon as he got to his house he talked to me about the Iraq-Palestinian conflict and what I thought about it. So it appears that his shock didn't last a long time.

#12 MassiveExtract, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  13. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment. Glad he took it well. I do find it funny that he thinks gay people are intelligent and open-minded but he's still not very fond of them.

14. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. He was a bit confusing though. First he said they were too loud, then too intelligent, then odd... everything screamed misinformation. At least he got the intelligent and creative part right.

15. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations! One of the biggest ways people overcome homophobia is to get faced with it by having someone close to them (friend or family) come out as gay. It shows them that those they are close to aren't evil in any way and then they'll probably start to support their friend or family in the future (hopefully).

16. calgary

Congrats. The thought of telling my straight male friends the scariest. It's a big step you took today

17. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Video game lover: I agree. I think I'm the one to change his mind, because I truly believe that his lack of exposure to gay people has affected his ignorant mind. He will change, it'll just take time.

Calgary: I'm not afraid of telling my straight friends, since most are pretty tolerant and open people, but my best friend was a whole 'nother story. Thanks a lot for your support!

18. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Congrats!!!!!!!

19. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

20. CongoColorado

This is probably going to end up the way that both you and I want it to end, good.
    If he has been your best friend for a long time, he'd probably support you. However, it could help you a lot if you tell us why he's homophobic. Is it for religious reasons, does he believe homosexuals are going to get AIDS, is it the common "They can't procreate!" excuse?