1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Police chief commends dad who rearranged man's face for sexually abusing his son

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jul 18, 2014.

1. LiquidSwords

Vigilantism ftw! :confused:

Missed this thread first time round and it's too hard to catch up on all of it, but some of the posts I've seen do disappoint me. I think whilst it's possible to understand the father's actions, it's very dangerous to condone, even celebrate, this sort of thing. It is not the job of the victim to exact punishment but the law and that has to be consistent.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sam the man put it best:

Under no circumstances am I suggesting that we should be angry with the father; he was protecting his kid, and his actions were, as I said above, driven by very primitive "fight or flight" brain functions that are hardwired.

And we can be really angry with the perpetrator, find their actions abhorrent, and feel viscerally sick and disturbed over what he's done, feel like he deserves to be punished... and still find compassion for him. But this is only possible if we are willing to realize that, in different circumstances, with different upbringing, life experiences, and the like, the perpetrator and any one of us could have our roles reversed. That's basically what I'm saying.

3. Hexagon

I pretty much agree with Chip here. I'm not exactly going to condemn the father. His response was understandable, and no one is denying the fact that a child was raped here. But neither will I praise him.

As for the perpetrator; compassion and condemnation are not mutually exclusive.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Now that's an ass kicking , from the picture I saw :grin:
    anyone wanna bet after that great ass kicking that he's not gonna do it again , well he's gonna get more in that jail :lol:

5. BelleFromHell

Sorry, I refuse to feel sympathy for someone who rapes a child.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fully agree with Chip. What the mad did was abhorrent, but let the law sort the matter out. I'm by no means in favor of vigilante justice, and am wary of when we take steps towards a vigilante state.

From somebody who actually was sexually abused as a child, I'll have to also admit I'm a bit shocked by some of the posts here. For me, having beaten the perpetrator ( in this case my grandfather) to a pulp would have in no way helped me come to terms emotionally with what happened, or 'even the score'. I can understand the anger, even the sense of rage, but in cases of abuse, I don't think simply having a cheering squad when an abuser is beaten up helps anyone very much.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't suggesting sympathy, I was suggesting compassion. They're completely different.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good point. I think for a lot of people who are sexually abused, dealing with it tends to involve a bit of both of these, as (most) abuse is via a family member/close friend of the family. So that it become much, much more complicated. Not much abuse happens via the stranger in the park, luring you away with candy; it's generally somebody who is well integrated into your family/social circle, and this has a lot of implications in how a person reacts/heals.

#68 HuskyPup, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I once heard that when someone's children are involved, ''Jungle law'' applies. Any loving father who would have walked in and unexpectedly found a man with his pecker up his son's butt, would have beat the living shit and possibly killed the man in a fit of sudden passion, which would have been a natural response.

If however he learned what was happening and hunted the abuser down, I would not condone the action, but I would have still understand it. What do you expect? People lose all sense of their civilian, urban lives when their children's lives or chastity are involved. Trust me, that guy got off likely and I'm finding it really hard to feel sorry for him.

Yes he is a tortured soul. But so is his victim, who IMHO is far more volatile and vulnerable.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2014 at 12:30 AM ----------

Your situation would involve a family member finding out that a child was being abused. They aren't present when it takes place but they learn about it through other means.

This case involves a man caught raping the 11-year old in flagrante delicto, possibly with the latter crying or begging him to stop. Would any father have been able to contain themselves?

Second scenario is definitely more likely to result in rash action and violence.

10. BelleFromHell

I wasn't exactly referring to your comment. Also, if you witnessed someone you love being raped, I think "compassion" would be the last thing on your mind.

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the moment, that's true. The amygdala response would no doubt happen. But after the fact, (as with this discussion), then compassion would (for me) enter into my thought process.

12. edgy

edgy Guest

Agreed

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is raping a 11 year old awful, yes. But justice is for the courts not for civilians. This 18 year old will now live a life of hell. He will spend a long time in prison where he will have the shit kicked out of him and when he gets out he will never be accepted. I'm not saying I feel sorry for the 18 year old but people shouldn't take the law into their own hands.

I think sometimes there is a witch hunt mentality when it comes to paedophiles. Yes it's an awful crime but it must be dealt with in a civil way and we must give them a chance to reform. Like we do for other serious crimes.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taking away the dad's beating of the perp won't make any of that better though. That's the failings of our justice system, meant to be so harsh on criminals that there is almost no chance of true rehabilitation or even productivity while inside.

In a way I'd sort of prefer that he get the shit beaten out of him then be allowed to go free, with careful supervision at least. Without the media publicity he'd be able to live a normal life with the knowledge that his behavior was unacceptable. If he started to do bad things again, then he'd have to go away for a long time, if not forever.

15. maselalala

My opinion is mutual with the police chief I also commend the actions and I could never feel compassion for a man who is capable of raping a little 11 year old boy. If I were in that father's shoes I would do the exact same thing.