1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone done the ice bucket challenge?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, Aug 26, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom thinks it's useless even though their raising money :confused:

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any excuse for not doing it - I just don't want to.

3. timo

Wait. There still are people who don't know what ALS is? :confused:

Oh wow. Definitely donating to an education fund if I get nominated :grin:

4. Caillin

Cant do it theres a drought where I live so yeah.. aslo if I could I would have just donated money to the charity instead but eh thats just me.

5. Candace

Yes, I did it! I did the challenge on Sunday night and it was FREEZING COLD. But I feel better that I did it and donated money to the organization. :slight_smile:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a whole lot of people who don't understand what ALS is. Even if they have heard of it, most people don't get just how devastating it is. Gabor Maté MD, who has studied it, sees a pattern in personality attributes (echoed by most other professionals who work with ALS patients)... that they are overwhelminglyl exceptionally sweet, kind, and giving people who never complain, which makes the disease that much more cruel (and, based on Dr. Maté's work, these emotional attributes may contribute to the severity of the disease).

There's one video I've seen that goes way beyond the others in explaining (and showing on video) exactly what ALS is like, and why it is so terrifying to those who have it. Even if you think you know what ALS is, I suggest taking 5 minutes and watching this video. I'm sure it will increase your awareness.

[youtube]h07OT8p8Oik[/youtube]

7. CosmicNautilus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes... It was bloody horrible XD But for a good cause, and pretty thrilling if you're looking to spice up your day :wink:

8. ALS is more commonly known as Lou Gherig's Disease. So yea, people have heard of it.

Yes I did do the ice bucket challenge.

9. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I donated money because my cousin nominated me and did the actual challenge today for fun (not nominated) because it was hot/I needed to stay awake.

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. LiquidSwords

This basically, though I think it's more like 40mil. Yeah people can donate anytime without the challenge but they don't. People who are involved in the challenge are donating money and cynics get a kick knocking it because it proves they're not ignorant plebs like the rest it's pretty sad

But what about the kids without water in Africa you dummies like fuck you actually give money to those charities

Don't start me on the animal testing thing, like yeah fuck all those people with the disease for the sake of some mice really

12. iGustavoLeon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not agree with waste water, other need it. If you want donate only donate.

13. AAASAS

As someone not in the loop because I'm not a sheep I had no idea what this was till I read this post. So stupid.

It's for attention, not for ALS, people do it so they can be "cool" or show others and pretend their lives are interesting.

Just donate to disease research, don't post a video of you online so everyone can watch it and give you attention.

I don't mind attention whores, but I hate it when the general population jumps in.

14. sammy1

Millions of dollars have been raised by 'attention whores' doing the ice bucket challenge it's just a fun way to cool off and raise money. Don't make such a big deal

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it yesterday just for the hell of it and donated to the ALS foundation.

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2014 at 03:34 PM ----------

For those who say you're an attention whore for doing the video with it, that's incredibly cynical and really, it's just good clean fun for a good cause.

16. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was nominated.
    Donated.

WHERE'S MY FREAKING BUCKET?!

As for the video, I thought it was part of the rules, no?

17. One Man Army

I'm happy to just donate some money to the Motor Neurone Foundation (the ALS charity here in the UK.) Sure, I'd dump dry leaves or liquid shit all over my body if it was for a good cause, but I can't be arsed with all that shit.

18. Hexagon

No, and I don't plan to. I'm perfectly capable of donating to charity without a bucket of ice water being poured over my head. Or I would be, if I had any money.

19. NatWheeled

Well, I did the challenge n donated $100. For those who think its for attention, you're just jealous cause you've not been nominated. For those who claim its a waste of water...how long are your showers? Do you have a garden? A hot tub? Wash your car? Take baths? Better yet, how many bottles of your tap water have you sent to Africa, or California?

20. Yuri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The purpose of "wasting" the water is to raise awareness as many people said AND to give you a few seconds of a fraction of the feeling actual ALS patients endure. At the later stages of the diseases they're unable to move anything. Ice water gives a feeling of paralysis for at least a second.

I did the challenge and it physically pained me. The water hurt and I was unable to move for about 5 seconds then shivered for about 10 minutes until I changed clothes. I also donated to the organization and posted my video.

I don't think it's fair for so many to say the challenge is worthless and to dismiss one disease or charity because there are others out there. Lots of people need help. Donate to who you want but never downgrade another because of your person feelings. It's a very ugly thing to do.