1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why all religions forbid homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Litveninko, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Litveninko

I find it really weird, that all religons ban homosexuality, when they were born this way, and they can't help it. I heard also strong opinions about it, some say : its just a temptation, and the devil mislead them.
    What do you guys think?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most religions aren't new. The main goal of life way back then was to reproduce so humans wouldn't die out. Anything that wasn't helping that goal out would be frowned upon.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first of all, they don't. Most certainly not all forbid it.

Second, I've never believed that anyone is arguing out of genuine religious conviction; it almost always is preservation of cultural norms, particularly sexist ones. Same-sex marriage and homosexuality itself challenge a strict gender-divided society and also challenge the illusion many have of a neat gender binary where behaviours are all the same. Sure, the window-dressing of religious virtue is thrown in, but it's an easy excuse for the underlying reasons for which they oppose our existence as a community.

I don't buy the idea that it was based off desperate needs to increase the birth rate. I've never seen any claim of that cite a source, even a secondary one.

4. Holly82

Also, sex leads to euphoric sensations and feelings. If you are trying to control human beings, make sure they never figure out they can make themselves happy. Happiness comes from God or the State, citizen!

Sex is a base human desire way down in the amygdala and beyond. Religion is a cerebrum pre-beta monkey brain testing thing that is trying to override the brain stem.

Not gonna happen.

5. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually, not all religions forbid homosexuality. The gods and goddesses of the ancient Greeks and Romans, for example, often indulged homosexual or lesbian urges. The Buddha, for his part, never spoke against gay or lesbian sexual orientation. I've never seen us condemned in Taoism, either. Really, we get the impression that most religions are homophobic, mostly because the supposed proponents of the Abrahamic faiths are the ones making the most noise about it. They kind of make so much noise, that they manage to drown out the more reasonable voices even amongst themselves, what to speak of other religions.

#5 Damien, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My guess is that homophobia is the devil.
    [YOUTUBE]sV9AQ4ncuac[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 11:41 PM ----------

Yeah, but to be fair not even every Abrahamic faith condemns it. Reformed Judaism, Unitarianism, and Episcopalianism come to mind.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

idk life was weird once, i mean it still is but god damn we really werent supposed to eat or touch or wear or do a lot of things like i am reading some old testament and it its like god dang what the heck was even going on that they come with all these rules for

like what the HECK was even going on that this sounded poetic and good to make note of holy shit

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religions tend to condemn anything that goes against the norm since religions often function to offer a code of conduct for people to live by. It's uncommon among the world's cultures for homosexuality to be viewed as normal, therefore it is condemned by the religion and its code of conduct.

9. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, well I did say there were 'voices of reason within their own faiths'...that's kind of what I meant by that, sorry if I was unclear. :slight_smile:

#9 Damien, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homosexuality was often seen as an excess of lust. It was commonly believed because sex from women was "easier" to obtain some men would lust after other men for the "challenge".

I'm not sure sexuality applies to the laws of supply and demand....?

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many religious books were written by man and not by god so some times they put there own interpretation on.things and not what gods message really is.

12. Litveninko

I know about that, but in Islam, there's a verse says that there were gay men in a town near Roman like ages ago, and god destroyed that countery completly. And I don't this is by men.

13. CongoColorado

Lots of religions don't forbid homosexuality, the Roman and Greek Gods didn't as far as I know, Guatama Buddha never spoke of us, and all that hippity hoppity. Most homophobia comes from the 3 Abrahamic religions, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. The main goal back then was to repopulate and have children. Hundreds and thousands of years ago, people weren't as smart as Humans are today too. I honestly think that if it weren't for religion, us Humans would be years ahead when it comes to technology and science, but that's just me.

14. Hexagon

They don't. Just the abrahamic ones. There are plenty that don't.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2014 at 10:50 AM ----------

There is no evidence of that ever having happened.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I know not all religions forbid or have any opposition to homosexuality.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2014 at 12:26 PM ----------

AFAWK all religious books have been written by ma/en.

16. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Islam supports the lgbtq

dude it's not about gay men ,it's about rapists,murder,stealing ,prostiution

17. robotman

To be honest in my eyes, religions act as a means of control... Its just a way to control people from doing things.

18. AAASAS

I think you are confusing the multiple sects of Christianity as different religions when it's all the same crap.

I'd say MOST religions DON'T forbid homosexuality.

Islamd, Judaism, and Christianity are one of the only ones that actively seek out to destroy the gay community.

19. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

saddqm and condom city??!

20. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None of the major world religions forbid homosexuality, as they all pre-date homosexuality.

The word 'homosexuality' is a modern term (first used in the 19th century) - it didn't exist in Biblical or Quranical times. The writers of The Bible and Quran had no concept of sexual orientation or sexual development as we understand these today. Therefore passages from scripture that reference same sex activity must be read in context, through the lens of history.

It's entirely false and misleading to say that any major religion forbids or condemns homosexuality. How is it possible to forbid something that didn't exist as a concept until circa 1850?