1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are non-white gay men "less attractive"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Sep 1, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Is it just me, or are non-white gay bpmen viewed as less attractive? I feel like I'm not as attractive to other gay men because of my darker skin color. That's not to say that our society is explicitly racist, prejudice, etc., but it just seems like white/light skin is a HUGE preference for a lot of people.

2. the haunted

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think beauty (and handsomeness) comes in a wide range of colors.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For my part, no.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For gay culture generally, yes. Things revolve around white people.

Efforts to point out that this is a problem are always drowned in extreme hostility.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

Personally I don't think so, but I have seen stuff like that in the larger community

6. Gen

Gen

You are absolutely not alone in that. Without exception, every single non-white racial group displays a strong sense of glorification towards the lighter skinned members of their group. It is a sad truth and it is far to ingrained in our society to be eradicated within our lifetimes, but it will gradually fade as the future generations become more and more multiracial, fortunately.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll admit I prefer fair skin on guys, but there have been plenty of cases where I think a guy of another race is really attractive. It shouldn't be a hindrance to you. :slight_smile:

8. cuppycake

For me, skin color doesn't matter and I don't understand why some people make such a big deal out of it. I can fall in love with dark-skinned girls just as easily as I can with fair-skinned girls, and I have dark-skinned male friends who are one of the kindest people I know, plus they are all very handsome. Every person can be attractive, and the skin color should never play a role in beauty.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is your picture, right? :icon_bigg

Any decent gay man should be able to see past the colour of your skin and recognise that you are a good looking guy.. and if they can't, you know what that means? They are not decent (putting it mildly) and you are not missing out.

10. sugarcubeigloo

Oh my god! No! I haven't met an ethnicity that wasn't beautiful. Which is why I'm always so confused as to why guys are so dismissive of people of other races.

#10 sugarcubeigloo, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so, but it completely depends on the person. If the person is beautiful, he'll still get looks regardless of skin color. I'll give you an example. I used to be a model here, despite of course my skin color. I still have the looks, and although I'm dark skinned and you can't probably notice me as much in clubs I still get a lot of attention. Hell, just this weekend the bouncer, and the dj and were hitting on me, alongside, surprisingly, a lot of white Americans. And I'm talking about a really conservative gay club, I mean people barely look at one another.

However, I've always said that it's how you perceive yourself. I remember three weeks ago when I went to that same club I wore a really casual outfit, usually I go formal - like an executive, but this time I wanted to look a bit more open so that people don't tell me what they usually do "Oh, you're gay? I didn't notice." So, I went with these clothes that I thought made me look ugly, and when I noticed that no one was looking at me, I put this image through my head "Wow, it must be because I'm black or something." It was bad night, and yet, that was my perception and indeed that night I lacked confidence. But what if you do become confident? Things change and trust me people notice.

I will tell you this, clothing does factor into things. I've noticed that black gays that come from the U.S (I'm Hispanic) don't get noticed at all. There are several factors, in my case I prefer black guys, but I'm not attracted to ones that look hip-hopish, you know what I mean? Perhaps that weighs in a lot.

Case and point, perhaps if I had lighter skin I'd get even more attention. But then, I wouldn't look like I do now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: However, I also think that confidence and just looking great gets you past the boundary. If you look good, you look good. I don't know, maybe I'm not in the U.S, but you'd be surprised that people here don't care about skin color as much as I've heard in other countries, if the person is attractive, they'll tap it.

#11 MassiveExtract, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  12. TeePee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm black and live in a predominantly black country. And yes most people here equate fairer skin to beauty. Personally i do wish to date someone of a different race (God let him be brazilian ...lol) but looks-wise i find black men the most good looking

13. confuseduser99

Haha! That is me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. AKTodd

I certainly don't view them as less attractive. Actually, because I like hairy guys, and a lot of guys of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Indian, and Central/South American heritage are hairy...I'm probably more likely to find non-white guys attractive as part of 'the package' that includes a lot of body hair.

I was also in a three year relationship with a Panamanian guy, and he had moderately dark skin.

That all said, when I first moved to Virginia, I went through about a 6 mo period where it was like my libido just sort of 'tuned out' the black guys living here. It wasn't a matter of not finding them attractive, more like they just didn't register. Then one day, it was like a switch flipped and I was noticing all these hot black men running around:slight_smile: Although, hairy chests (etc.) are still a major draw for me, and most black guys are on the smooth side, if I were single, I'd never even think of turning down (or not checking out) a guy just based on skin color.

Todd

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have heard from a few non white gay men, that that seems to be the case but I'm not sure.
    But from straight non white males seem to be doing great.

16. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion, race, skin color, nationality, and stuff like that doesn't matter. If it matters to other people, then those people aren't worth your time. Honestly, it doesn't make any sense for any LGBT+ member to be racist. Our flag is rainbow, which is a combination of many colors, so being racist and LGBT+ just seems ironic to me. I have no doubt that there are racist LGBT+ members, but there is both intelligent and idiot members of every group. I'm white, but I wouldn't care if I was with a guy of any race, skin color, or nationality. Love is love, and a hot and cute guy is a hot and cute guy, regardless of skin color and so on. I don't know if this is a huge problem with other LGBT+ members, but I am just as likely to date someone of any race, skin color, and nationality, as I am to date some one who's white.

17. Bolin

We aren't less attractive by any means, but it does seem like fair skin and white people are the standard of beauty. Not just in the LGBT+ community but in many, if not most, parts of the world as well. Unfortunately, I often feel that one of the many reasons why someone would prefer not to date me is because of my skin color. I feel unattractive because of my skin color despite the fact that I'm strongly attracted to men with the same skin color as I have... And then there's the subtle and not-so-subtle hints on dating sites or elsewhere online from many people that suggest that they wouldn't give a second thought about not dating someone who wasn't white and/or 'white passing.' It's sad, really.

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably - but it isn't just skin colour. Anyone with blonde hair (and blue eyes as well) should go to somewhere like North Africa or South/East Asia - people will look at you as if you're an exotic animal.

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know about you, but I've always preferred my men (and women) with a bit of melanin on them. It would make sense that white men would prefer their own, if that's all they've ever known, especially when you combine it with the whole social+media bias.

Hey, their loss! More for the rest of us. :slight_smile:

20. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think it should matter at all