1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handedness and sexuality! Are you a leftie?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blueberrykisses, Sep 2, 2014.

1. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I randomly came across an article about ambidexterity (mixed-handedness), I've never heard about that before. And then I had this epiphany that handedness sounds an awful lot like Sexuality.

Right handed people = vast majority: 90+% of population
    Left handed people = minority: less than 10% of population
    Ambidextrous people = less than 5% of population

It's like hetero-homo-bisexuality! The majority are one way, and the minority are another way and then another part of the minority is both ways!

It doesn't stop there. Sexuality is a continuum ranging from exclusive heterosexuality to exclusive homosexuality. This is the same with handedness - We use different hands for different tasks, scientists have measured this with people doing 12 different tasks, and no one is a 100% right or left handed, there is only dominance!

This got me thinking that there has to be a correlation between how handedness and sexuality develop because the concepts are so similar.

And I looked it up online and it's actually a scientific fact that gays are more likely to be left handed.

Comparison Chart: Sexual Orientation vs. Handedness - Born Gay? - ProCon.org

Handedness and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course there are also people with left-right-both brain dominancy which is also similar to handedness and sexuality, there seems to be duality in everything but handedness and sexuality are both 'physical manifestations' if you know what I mean. But there is a correlation between brain dominance are sexuality - gay men tend to have right brain dominance which is not only a scientific fact, but pretty obvious even if you know nothing about science, I mean there's a reason for the disproportionate amount of feminine gay men and queer fashion designers, playwrights, actors, musicians, artists....right brain dominance while straight men are left brain dominated. Lesbians are more likely to have left brain dominance than straight women.

What we can take away from this is that people are never one way or the other, in any respect. There isn't really such a thing as true heterosexuality/homosexuality or right handedness/left handedness, there really is only dominance or in some cases, an equal balance of both in everyone.

All of this is really logical and the only difference between homosexuality and everything else that works in the same way as homosexuality, is that being a homosexual is seen as 'abnormal' by the majority while everything else is considered normal! :eusa_doh:

All of this is so fascinating and I long for the day when telling someone you're gay will be equal to telling someone you're left handed or left footed or whatever (OK, I'm actually left footed and people think I'm an alien for it). I mean people still think we choose to be this way or we 'become' this way somehow and it's just outrageous.

Now I'm really curious whether bisexuals are more likely to be ambidextrous but I haven' found any info on that. :eek:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It looks like the studies on sinistrality and minority sexual orientation are inconclusive.

I enjoy my sinistrality, but I don't think it has much to do with my wanting to bang a chick and a dude at the same time. :lol:

3. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    my mom's left handed and my dad's ambidextrous and i'm right handed... they're straight, i'm gay. welp.

4. wanderinggirl

Lefty here!

The only reason there's any correlation is because epigenetic variation causes lefthandedness, schizophrenia, autism, homosexuality, trans*ness, etc. All these things are correlated with increased age of the mother, among other factors. But then I know a lefty autistic transwoman who's mom was 22 when she had her, so there are clearly other influencing factors.

Still, I think it's pretty neat!

5. Candace

I'm right handed, but my dad is left handed. :/

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm a right handed straight trans guy with suspected asperger's syndrome. I've heard about trans people being more likely to be left handed but I don't know if there's any truth in it.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Righty here.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right handed. My mother and brother are left-handed (and straight), and my father is "mixed handed" (and straight).

Lex

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both parents and all brothers right-handed including me, although I write really different. Can't hold a pen the normal way and am (as far as I know) the only one bisexual. I know someone else who hold a pen just like me, and he's gay.

10. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both parents and all brothers right-handed including me, although I write really different. Can't hold a pen the normal way and am (as far as I know) the only one bisexual. I know someone else who holds a pen just like me, and he's gay.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Righty (!)

12. Acm

Acm Guest

Right handed

13. AlamoCity

I am right-handed. So are my parents and sister.

I'm gay. My parents and sisters are, I presume, straight.

14. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm bisexual and right-handed. Everyone in my family is right handed but my older brother who's straight.

15. Stripe101

I be the only left handed scallywagger for generations of pirate ancestry.

16. Wooly

Right handed and bi here. That's so interesting though.

17. PICollins91

18. the haunted

Right handed :eusa_hand

19. TraceElement

20. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Lefty and I mostly like girls.