1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hormones

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Logan0001, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I'm not sure if this should go in the health part, but I'm just putting it here. I had blood work done and I have high testosterone. If I go on estrogen for birth control to stop having periods will that make me more feminine? I don't want to be a girl, and I don't want to have periods. What were your experiences on birth control?

2. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    it wont make you more feminin it will just kill the eggs inside of you so you wont be able to have kids.

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Estrogen definitely feminizes you, and I heard from other trans guys that estrogen-containing birth control slightly feminizes you as well. It may make your face appear slightly more girly.

I'd never go on that. But yet again, despite being quite a sexual person, I would not want vaginal sex, so I'd have no need.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Also, estrogen DEFINITELY doesn't stop your period. It causes it. Testosterone stops your period

5. Logan0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not going on hormones because I need birth control, I was going on them originally to stop my periods, and I recently found out I have high T levels so the doctor wants to put me on birth control to get the T down to normal.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I'm confused on what you mean by "hormones". Estrogen or testosterone?

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might have a look at this:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/birth-control/in-depth/birth-control-pill/art-20045136

Aren't the T levels preferable if you want to be more maskuline ?
    Would it help your disphoria if you knew that you have high T levels but sometimes periods ?

The transgender spectrum goes i.e. from people living with almost androgynous appearance, to styling more like the preferred gender, to taking hormones, to srs.
    If on hrt, due to testosterone there is as far as I know also no period.
    Of course the list is not all possible options.
    It's up to you to collect further information...
    You might also for example talk to a gender therapist or someone from an lgbt center, if that's what you want.

I would do things I'm comfortable with, don't feel pressured to do something... its your decision...
    There is no only one right way to do this.
    Its your choice what you want to do...

There are different birth control pills, some contain anti androgens, for example.
    If I would consider this, I would talk to a doctor about this, that you want to avoid periods while also avoiding as much feminization as is possible (there might be some feminization, but this has to be answered by a doctor).