1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you discover you've been bi all along? Or maybe even a lesbian?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ishtar, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Ishtar

I don't know exactly where to begin. I have been kind of trying to figure this out on my own, but the more I read or watch on TV or online, the more I question my feelings/attractions and I am befuddled. I guess I keep expecting to fit into a pigeon hole, & when I find I don't it freaks me out.

A bit of background. I am a woman in my late 30s, & I was once married to a man for 11.5 years. I've been divorced for about 6+ years now, & the marriage ending had nothing to do with sexual orientation. I grew up in a very religious home, where it's always been believed that anything but love between and man and woman is a sin. I've since shed my faith.

Over the past year, I finally admitted to myself that I'm largely attracted to women. Yes, I am attracted to men too, but more often than not it's women. I don't quite know why that is. Is it due to how both genders present themselves in my small epicentre? Or is it more about me and my preferences?

Looking back, I can see there were signs, but I always thought every woman looked at the female ice skaters over the male skaters due to their more revealing outfits, the seemingly more flashy stunts, & them being more attractive. Even looking at another woman in day to day life or in a locker room, I always figured it was common for a woman to look at other women's curves, etc. I never thought anything of my attraction to pin-up girls. I thought it was female empowerment of a kind. I always felt kind of odd when I realized that most of my friends in high school had posters of guys on their walls or were obsessed with Harlequin romance novels with the shirtless men on the front. My walls were plasteredwith pics of kittens. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When I read a scene between two women in a book, last year, I became extremely turned on. I wanted to be one of those women. I relived the scene over and over. I began to think it was just a whim or a one off thing. But the more I tore away preconceived ideas of what I "should" feel, the more I realized how much I actually looked at and appreciated women.

In high school, I was repeatedly "accused" of being gay. I laughed it off for years. More recently, about 7 years ago a distant relative "accused" me of being a lesbian, & she is convinced to this day that I'm firmly in the closet. Again, I laughed it off. But now, I wonder if people around me knew more about me than I allowed myself to know or understand. Being gay was always such an evil thing. When I finally left my childhood faith behind, I started to blossom in so many ways. I started realizing that I find both genders attractive for different reasons.

I guess what I'm getting at is... Could I have simply been repressing these feelings? Or did they suddenly surface on their own? Is it possible to come to this realization later in life?

I don't believe this is a choice. It's not like I woke up as a young girl & said I'm heterosexual. Nor did I wake up last year saying now I'm bi. But there are so many opinions out there of what it 'truly means' to be *insert label*. I guess what I'm hoping for is... as silly as this sounds, permission, in a sense, to just be me and to follow my heart in love whether that means into the bed of a man or woman.

Being new to this and attempting to label myself, which I'm not really sure I want to do (I just want to be free to love who I want to love.), I'm coming to understand that many don't believe in being bisexual or will give bisexuals a bad rap. That the person is really straight or gay & just hasn't come to terms with it, yet. It almost sounds like it's harder for bisexuals to come out than to come out as gay. Is there any validity to that thinking? I had no idea this could even be true.

If I do decide to come out at some point down the line, well, what should I expect? I suppose I can go looking for that info.

I haven't even told my very devout parents, that I'm an atheist most days and agnostic every so often. It will break their hearts and they'll endeavour to convert me back. So, telling them this?! I can't see it happening. I'm completely open with my brother, but I don't know how he would respond to this one hidden part of me. I know he fully accepts a cousin who is out. But to accept his sister who was previously married to a man? Maybe coming out bi would be easier for him to grasp?

Am I alone in my general confusion? :icon_redf I almost wish there was a handbook for this part of life. LOL Almost. :wink: But it wouldn't do this part of life justice. We are all too unique and different.

2. Clearvision

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Imo yes. I dudnt become conciously aware until i was 18 but in hindsigt it was obvious at many points from the age of eleven.

3. Penpal

I have only accepted my sexuality in the last few years. I was married for 11 and with him for 19. I have always been confused with being attracted to both men and women but I think now I'm bisexual. Although when i fall for a woman it is with very strong feelings. It is hard because I'm not sure where I belong. I haven't had a relationship with a woman but I feel that if I'm going to have another relationship it will be with a woman. Sorry I haven't got much time at the moment as I need to get to work but feel free to chat to me. I will check the site tonight. Oh and I give you permission to be with whoever you want to be with ;-) x

4. Blossom85

I don't believe there is an age limit on when it is acceptable to discover your true self, there is no right or wrong and no where that says you have to know early on. Whatever age you come out as or discover your true sexuality at is the right age for you.. It might mean you weren't ready to accept it or just perceived yourself as straight as that is the perceived normality in society till that point in your life and there is nothing wrong with that.

5. Ishtar

I was actually dreading coming back to the site to see any replies. I know that EC is supposed to be a safe and welcoming environment, but I've read that many times before on other types of forums. So, I'm greatly relieved by your encouraging words and understanding.

Very few know where I'm at, but they're straight. So, trying to muddle my way through on my own & trying to take cues from TV, the media, etc... I guess it's easy to get lost in others' ideas of what they perceive to be right or true. One friend doesn't believe you can come to a new or greater clarity later in life. She'd never believe me, if I said anything. I think I just need to shake off the desire to focus on what everyone else thinks and focus on where I'M at. It's MY sexuality, after all. And no one has any right to tell me who I'm attracted to or who to love.

Thank you!

6. jnr183

Ishtar, I am still work through this process at a snail's pace so I don't have great advice to offer to you. Basically I can tell you that you are not alone and that heterosexuality being the default sexuality can do confusing things to people. Most importantly, this website is phenomenally helpful.... I hope you will stick around and keep up posted on your progress!

7. shy75

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You are definitely not alone in your confusion! I am 38 and have been married for 13 years and have really started questioning my orientation this past year. I can identify with some parts of your story. I too was "accused" of being a lesbian in high school. I've read lesbian erotica and sexually fantasize about women exclusively for years. It wasn't until I read a lesbian romance novel that wasn't just about sex and it had an actual developed relationship between two women that I started thinking that maybe it wasn't such a leap to think that if I find women sexually attractive that I could have a romantic relationship with a woman. Somebody might read this and being thinking "well duh" but I have never felt romantic love towards a woman so it never really occurred to me that I could be bisexual or a lesbian. I guess I've had what you could call crushes on women but it was again more about a sexual attraction. There's currently a woman in my office that I really don't even like but I can't stop thinking about kissing her and thinking about how I could get her alone. So yeah, lesbian, bisexual, another name for this?
    If you grew up in a religious home or around homophobic people, I think you can definitely repress your authentic self. My parents weren't really religious but definitely homophobic. I think that maybe why I always drew that distinction of well I may be sexually attracted but not romantically so therefore I am not gay.
    I wish I could offer you more insight but I am still trying to figure it out myself!

8. DancingGirl

Welcome to EC. This site is wonderful. I want anyone who is questioning to know they are not alone. For those out who have been married and are currently married. And maybe facing a crush situation the is a thread in the sexual and romantic orientation section you may find helpful. It is quite lengthy. But everyone there is older and is facing the questions of coming out later and some are still married. I wish you all the best of luck. I am here to chat if you want.

9. Ishtar

Wow. So much of this really resonates with me. I've been doing the same things. Fantasizing, being physically and sexually attracted to women (Even women whose personality repulses me! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ), but I haven't had romantic feelings yet for a woman. But oddly enough...

I recently started watching Orange is the New Black. I watched an episode today from season 1 that had Piper sitting on Alex's bed and they were talking. It wasn't until I saw that connection between them, when Alex reached over and not only took Piper 's hand but kinda... well, it was an intimate hand holding that was so much deeper than the physical. I just sat there thinking, "wow, that's amazing. I want that."

We women are pretty awesome. The relationships we have platonic and romantic. I don't know how to explain it, but we women are pretty special. (Not to say men aren't, too!! I think I'm just revelling in a moment of greater appreciation for myself and my gender.)

Looking back, maybe it's why my marriage sexually speaking was pretty sucky. Mind you we were both virgins on our wedding night, but even years later we just never clicked or something. Maybe it wasn't me being an "Ice Queen," but really just not being sexually attracted to him. I always wondered why it was such a chore for me & why I didn't enjoy this supposedly amazing experience. I took on such guilt from his comments even years after we split, but I've since found my inner sex kitten. LOL :icon_wink :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2014 at 02:29 AM ----------

Thank you for the rec!

10. FortunateSally

I had a lot of the same signs as you Ishtar but also brushed it off as normal. I've been married five years and we are currently sexless and discussing seperation. I still haven't mentioned there may be other aspects to the situation other than the marriage not quite working. There are more of us coming out way past college than you think.

11. Ishtar

I'm so relieved to hear that. So often I've heard so many various opinions, saying it can't happen or it's just a phase since it's so late in life, etc., etc. But I think our sexuality is not black or white. We are all individuals with various upbringings and life experiences.

I wish I had come here sooner. I had no idea how not alone I am in what I'm experiencing. It's very freeing. I'm no longer worried that I have to fit into a certain mold & if I don't then my feelings and attractions aren't valid.

It's really amazing to me how things are changing in our culture seemingly so quickly. More and more people are coming out and being lauded for it. For being their authentic selves. Not only that, but after having come out those same persons feel that their lives improved exponentially by doing so. I hope one day to join them, to come fully out. In the meantime, I'm just going to take this one step at a time.

I wish you luck in sorting things out with your marriage. It can't be easy, I'm sure.

12. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Ishtar (and everyone),
    Oooh, Yeah, I belong in this boat! I'm older than you, have been married three times. First one I did everything a "good girl" should and I was so miserable I drank my way through it. 2nd one was more "my type" sweet man, but not really right for me, but it gave me time to get myself aware…then I got really crazy and met some musician dude, and got pregnant (had a miscarriage)…and finally stood on my own two feet!
    It wasn't until I met this husband, and he said he was polyamorous that things REALLY changed for me. I knew in order to be incorporated into his world I had to open my mind and grow-and I did-I was really proud of that. He and I have been together 10 years, the last two sexless. I think he thought being poly and then having a wife was the end of his never getting sex but well…
    I pretty much consistently got more sex out of the "poly" thing than he did-I had one tryst with a woman (that was really awkward and awful) and then fell for another one who broke my heart-even spent some time away from my hubby but now we are pretty darn solid.
    I'm getting menopausal now and it's just that the more I move in that direction, the more I want women, not men. I really want women FRIENDS and the option for lovers…but alas we live in a rural area…
    But yes the older I get, the more I want women-the more honest I am that it's always been there (I am not a "girly girl")…so, I just want to be honest about who I am and learn from others, and listen…
    And yeah, the media about makes it worse-I've been watching "The L Word"…which is making me REALLY want to go pursue dating…LOL
    I'm really glad to find other women in this boat!

13. Ishtar

I admire you, Nara, for stretching and changing so much. I have wondered about polyamorous relationships, but I think I've found I'm a one partner girl. LOL Though, I am intrigued by those who aren't.

I think you touched on something that's quite common, too. Being older, we don't seem to have the same opportunities to meet someone as we did when we were younger and in school or college/university. I can't work due to health issues, so meeting someone at work isn't an option. Not to mention, living in a rural area or smaller community doesn't make it any easier, either, as you mentioned. I wish I knew an answer apart from attempting online dating. I've tried that numerous times over the years, & I've determined it's not for me. It's too easy for people to be deceitful online.

I think you are well on your way to finding your true authentic self. I think that's pretty cool, too. Not everyone is brave enough to step out of the conformist ideas that society says we should fit into.

LOL I haven't watched "The L Word" as yet, but mostly because I've heard negative comments such as it not being realistic, etc. I know very little about it, though, so I can't really comment.

14. bi2me

Welcome, Ishtar! You may also want to check out this thread. (Hopefully I linked that correctly!) It has a lot of stories from other people who are going through similar situations to yours.
    Good luck on your journey. :slight_smile:

15. Nara563

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the compliment Ishtar.
    Ditto the on-line thing too, oh I've had some awful experiences. Mostly I think people think they can hide themselves (not sure how when you meet them and their 20 years older and 50lbs heavier!) and they want their perfect dream girl or guy, which is ridiculous. It's not mail order and no one is perfect. And then there's just the creepers online. I learned really quickly to say I'm Lesbian because if I say I'm Bi I'll just get some dude wanting me to get frisky with him and his wife :/ Blech.
    The one thing I learned is to do what you love and meet people that way. Unfortunately, I had half-a chance where i used to live but I'm MORE rural now…
    I have no clue if the L Word is realistic…probably not. Except maybe in LA where everyone is pretty and skinny.

16. ERA

ERA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ishtar, your post reminded me a bit of that Ru Paul movie, "But I'm a Cheerleader" :slight_smile:
    And there is nothing wrong with being bi but being more attracted to one gender than the other. I'd say that my attraction is split 70/30 liking women primarily.

17. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Not really the same thing, but kind of. I'm 32 and, last year about this time, I began questioning my sexuality. Thinking I was bi, I told my wife of (then) 7years. Here's why; I had been seeing a psychologist after being diagnosed bipolar. I described to him something my wife told me and found it was a mild manic/psychotic episode (this only means you've lost touch with reality, but that you're some sort of homicidal maniac!).

He told me that most of these episodes have some basis in reality and, since I was talking of leaving my wife and son for a gay district in another city, he asked if I was maybe bisexual. I answered a staunch "no!"

The idea sat there and, a couple months later, I'd been looking at things about the LGBTQ community. Gay, nor bisexual, really seemed to fit at all, but I began looking at stories of transgender people. MTF in particular. Thinking in the gender binary terms, looking back at my childhood and how my parents treated me, this all struck a chord and, suddenly (at 31) I was questioning my gender! Of all things!

Long story short, my wife and I faced divorce, she came to understand me (as much as any cis-het woman can!) and that and that I'm a lesbian, just with my body type. And, if I hadn't been born with this body, we wouldn't have our 4 fabulous children and 8 years of our lives spent as one!

Questioning can never come too late. Searching for the answer can. Follow your heart!

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Ishtar, welcome to EC.

i'd like to weigh in if i can because your path seems similar to my own. im 47 and split from my wife in june of last year for other than LGBT issues and now we're going through the divorce after over 20 years together, and im a single parent of a teenage son who lives with me. i came out to myself this past spring and my therapist shortly after. she put me in touch with some new friends in the local LGBT community and i've been slowly coming out of my closet and my shell. just waiting for the divorce to get signed and delivered before i come out to my son and move into the open world as a Bi man. like you i've struggled with religion and conservative upbringing, and was seeking "permission" but i realized i am more than my upbringing and i the only one who i need permission from is me. as for religion, i came to the conclusion a long time ago that the Bible doesn't speak against LGBT people or actions, it only points us to love, love of God and love of each other. i read an article called "a letter to louise" on the PFLAG website and it made it all crystalize for me on the religion front.

you asked if you had been repressing your feeling or if they can come up on their own? i don't know the answer to that one as it is within you to answer. but for me, i now know that i there were feelings and signs from young age, teenage, that they were there but for personal safety and to "conform" to the world i grew up in i stuffed them way down deep and constructed automated defenses to keep them down, like when my wife pointed out a good looking man on TV and i would look in the direction of the TV but not really look at it and say, "meh, he does nothing for me" to laugh it off. looking at the same guy now i get that feeling down deep and WOW.:icon_wink

so my advise, after all that? be yourself, enjoy the ride and remember that while you may have a preference for one gender over another it can be fluid and it will, most likely change to some degree over time and then swing back.

keep us posted as to your journey and keep reading here, lots of great advise.(&&&)

19. Ishtar

Thanks, everyone for your feedback, input, & shared life experiences. I'm definitely going to continue to poke around on EC.

I've had a rough week, unrelated to any of this. So, I've been hibernating and avoiding the social side of the Internet.

I think I'm finding, like some of you have mentioned, that I am leaning more toward my attraction to women than men. Sexually it seems to be all about women. The intimate connection seems to be all about women. But there's part of me that wants that sense of feeling safe and someone being in my corner, to protect me if needed. Being wrapped up in big, burly arms. I feel like I'd find that more typically in a male relationship than a female. So, it's a weird place to be, mentally. I wonder how much any of these feelings or desires are based on my negative past relationships (with men).

I think I need to stop camping out in my head trying to find or sort out answers, & just follow my heart. It will lead me true... hopefully. :slight_smile:

20. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely you can, although i am quite certain I am not a lesbian. :wink: