1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will have to get 4 wisdom teeth removed x.x help im scared

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Im scared of the removal!, how much does it hurts?
    How much the cost vary?

2. Skov

The level of pain depends on if they are impacted (coming in sideways) and how you take care of them after surgery. Mine were pretty much all in normally, so they weren't that bad. Just remember to be gentle, and make sure you don't use a straw

3. Jwis

Mine were impacted, and I had 6 of them (I'm a freak I know! :lol:slight_smile:. Even then it wasn't to bad. There was a few seconds of pain, but after that it was just pretty sore for a good week.

Just make sure you follow the post care instructions! Salt rinses, mouthwash... whatever they tell you. You don't want it to get infected. It will also heal faster if you take care of it.

Best of luck! (*hug*)

4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been there, done that. Had a general anesthetic, so there was no pain during whatsoever.

Enjoy the good drugs afterwards...that was the best part, lol (for me it was codeine). I do remember that eating was difficult for the first day or two afterward. My sister was lovely and made me a grilled cheese sandwich...and I couldn't eat it.

5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol that's about the only thing I remember about getting my wisdom teeth out. I had braces and had been in to the dentist many times without ever complaining about pain. When I had my wisdom teeth out, they hooked men up the gas and gave me a pill. 30-45 minutes later they came in and started poking around. I yulped a bit, so they gave me another. 30-45 minutes later they poked and yulped so they gave me a third pill (different type). By the time they returned I was so high that I don't even remember them pulling/cutting my teeth out. I do remember trying to leave and missing the door by 3-4 feet on my way out (complete faceplant on the wall) and laughing. They gave me a prescription for some pain pills. I pretty much crashed out in my room high on pills (my parents made sure I took them) staring at my plasma ball for the next week.

Yea, the dentist is able to prescribe the GOOD DRUGS and isn't afraid to do so.

6. WallWeed

Have they grown in yet or are they still below the surface? That will make a huge difference.

Mine were grown all the way in so it took them literally 20 minutes to numb me up and less than a minute to pull them. I never felt an ounce of pain, and I was completely off pain meds by the next morning (but that's a bit of a rare case).

Just be super careful after they're pulled. No straws, no swishing, and NO SPITTING. It's tempting to spit especially when you're bleeding, but spitting will cause the blood clots to dislodge and that'll give you dry socket, which is extremely painful. If you must, just let it drool out over a sink. Ice cream, yogurt, and mashed potatoes will be your best friends for the first few days. After that, you can chew but avoid anything that could possibly get stuck in the holes (nothing sharp or crumbly).

You'll be fine! Good luck.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Getting your teeth cut out, seems pretty extreme, but, trust me, that isn't the worst part of it.

You know what is?

The waiting to be called back there.
    The walking down the hall, preparing yourself.
    The sitting in that chair, and seeing that annoying-ass bright light.

Those are the worst part of it.

You'll get poked by some needles afterwards, but trust me. It's ridiculously short, and feels more like pinching yourself. They'll poke at your teeth, you tell them if you feel it or not, and this repeats. Eventually -- and trust me, it will be eventually -- you'll be so numb, they could crash a semi-truck into your mouth, and you would not give a fuck, LOL!

If you get put to sleep, it's a cake walk. You just sleep -- they do their job. If you get drugged up, well, you'll be so busy thinking about colors and silly stuff, by the time you can even remember you're having your wisdom teeth removed, it's over. You're good to go.

I've had to have 5 teeth extracted. I'm allergic to my own saliva, and it eats away at the enamel in my teeth. So, going to the dentist, is kind of routine for me.

Best advice I can give you is:

- Treat your teeth before going in. Brush, floss, rinse and spit. Make it a little easier on the dentist. Besides, I don't want those cute dentist assistants thinking, I have some kickin' breath. No, I'll stay fly, thank you very much, LOL!

- Take something with you, because you might be waiting for a bit, and the pre-waiting can be so stressful, as well as annoying and boring. If you have a phone/handheld game/a book/whatever, bring it to pass the time.

- Wear some comfortable clothes. Pajama pants status, soldier, if you got to! You want to feel 'free and not restricted', which can contribute to keeping the jittery feelings down. I was pretty on edge, the first time I had to get my teeth taken out, because cutting or yanking shit out of your mouth, just isn't my idea of a good time, you know? LOL.

- Prepare your bedroom, sometime before, so that it will be easier to function in. For example, have a fold-out table at the bedside, with medication, antibiotics, water bottles, tissues, and whatever else is appropriate. Maybe the television remote, too.

- Get used to eating 'mashed potatoes and Jell-O for a day or two, LOL.

- Finally, don't be afraid to take whatever prescriptions you are given. That shit right there, will have you taking a trip on the Magic School Bus!

8. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I was a bit nervous at first too. I had to get all four of mine removed as well, and oddly enough, I was more nervous about the anesthesia than the pain afterwards. I don't remember falling unconscious, but apparently when I was wheeled out, I looked like hell, lol. For a little while after coming off of the drugs, I was seeing double of everything. The drugs can either make you cry or laugh from what I've heard. I remember being more giddy. When I got home I immediately just wanted to go shoot hoops outside, and I've had friends who were determined to drive themselves home.

I didn't so much feel pain afterwards, but my mouth was so numb that I didn't know my lip was my lip. It felt like some foreign object, and when I ate, food would dribble down my chin. Stick to soft foods like yogurt, ice cream and pudding. No straws or small seeds from fruits, they could get stuck in the area where surgery was done and cause an infection. For the most part the pain wasn't bad, it was more of a pain in the ass actually. You start to get sick of eating the same soft foods over and over. The most pain I had was when I went back in for my check up appointment. Apparently my pockets were a bit swollen, so the lady had to go and clean them out. I don't know what she was doing but I swear the pain made me sweat and gave me a headache afterwards. She gave me a cup to spit into after each pocket she cleaned, and I spat blood filling half the cup, granted that it was a small one.

Sorry I don't mean to freak you out there, but as a bit of advice, clean really well, and make sure foods are soft. NO SEEDS or tiny grains. Also, rinsing with warm salt water or baking soda can help clean the area.

Best of luck, you will be fine:icon_bigg

9. Blossom85

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.. I think the above advice from everyone is wonderful, so I can't add anything else except thinking of you and try not to stress.

10. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had one wisdom tooth removed about a year ago. The tooth was already emerging from the gums, so it was very easy for the dentist to remove it. I wasn't put under anesthesia, but they did numb the area they were working on. And honestly? 15 minutes after laying down on the seat, the dentist asked how I was doing. I said I was doing alright. I thought they just finished all the preliminary work, but guess what? They were done, and the tooth was out. I honestly didn't feel a thing. They just gave me some gauze to put over the "wound" (if that's what you want to call it) and then I was able to drive myself home afterwards.

Once the pain killers started wearing off? Eh, it was a little uncomfortable, but nothing tylenol couldn't solve. And it was way more uncomfortable having that big, obnoxious tooth sticking out and digging into my gums. And two days after the whole ordeal, I honestly forgot that I had a wisdom tooth removed.

So that's my story, which I imagine would be encouraging. But if I'm going to be completely honest with you, everyone's experience is different and a lot of factors come into play. Whether or not the teeth have emerged from the gums, the angle the teeth are coming out at, how the individual will react to the pain killers/anesthesia, etc. And unfortunately I can't speak for other people's experiences, but try not to worry about it too much. Every single person I've spoken to has said that the recovery isn't nearly as bad as they anticipated, and what you expect will influence the outcome. But if you put your mind at ease and tell yourself that it's not going to be that bad (even if you don't believe it), chances are it will make your experience better than what it would be otherwise.

11. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only had 2 to begin with. I had enough drugs during the procedure that they could have pulled all my teeth and I wouldn't have cared, but the actual recovery was ridiculously easy. My jaw was stiff for a couple days and I ate steak the next day. I know someone who had nerve damage and half of her face was somewhat numb for 6 weeks, but she also fell down the steps while reading someone's emergency medical contact sheet. So weird problems are par for the course!

12. LadyRedRover

I had all four taken out when I was getting braces :slight_smile: They'll knock you out with some fantastic drugs.

I mainly remember going home and my grandpa helping me through the door. Then, him letting go of me and me just calmly sliding to the kitchen floor and sitting there giggling like a maniac lol

It'll be sore for a while, probably a week or two, and your face will be swollen but it's not too bad :slight_smile:

13. Randomcloud

Well as long as they do the anesthetic right, it shouldn't hurt much at all. During the procedure, anyway. It hurt quite a bit the following week when the swelling was going down- but just aching/bruising that you'll get used to. Hope it goes well! The longer you delay it (apparently) the more it'll hurt to get 'em out

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

4? Lucky, I got five removed. I still don't know how it happened, but the doctor didn't make a big deal out of my mutated extra tooth.

15. Hel

Hel

The operation is not hurtful if the anesthesia is done correctly (tell the dentist if you feel anything because you really shouldn't have any feelings...)

Afterward, it will be painful if you don't take the good medication and do the things you are suppose to do. If you swallow your pills and eat mostly ice creams you will be fine.

Don't stress too much. And after you can keep your teeth and make a jewelry out of it (if you are into this sort of things)!

16. Ruthven

yah really recovery wasn't bad for me. i got a broken back molar extracted and three wisdoms extracted, and yeah i bounced back after surgery real quick and worked out that day. eatin was difficult cuz of my numb lip and stuff tho lol

i took ibuprofen and some off brand tylenol or whatever and that kept the pain at bay generally and stopped takin that like a week after surgery?

you dont have to settle for stuff like mashed potatoes and stuff like that. what i did was blend and liquefy the shit outta the foods i usually eat cuz i wanted to keep my usual nutrition and stuff

bad freak out for me was when i was paranoid i was gettin food in the little openings(i noticed them like three days after surgery) where the bottom extraction sites were, but i've been super diligent about rinsin with my salt water and gargling so that was fine i guess. and then i realised i had a loose gum a week ago(and that's still tightening up), and i was freakin out over gettin food in that. but i went to the doctor guy and he gave me a syringe to get food bits outta the gum when swishin wasn't enough

and i've used the syringe on the little openings but i guess for me gargling and swishin has prolly kept stuff outta there cuz nuthin ever comes out so whatever

i went again for another check up today and everything's good and it's been two weeks since my surgery.

17. Candace

I got them taken out a few years ago. You'll basically wake up in a different room (so just ask them where you'll be, so you won't be freaked out). Your mouth will be full of gauze, along with having to hold an ice pack chronically. After 2-3 days, it'll all be over. But it seriously isn't painful at all, just annoying.

18. Perseus

If you haven't ever had a dental surgery before, like me, you would feel kinda "shocked" by the pain because I would never expect it be like that. However, in my situation, they had to break the back of my mouth and get rid of some bone that was attached to my tooth (which was extra painful). I would've preferred it if I didn't have to listen to what they were doing, especially when I had to "counteract" their forces in order for them to pull the teeth out.

I did it in 2 go-s, one side at the beginning and the other at the end of summer. Best of luck! Just remember that it's so relaxing when everything's done

19. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

its cool u get legal drugs

20. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I'm not sure what anesthetic they had me on, but it made a 45 minute procedure feel like 5 minutes (I thought it was really cool, but I'm weird like that). I felt no pain at all until I start swelling several days after the procedure. (Which was also after I ran out of meds, which weren't even the amazing ones people seem to get, just measly hydrocodone, like laaaame brah).

Odds are you're gonna be eating a lot of mashed potatoes or soup or something for a few days, give or take. No straws, don't smoke, basically no suction. Do your best to keep everything rinsed back there. Don't try to talk too much or open your mouth wide at first. Don't overdo the meds - for pain and swelling try alternating an ice pack and a warm wet cloth every so often (I did that every 15-30 minutes or so, though your mileage may vary).

My situation was also unusual in that I'd somehow gotten a dry socket without even noticing (that is until the doc started poking around in there, OUCH). Odds are if you get one though, you'll know. Anyway, I was pretty much back to normal eating habits within two weeks, but still had to rinse after meals until the sockets fully sealed back up a couple months later. Just don't panic if something seems amiss, just let your doc know and it'll probably not be as big a deal as it seems. But do let them know asap.

#20 Miles16, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014