1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any classic film fans out there?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Candide, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a bit of a film buff, with particular interest in pre-1950s film and silent cinema - but of course these days anything after 1980 is considered old! Any fellow film buffs care to join me for a natter? Can be about any era :slight_smile: What period of cinema do you love, or genre? Any film you'd recommend to others above all?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm far from a film buff, but I do like old Japanese cinema, jidaigeki. There are some really great directors like Akira Kurosawa. I love his Seven Samurai.

3. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best pre-50s film I've watched is nosferatu (that's out of 4 pre-50 films I've seen)

4. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love classic films, specifically pre-80's war films, (Zulu, A Bridge Too Far, Lawrence of Arabia [of course lol], 55 days at Peking). I also am a very big fan of westerns, new and old, as evidenced by my avatar.

If I had to recommend a favorite film from each of my genres:

(War Films): Lawrence of Arabia, if you have not seen this, you really, really, really should, it is a fantastic piece of cinema.
    (Western): Once Upon a Time in The West, a fantastic spaghetti western with brilliant music by Ennio Morricone and excellent acting by Bronson and Fonda.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I enjoy some "classic" films.

I like a lot of the old Universal Horror films, like Dracula, The Wolfman, and Frankenstein. There's some ridiculous 1950s films, too, but none are coming to me at the moment. I also enjoyed Nosferatu. Some of the special effects, especially considering the time, are fairly impressive.

I enjoy a great deal of Charlie Chaplin's works, with The Great Dictator being my favorite of his.

My favorite war film -- sticking pre-1950s -- is All Quiet on the Western Front. No contest.

If we're going to count the 1960s to the year 1980, well, I'll have to take a rain check on that.

If you haven't seen it, then I would suggest seeing The Great Dictator and All Quiet on the Western Front.

6. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have had Seven Samurai in my DVD collection for so long and I've never watched it, that must be remedied.

Nosferatu is a favourite of mine, my first silent! That One Guy - I'd really recommend the silent The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari if you liked Nosferatu. It's even weirder and even more expressionist. Gloriously creepy.

LibertyValance, I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia - awful for a film buff, huh! That's definitely on my list!

Kaiser - I'm a big fan of the Universal Horrors too, especially the ones you mentioned. Though I actually saw Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein before I saw Frankenstein!
    I haven't seen enough Chaplin though I've seen a few. Have you ever seen any Buster Keaton?

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No, I have not. Wait, actually, maybe... but I can't recall. I sometimes catch old shorts, in the twilight hours, on TCM. So, maybe I have, but none that I can recall. Should I?

Somebody else I'd suggest is Abbott and Costello, and some of their crossovers with the classic Universal Horror characters. I don't know if you can count the Three Stooges, but they're worth checking out, though most people know what they're like already.

Major cool points for Mel Brooks, though, darling. He was a man ahead of his time. I really enjoyed Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs, from him. You couldn't get away with a movie like Blazing Saddles nowadays, despite the fact, it was a film representing anti-racism and anti-bigotry.

Chaplin is an entertaining fellow. I love his voice, when he did do speaking films. It's very soft and melodic-sounding.

#7 Kaiser, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  8. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ooh Buster.. One of my "if I was straight.." Though I still find him aesthetically beautiful, inside and out - and an amazing filmmaker. He was funny and had a handle on cinematography. I wholeheartedly recommend him :slight_smile: Sherlock, Jr.?, for sweetness and inventiveness, and The General for subtle comedy and cinematic beauty.

Spaceballs!! I *still* giggle about the baby alien in a top hat. Every now and then I have to mimic that..
    You're right, Blazing Saddles was very ahead of its time.

Yes, Chaplin had a lovely voice. Despite his comic violence in his earlier short films, he was a gentle soul. Oh, in fact, if you have ever seen Limelight then you have seen Buster in action with Chaplin!

Abbott and Costello and The Three Stooges, I must explore their work. The UK TCM is appallingly bad and shows nothing like them, or the silent comedians.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like some of the old classics, like for example the Nick and Nora Charles series, Casablanca, Bringing up Baby (the baby being the leopard) 2001, the first Jaws, Star Wars episode 4-6, all of the Indy Jones movies except nm 2, The Wild One, Easyriders, Lawrence of Arabia, The man who shot Liberty Valance, 55 days at Peking, the original planet of the apes with Charlton Heston, Ice station zebra, American Graffiti, Tora tora tora, D day, breakout, or any well made movie that is not only entertaining, but one that you can learn something of history as well. This surprises my brother, considering I was born in the mid 80's.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I'm a huge classic films fan, and also a fan of foreign and indie films. The bulk of what Hollywood puts out these days just doesn't catch my interest---all these 'blockbusters' and sequels that look so similar to each other, larded with special effects and action, and short on plot, meaning and artist integrity.

11. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :eusa_clap, you watch many other westerns? The Big Sky, The Searchers, Shane, Once Upon a Time in The West, The Shootist, 3:10 to Yuma, True Grit, The Magnificent Seven?

Out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite westerns? I am always looking for more to watch, and while I have seen a fair few there are many more I haven't seen but would like to!

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Metropolis is good. I also like "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" and "Nosferatu". Charlie Chaplin is a favorite, not gonna lie, and the Marx Brothers are funny too.

I'm really into old sci fi films and creature features myself, especially ones from the 50's. I never get tired of them! Not because they're good, per se, but they're a hobby of mine, and the more obscure or bizarre the better. I'm also into Alfred Hitchcock, and Vincent Price. And outside of film, but still in the media, I'm a big original series Twilight Zone fan, and I grew up on 50's and 60's tv - The Munsters and The Addams Family in particular are still favorites, and I'm a shameless Trekkie.

I'm also a Stanley Kubrick fan. And one of my favorite films of all time is "Harold and Maude".

I like plenty of pre-80's cinema and media. :slight_smile:

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Good contributions. I enjoy those as well.

As for the eternal Munsters vs Addams Family debate. I really enjoyed both shows, but the dynamic between Gomez and Morticia, for me, is what gives the latter the edge. Of course, Grandpa Munster trumps Pugsley, but that's about it.

One of my favorite episodes, is when Gomez tries to lose money in the stock market, but he keeps winning.

14. Candide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Harold and Maude was so beautiful.

Has anyone seen Arsenic and Old Lace? The mention of Bringing Up Baby reminded me as it's another Cary Grant film! Both are hugely funny.

I need to finish my Addams Family boxset. What do people think of the film version?

15. TheStormInside

I don't know if I qualify as a "film buff" but I do enjoy some older films, for sure. I am fond of Hitchcock, my favorite being "Spellbound", though I also love the better known "Psycho," as well, and enjoy his other films, too.

Older horror/sci fi is fun, too. The original "Invasion of the Pod People" is actually quite chilling. I like psychological horror like "Rosemary's Baby," as well. "Nosferatu" is pretty great, as is the original "Dracula" (armadillos, anyone?). For those of you who enjoyed Nosferatu, have you seen "Shadow of the Vampire"?

Not sure if it counts as "classic" or "old," but I also enjoy some of those earlier Spielberg films, especially "ET" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

Not a film.. but a TV series, I'm also quite a fan of "The Twilight Zone."

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you can accept the fact, that the films were meant to be loving tributes, and not perfect replicas of the original television series, then they are acceptably okay. Personally, I love Christina Ricci's performance as Wednesday Addams, especially in the sequel, Addams Family Values. The scenes with her at summer camp are fantastic!

17. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I've seen the 1931 Dracula and Frankenstein. They were good.
    I want to see the Spanish version of Dracula, as there seem to be some interesting differences.

18. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The two bolded I haven't seen yet, liked the others you mentioned. When I was growing up my parents had the tv channels limited to what we could watch. This one channel had nothing but old western tv shows (I think because they didn't have to pay much for them :lol: ) Wanted dead or alive, the rifleman, have gun will travel, roy rogers show, and it got me interested in the western genre. I used to imagine being Annie Oakley, and became a very good shooter when I got older. (beat all the boys in a country shooting contest )

As far as which one is my favorite, I'd have to think about that a little bit.

19. Candace

Oh hell yeah!! My dad is a big Hollywood cinema aficionado and for that reason, I grew up watching movies from that time. I particularly like screwball comedies, such as Bringing Up Baby, films that have a nice racing plot, such as King Kong (1933) and Robin Hood (1938). I also have a huge admiration for silent films with Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd. 90 years ago and they're still funny to this day :slight_smile:

20. Somnus

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a fondness towards noir films from the 40's detective movies and all that awesomeness I grew up watching them with my grandma I think I may just have a fascination with the 1900's in general haha.