1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J-Lo's "Booty" - feminism and mysogyny?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Personally I've always focused more on all of the honor killings and female genital mutilation as the worst of the problems.

2. White Knight

Oh my that video is fugly piece of crap. No aesthetics, no song and no meaning...

For me biggest insult here is calling that thing a music video and that playing disaster as song...

And people complain about Gaga. At least she is making songs.

3. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Egalitarianism is a philosophy and lifestyle, it is not an activist group. I'm quoting an egalitarian on that, by the way. It could probably work if literally every person all over the world were egalitarians but since that's not the case... I'll stick to feminism. At least they're doing things.

And... I agree with your answer about the video. :thumbsup:

4. 741852963

I think thats the crux of it. People should live and let live.

I think when your writhing around in a bikini covered in baby oil you are very much setting yourself up as an object in that scenario (as its difficult to take someone seriously in that instance) and there is nothing wrong with that if its voluntary. Likewise, if a girl goes out in hotpants and a tube top, she needs to accept that men aren't going to be asking about her bachelors degree or thoughts on world affairs first and foremost! Now I don't want to sound like I'm blaming sexual assault victims (I don't think clothing choices are a predictive factor of rape), just that some reaction (be it cat calling or unwanted attention) from other people is foreseeable. It is called "dressing provocatively" for a reason, it provokes a response.

Actually, you did use a real example! I kid you not: The real reason men should keep their legs together | Barbara Ellen | Comment is free | The Observer

Mind you, Barbara Ellen is the sort who would write an article criticizing men for sneezing too loud, coming to the conclusion its all part of a patriarchal conspiracy to keep women oppressed. Definitely giving feminists a bad name that one.

It does have a meaning! Its about bums! (I must admit I am somewhat "mesmerized by the size of it"). :lol:

I'd agree though, its pretty dire. How Iggy Azalea keeps getting work is beyond me. She makes Nicki Minaj look like the most talented female rapper in the business by comparison. She can barely rap and that fake Southern accent is a bit weird - she'd probably improve tenfold by dropping the act and rapping in her native accent.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, he knows.

An Gentleman is only mentioning it because he wants to claim, categorically, that these sorts of "petty issues" are the only ones feminists focus on. Research would show him otherwise, and in particular, it would show him that not all feminists think the same way, but that would require him to read feminists as opposed to what critics of feminism say about feminists.

#25 Pret Allez, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  6. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just want to state I am not against feminism at all. I think live and let live. It's just the issue of dress... I totally think dress how you want! And again, it's not just women, men are in the same boat. Lack of dress brings out desire. Dressing sexy turns people on. Just be aware of this. However, the way you dress should not turn you into a victim or some sick person. I'm just trying to be clear that I am not against feminism at all or against anyone dressing however they want or living their life however they want. Live and let live. I just get tired of the view that no reaction at all should happen (most of the time the reaction is just lust in your mind, but you still react to sexy)... It's all good and no hard feeling towards feminists. Hell, feminists got us to where we are today. I mean thank god for them, really. I am a woman, and thankful for the strides... It's only the who objectifying women argument that gets to me a bit. Anyway, that's all...

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that article is the biggest load of crap I have ever read and I've been to the Flat Earther's website...

It's people like that that make feminists look ridiculous and irrelevant. However, it's also a tendency for people to focus on issues like that and ignore more important issues that feminists are concerned with.

8. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    shouldn't be a victim *FOR some sick person. Typo...